3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When you began your trad journey, what's the best advice you wish you had received?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
When I began my trad journey, I had no mentors. I had a desire burning within me, but what I did have was the internet. I learned a lot from people like Jimmy Blackmon, Scott Antczak and other videos as well as the great men and women of TradGang. That said, it was a slow, but steady progress for me. So many of you began before the internet. I'm not excluding those who began during the internet era, please chime in as well. What piece of advice or direction do you wish you had received when you began? Could be anything from shooting to hunting or woodsmanship skills. What are the things that are your nemesis? You know, those things that haunt you today or took you a long time to master? I mean those things that if you had discovered earlier would have helped you more quickly in the beginning.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Take lessons from someone who knows how to shoot a
Bow well so as to avoid bad habits.

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Don't get a bow to heavy to start. I'd be a long ways from where I am if I had started with 20#
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Start with a very light bow and an instructor. That's what I did after taking Mr. Rod Jenkins class, took a while to break 40 years of bad habits but now 3 years later much improved and continuing to strive to get better.

Still have to think about proper back tension at anchor and good alignment. The old habits of arm draw and poor alignment still creep in.
shoot straight shoot often

• Trad Bowhunter
I can totally relate to all three of you. I think I can completely agree with your insights! Good stuff!

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice I wish I had:

Woulda saved me about 3 years of reading fragmented info.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Always try to shoot with someone better than you.  It trains you and humbles you, both of which are quite helpful...
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

• Trad Bowhunter
Good stuff, RJ & BAK

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
I had no computers. I wish I would have had instruction on staying light and perfecting my release.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I started in the early 90's and bought a 70# Black Widow and was shooting 2-300 shots a day. More on weekends. I wish someone would've took that bow and whacked me in he head with it and told me to get a light bow and learn to aim and shot sequence. I was a mid 20's young stout stud straight out of the service and thought I had to have a big powerful bow. I quickly learned bad snap shooting habits. Mostly from aerial targets. Amazingly though I was good. Really good. It eventually ruined my shoulder though. Snap shooting was pretty well all we knew then. Hill, Asbell, Ferguson. I read everything that was available then and that was the common theme.  I have slightly slowed down now but still shoot faster than most. Just my experience.

JOHN
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
carbon arrows are stiffer than you think , this could have saved me years of shooting the wrong arrow
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back in 1967, I watched my Uncle Herb. Then I read everything I could find on the newsstand. Stories of Fred Bear, Jim Dougherty, Howard Hill and a host of others. Would have nice if there was a Trad Gang or something even close, but I did the best I could.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Fanatic- Like you, I had no traditional archery mentors. I wore out a copy of Masters of Barebow I. The whole crew seemed like regular guests in my house for a few months.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Not to over-bow myself was the best advice I received.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Understanding arrow spine - I started early 70s no mentors looking back those early years were rough!!!
<><
<--------------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Back in the mid '60's I wish someone would've taught me about tuning and introduced me to a variety of bow styles.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
I started my journey off and on about the same time internet was starting to bloom. I wish someone had told me about Trad Gang instead of having to stumble upon it on my own years down the road. So much knowledge in a single location.
More specifically..... I wish someone had told me sooner to "Focus on the journey, not the outcome."
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
I was introduced to archery by a friend in 1977 who was and is today a compound shooter. i spent a few evenings shooting with him and I was hooked for life. I went to a local gun/archery shop and bought my first bow, a Browning Explorer compound. No one we knew shot traditional bows, as the compound movement was at its peak. However, there was just something about a Recurve that seemed magical to me. I watched VCR tapes of Fred Bear and John Schultz. I read Mr Asbells books, and any and everything else I could find on trad archery. We had no computers then. I remember my friend thought I had lost my mind when I told him I was buying a Recurve and hanging up my compound.
Now, to your question. I wish someone with knowledge and compassion had been there to steer me away from heavy bows. I  spent years shooting foo much weight, practicing poor form and bad habits!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Like others have stated. Lighter bow for sure. And yes carbon arrows are way stiff. Also to slow down.   I had no mentor ship. All trial and error.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
learn from the past, don't try to reinvent what already works well.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©