3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting boots?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting boots?
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Dennis,
  I currently have the Denalis.
  There are a lot of good offerings in boots out there. The problem I have experienced with the shorter hiking boots is if you are not wearing gaiters and walking in damp or wet conditions your socks get wet and it wicks down in the boot.

My opinion and experience.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Good point, Pat. I think I'm going to go with their the Perfekt Hunters or the Perfekt Extreme. I kinda prefer the full rand on the PE boots.

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Over the past 10 years or so, I've transitioned from robust, heavily-supported mountaineering type boots to a lighter, more flexible hiking style boot.

Typical hunt is 5-7 days at an average of 6-9 miles per day at elevations between 7500-9500 feet.

Started with a couple of pairs of Zamberlans, then the Schnee's uninsulated Beartooth. They performed well. Hunted a Crispi (I believe it was the Idaho?) 2 seasons ago and it leaked like a sieve.

After reading all of the positive reviews of the Salomon Quest 4d's, I gave them a try last season. I was skeptical about hunting with such a low-cut, flexible boot and I even brought an older pair of Zamberlans to stash at basecamp so I could retrieve when needed. The Salomons were awesome. Felt like I was wearing slippers compared to the stiffer, heavier boots. Kept me dry through morning dew and 2 days of fairly steady rain (no snow during archery season this year), and were plenty of support for a fairly rigorous elk hunt with a 30 pound pack.

I will be hunting the Salomons again this season, with no "big boot" backup.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
If you want a mid, I had Lowa Renegade GTX boots and they served me fairly well. The only time they really didn't do well was a hunt we got several inches of snow. They wetted out quickly and never dried out the rest of the hunt. I've got one year in on a pair of Zamberlan 980s (much higher boot) and I have no complaints. They took a lot longer to break in than the Lowas did, but they're a much stiffer boot.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
The L.L. Bean Cresta all leather hikers are tough to beat. They are European made, extremely comfortable and take minimum break in time. I've had mine now for close to 15 years and they are still in pretty good condition.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »
i have the meindls and love them...made it through back to back wyoming mule deer camp hunts and an en elk hunt in Utah. No blisters, stayed dry, great traction and support. Highly recommend them.
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
hanwags...all the way
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©