3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why all the lightweight bows!?  (Read 1133 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Why all the lightweight bows!?
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
There are so many good deals on bows that I've always wanted to try but it seems like nobody shoots over 45# anymore.  Are guys actually hunting with bows in the 43-45 lb range?  That's barely over the minimum for whitetail in many states.  My 3 bows are 57, 58, and 67#, maybe it's time to scale down some
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why all the lightweight bows!?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
Many people are shooting better more efficient arrow set ups with lighter bows and obtaining adequate penetration.  That is my take on it.  Higher FOC and shooting heavier arrows.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Born in 1950 shot wgts. up to 60+ now almost 67 I like 50lbs.May happen to you also.Kip

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ulysseys:
There are so many good deals on bows that I've always wanted to try but it seems like nobody shoots over 45# anymore.  Are guys actually hunting with bows in the 43-45 lb range?  That's barely over the minimum for whitetail in many states.  My 3 bows are 57, 58, and 67#, maybe it's time to scale down some
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
We traditional archers are an aging group. The average hunter age keeps going up too. Lighter bows keep us in the game.

I just came from the Baltimore Bowman shoot where I noticed a couple walking sticks on the bow rack outside the clubhouse.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Kip I'm more along the lines of trying it now....I'm starting to think a mid 40s bow would be a pleasure even though I don't struggle with the weight I currently shoot.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
We're all getting old(er). You'll see one of these days.    :saywhat:     :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I don't hunt, but at 70 I can't handle the weight any more. Lighter bows are just more pleasant to shoot.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
Research some testing done by Fred bear and a few others throughout the years.  Sam fadalas book explains it we'll in detail. I was shocked to read myself how a 60 # bow is only not that much more efficient as far as power.  I hunt with bows 43-55# and never had issues.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
Im 34 years old. Been a heavy weightlifter my whole life. On a good day I can bench 300lbs for 8-9 reps but heavier bows still limit the amount I can shoot without shoulder or tricep tendon issues. My go to is a 57 lb widow but Im not buying any more bows over 50lbs. Just no reason to. A 610 gr arrow will go through everything I need it to.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
I've been shooting trad on and off for years and never managed to get very consistent. I finally swallowed my pride and went to 45# bows. Now I'm consistent and shooting better than ever. I've also gained quite a bit of draw length as well.

Offline Bowsage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
I thought I was killing deer with a 40 lb bow, after a number of years I checked the weight ...35 lbs.at my draw length.

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Lately I've been shooting my 44# bow more than anything else, mostly because I can hold it for longer, aim easier, and with a 500 grain arrow I'm still getting 180 fps which is more than enough for whitetails and the occasional black bear. It's also much more friendly to my fingers than my 54&60# bows.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
The other thing is that the bows we are shooting now are often more efficient due to the materials used in their construction, their design and arrow components, FOC etc. You can shoot through deer all day long with 40#, or even less.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Yep! Explains why so many are paranoid about arrow weight and broadhead design.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Yep! Explains why so many are paranoid about arrow weight and broadhead design.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Hmmmm....some need to run some numbers and do their own tests.

A 45# bow will NOT have the same power as the same model bow at 60#s with the same grains per pound arrow.  Run the numbers...they don't lie.

Shoot what you shoot best but don't diss heavier bows as less effecient....that dog don't ever hunt.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Arrow and broadhead matter most. I shot a 200plus pound black bear several years ago as it climbed down a tree. Arrow entered just in front of the rear haunches and exited through the sternum. 2" wide tree shark went the entire length of the bear, passed through the sternum, and sunk into the red oak she was on. Bow was probably 50lbs at my draw

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Actually accuracy is most important... and it doesn't take much to get through a deer or a black bear ....they're both just grocery bags full of shaving cream with a few Tinker Toys and one ball joint... just don't hit the ball joint cause you're not guaranteed to get through that with any bow or Broadhead.

Either way that still doesn't mean that heavier bows are not more efficient... run the numbers
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Age and target panic has made me go lower in poundage. But when I shot the bear in my avatar with a 45# bow and he was dead in 10 seconds after a complete pass thru.......   :saywhat:   all the proof I needed.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©