3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear Sharp?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear Sharp?
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
This is not an edge debate. How sharp is the "Fred Bear" edge? Is it just sharp enough to cut hair? Would it shave?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear Sharp?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
I have to ask......WHAT is the Fred Bear edge ?

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
That what I've heard people call it. It's just a filed edge. Making a burr and just nocking it off.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
I've done it.  File sharp, then hit it for a few minutes on a kitchen knife steel.  It'll shave as clean as a leather stropped edge, but you can feel the rough edge drag on your skin.  I've only killed one deer with trad gear, but it performed very well on that one.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
If that's what it is, then done correctly it will shave hair.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
If that's what it is, then done correctly it will shave hair.
Yes it will. And slice fingers.  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
I use a Fred bear edge if you wanna call it that. I get the burr done than just touch it with either leather or a steel. I shot through a 300# pig  with a 450 grain arrow using them like that and a few whitetails. It's a rough edge not like a muzzy. But it works for me.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
And yes it will shave hair right off my arm with ease.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
I like razor sharp.  I gave razor sharp broad heads a real chance a few seasons back.  After reading Ashbys work, he suggests that BH should be sharp enough to shave your beard with ease.  My experience concurs with him.  Two critters I took really changed my mind.  A sow and a buck that both went less than 45 yrds.  Bloodtrails were to say the least no issue.
I hunted for many years with file sharp, but I am now firmly in the razor sharp camp.  If a hunter does not wish to take the time to obtain needed equipment and skill to learn sharpening to a razor level, I really think they would be well served to just buy razor sharp cut on contact BH.  It would be money well spent in recovery of game.

Research Article Part 8

http://tuffhead.com/education/ashby.html
Longbows & Short Shots

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
I've never been able to shave with that method, it takes a little longer with a razoredge clamp but when done they will pop hairs off just sliding the blade over your arm. I'm a firm believer in RAZOR sharp heads.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
One observation that I would like to bring into the conversation is that Fred shot a 65# bow. There is considerable more energy available with that heavy of a draw weight than say a 45# bow. I shoot a 50# @ 28 and I try to get my heads as sharp as I can. I believe that I have less margin of error than a heavy bow guy would. While all bows require a sharp edge to get penetration, it is imperative for those of us shooting lighter equipment.  I have three step process that I use. First, I use a flat file to widen the edge as Fred did, then I use a 3R hollow ground jig that I run my Zwickey's through to get the hollow ground profile, and them some time on a ceramic rod to get the razor edge.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
I personally like it best. Simple, and works every time! I heard someone say one time a surgeon uses the edge he does to minimize bleeding, and heal quickly, I want neither of those things! Im not in any way trying to start a debate, i just have had great results with "Fred Bear sharp."
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
"fred bear edge".  never heard that one and i thought i'd heard it all.  live and learn, eh?

this is simple stuff, no need for over thinking.

all that matters is if you did the sharpening job right, and the broad will shave hair off yer arm.  that's it.  

now you'll prolly ask, how do i sharpen a 2, 3, or 4 blade broadhead?  go check out the 'how to - resources' board, just a few clicks away.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Either a razor edge or a "Fred Bear" edge will shave hair or kill a game animal just fine. If you don't believe it, just read some of the threads similar to this all over the place. You will get convincing stories that "prove" each edge is better than the other. But, if it will shave hair, it will do the trick as long as the shot placement is good.
Sam

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
Well said Rob!    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
.....all that matters is if you did the sharpening job right, and the broad will shave hair off yer arm.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
really, i don't understand the logic behind threads like this.  what is there NOT to understand about broadhead lethality?  make it sharp like a razor.  so sharp that yer scared to touch it.  protect that edge, too - don't wanna dull it needlessly cause you want it to do its job well (IF you do yer job well with arrow placement).

again, if yer not sure how to get most any blade razor sharp, seek out out our resources board.  if that don't help, then make a thread and ask how.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
I Agree Rob, maybe another forum section for beginners to ask these questions is needed along with. Which arrow is the best,do i need a 200 grain broadhead, how fast can i make my arrow, is 25% FOC too much on and on an on...i been on trad gang since the early 2000's and left for a while due to home circumstances along with the same old boring questions being asked every week.. There's a wealth of knowledge for any answer if people use the search features that are on here. I see it everyday young people love to make things complicated...Bowhunting with the trad bow an life is better if things are simple. Also seems people now days want to be shooters instead of hunters.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
 I heard someone say one time a surgeon uses the edge he does to minimize bleeding,
I hate to admit this but, last year I was shooting a razor sharp Bear razorhead into a foam target.  The BH was stuck in the target. In stead of turning the target upside down and putting my foot on the target, Was wearing shorts. I just put my knee on it, pulled and that razor sharp head went across my calf right below the knee. I dropped the arrow and looked down. Already had blood in my shoe.Went to my work bench, grabbed a roll of paper towels to hold against it and hobbeled to the steps to go upstairs. Four inch cut plus hit a vein. Left a blood trail across the basement a blind man could follow. Never believe a razor sharp edge reduces the bleeding.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
You are correct sir it does not reduce bleeding ....it actually encourages bleeding because a super smooth cut will not coagulate as quick as a jagged one...
 there's not as same amount of trauma sent to the area plus the surgeon uses such a scalpel also to reduce scarring.

The cleaner the cut the easier it is for the surgeon to work on you and the tissues he's fixing.

This however does not mean that a File Edge will not work and kill game make no mistake about it.A file edge will serve its purpose and more so if done correctly.

I'm going to continue to call this a file edge because I've been around for a while and I've never heard it called a Fred Bear Edge... maybe that's a new term made up by someone.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©