3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting boots?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting boots?
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
I've been researching quality mountain boots. It's a bit daunting. For those experienced elk hunters, what boot do you prefer?

Here are my choices so far:

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme
Lowa Tabet GTX
Meindl Perfekt Hunters
Lathop & Sons Mountain Hunter

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting boots?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I've been using the salomon quest. Easily had at REI I use them most of the year here in CO.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I like my Meindls I also use an Asolo boot for early season/dry conditions.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Dennis,

Of those on your list I have only worn the Meindl Perfect Hunters and like them a lot.  If I was just starting out I might take a look at the Kenetreks also just because of the recommendations of others.  Prior to my Meindls I spent 18 years in Danner Elk Hunters but wouldn't recommend them now.  Not familiar with the other boots other than by name.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Dennis, If you like the Meindl Perfect Hunters also take a look the Perfect Hikers.  My hunting partner likes them over the Hunters.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I have really liked my Zamberlan 996 VIOZ GTX. I'm only on my 3rd season with them but they have been holding up good. For a full leather boot they are light and quite to me. I have had good luck with Danner, Vasque boots and good athletic shoes.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Kenetrek period. I have many many miles on mine and they are still going. I have tried others, but these are the best for my feet.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
I know you don't have them listed but in my opinion the Meindl Denali is as good as any boot made. I've had several and they are great. I literally put Thousands of miles on my first pair.  I also have kenetreks but unless you are hunting the late season the are a little heavy and warm. The Hard scrabbles are worth looking into also. We have a shop that specializes in Mountain boots a couple hours from my house. It is nice to try them out before laying down that much cash! You might check for dealers of the boots on your final list in your area.

John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
I love my Russell Moccasins.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
I wear the Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers.  Same boot as the extreme, but not as high, thus lighter.  Provide plenty of support. By comparison, I've worn Vasque and Danners in the past.  Like the Kenetreks better.  These are wearing very well also.  If I ever need another pair, I'll get the same ones.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
I use the Crispi Valdres and have been very pleased.

http://www.blackovis.com/crispi-valdres-plus-gtx-hunting-boot

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Depends are your foot design, I love Lowa or Meindles but I have a wide foot with high arch, can't wear Kenetrek. Get your foot sized up first and use a good insole.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the brand, I'd worry about what fits best. Everyone has a different foot. As for what to look for in a boot, I look for a full leather upper with as few seams as possible with a full rubber rand from a company made in Romania, Italy or Germany (in no particular order). Buy first world made boots and you get what you pay for, made in Vietnam or Korea and you also get what you pay for. Also, pick the features that suit the terrain and weather that you'll be in most. My current boots for backpacking/hunting/hiking or anything else with a pack on my back are Lowa and I wear Russell Moccasins (thinnest sole they sell and very little support, but whisper quiet) for stalking any game once I get to where I'm actually hunting.

I can't stress enough, brand is not important, fit is.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the boots you listed. Quality is top notch with all of them. It will have more to do with personal fit.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by -Zor:
I wouldn't worry about the brand, I'd worry about what fits best. Everyone has a different foot. As for what to look for in a boot, I look for a full leather upper with as few seams as possible with a full rubber rand from a company made in Romania, Italy or Germany (in no particular order). Buy first world made boots and you get what you pay for, made in Vietnam or Korea and you also get what you pay for. Also, pick the features that suit the terrain and weather that you'll be in most. My current boots for backpacking/hunting/hiking or anything else with a pack on my back are Lowa and I wear Russell Moccasins (thinnest sole they sell and very little support, but whisper quiet) for stalking any game once I get to where I'm actually hunting.

I can't stress enough, brand is not important, fit is.
x2. The last couple of years, I have worn LLBean Hunting boots, which work well for all but the most gnarly mountain hiking, and are very quiet and super comfortable. For 'real' hiking boots, I have had success with Asolo and Lowas, but I have found that most, if not all, Goretex boots leak after a couple of seasons. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Salomans. Rock, mud, screw, waterproof. They do it all.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
I have a pair of Schnees Beartooth and they are great! I have compared them to just about everything and they are at least as good as the very best and better than most! After 3 hard years of hunting in mountains and elsewhere, they show almost no sign of wear!

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I would seriously consider Crispi boots. I have a pair of the Nevadas, best boot I have owned. Zero break in required.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
I have not hunted elk for a few years now.  Previously, I hunted Colorado 4 years in a row.

I used Meindl Perfekt Hikers all four times. The last two we backpacked in 4+ miles, then daily another 1 mike or so from base camp.

I was very pleased with these boots and I have very flat feet which causes problems when carrying heavy loads. Plus, they kept my feet dry.  I did prepare them with conditioner/waterproofing every year prior to hunting tho.

I still have these boots and they are  still very servicable. I will be using them this fall for elk but the terrain will be much less harsh then on previous hunts.

Good luck!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©