3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another yankee moving to Georgia!!  (Read 636 times)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
Another yankee moving to Georgia!!
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
It looks like a pretty done deal that I'm going to be taking a job in Atlanta. I just need to come down and do a meet and greet and tour the facility I'd be working at in the next few weeks. I used to live halfway between Columbus and Macon after I got out of college and even shot my first bowkill (with a recurve of the ground) at Joe kurz wma. So I'm not unfamiliar with living in the south or the outdoors opportunities. But metro Atlanta is definitely a different world! I'm looking for any advice on areas to consider, stay away from, schools for two little ones, and obviously places to fling an arrow! I'd be working right around the Atlanta airport and realize that traffic can really affect commute times. Feel free to chime in or pm me any advice and I'm looking forward to getting back to the south!!

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another yankee moving to Georgia!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Areas to stay away from??? ATLANTA!  I work for GA. POWER  and I absolutely hate having to get inside the perimeter. You may not find it to be so bad. McDonough would be a nice place to settle for you and a short commute.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Bowhunting?
Jim

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
My daughter lives near Buford/Lawrenceville area north east of Atlanta. Seems pretty nice around there and it's near lake Lanier. I plan to move there in the near future if all goes well.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks, dendy! I know what you mean about having to get into the inner city. Luckily my job is on the southern perimeter and we are looking south of the city right now around newnan, fayettville, and such. I will look into McDonough. Are there any ranges or areas around there to shoot? We plan to rent for the first year or so until we have a better idea where we want to purchase a home.

Ron w, I actually used the search function and read some of your old threads about moving down there. Glad to hear its still the game plan!

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Greygoose, I guess I did ask anything specifically trad related. Sorry about that! I've read over alot of old threads about hunting in Georgia and learned alot. I also worked for the GA dnr right out of school so I understand how a lot of their regs work and know a few places to look into come bow season. But I am looking for places to shoot around Atlanta. And I'm always open to suggestions for hogs. That's what I'm most excited about! I can find deer all over, but hogs are different! I am also curious about trad groups. I know theres the TBOG group and north GA has an active group. But what about south of the city?

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
10-4, Bunyan, and no offense taken nor intended - I took your question as looking for places/people to hunt and shoot with, but feared the thread was starting to diverge to non-trad topics.  I hope your move goes well, and happy hunting when you get there.
Jim

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Greygoose, no problem! After looking back over my post I realized it was a little vague. I think I was just excited at the prospect of heading down there and what it has to offer!

Offline LCJ-CSA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
Sent you a PM...

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Andy,
I'm in Aiken/Augusta area.  Also have a big hog lease in south central Georgia.  Won't be back until fall.  Give me a shout then...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Best places in the area as far as schools are Gwinnett and Cobb Counties, both of which are on the north side far from the airport are the best areas for public schools. Southside around the airport is a Ghetto in the worst terms, I grew up in College Park before MARTA which was the turning point for the area back in the mid to late 70's. I would search down I-85 south of the perimeter around Sharpsburg down to Moreland and Newnan. You are also into some really good deer hunting all along that corridor.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Lee, pm received! Thanks!

Tippit, if i get this gig, look to hear from me for more details. I always enjoy your threads and posts and am sure any lease you're involved in couldn't be too shabby!

David, thanks for the Intel on the area. My wife is currently looking at places around Fayetteville. They look nice and you get much more bang for your buck than you do up here, but I'm trying to keep her on a lower budget so theres something left over for a lease. But don't let her know that!!

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
I was just in Cordele three weeks ago.  Flew into ATL and then drove south.
Nothing like 6 lanes each way of I-75 in the downtown.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Your property taxes will be high and bang for buck will be lower in Fulton County. Near the airport, S Fulton and Clayton CO's are so bad that even the Thugs are scared and trying to move out. I wouldn't slow down to look until I got to Coweta or Meriwether Counties, it's a different world there.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
bunyan, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on deer hunting since you have lived in Georgia. One of the guys you need to confer with is RC. He is THE Georgia Pig Man and can be a useful resource. Welcome back to the sunny South.
Sam

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Wheels, luckily (or unluckily!) I grew up in the dc suburbs of Maryland and learned to drive in that and of traffic. I'm not looking forward to it, but I can survive!

David, meriweather county is very nice. I spent lots of time hunting in that area. We keep running into the problem of finding a nice house and then the school district isn't rated high, or theres power lines running through the yard, or something. The joys of house hunting!

Sam, I've never had the pleasure of conversing with RC, but his posts have always caught my attention! That guy knows a thing or two and even though I'm not new to trad, if he says something, I'm gonna listen!

Offline sandlapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
I also live in the Aiken- Augusta area. You just missed a great shoot in the Augusta area. The Appling Archers put on a shoot every year about this time. It is a free shoot, with free food and camping. They are a great group of people. It would not be a bad drive from Atlanta.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
For the best public schools it's Gwinnett and Cobb, there is no shortage of deer just about anywhere in GA. There are somevery large suburban bucks in Gwinnett and they have an additional archery season to the end of January. When I lived there bow season started mid Sept and I didn't stop until January 31.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
I know its been a few weeks since I started this thread, but i thought id give a brief update. After doing an interview via Skype, I was asked to fly down to Atlanta for a follow up in person interview, meet and greet, and tour of the facility where ill be working. I just got back on Wednesday and today they called and offered me the position!! So my family and I are definitely relocating! I wanted to thank everyone for their input on the area and will definitely be reaching out about hunting and shooting opportunities. First is going to be the craziness of moving, and popping onto tradgang will definitely be a stress reliever during this hectic time, even if I'm too busy packing to fling aim arrows!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©