3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur or Big Jim  (Read 1382 times)

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur or Big Jim
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
I will be turning 40 on my next birthday and am wanting to have a full custom longbow built for myself. I have it narrowed down to these two builders and know what woods I want to use. Both have really great reviews on all their bows and I'm just wondering what's everyone's take on either the Centaur Glass model compared to a Big Jim Buffalo as far as smoothness,noise, and shootablity. Speed is not a major concern but would like to have as much as I can get without sacrificing any of the before mentioned attributes of the bow.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur or Big Jim
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
That's a tough choice! Both are top shelf. Me personally I'd go with Big Jim. Simply because I don't prefer finger grooves and I believe the buffalo is quieter than the centaur. And Big Jim's s nack for combining wood combos and esthetics is unmatched! IMO
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
I would say the centaur is a tough one to beat. Especially with all the custom options available, they are really heirloom quality.

I would go with the dark matter option for the riser and wood scales on the side. You get the look of wood with the strength and weight of the dark matter.

The glass centaurs are really sweet shooting bows and very quiet.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Man that's a tough one! I've shot both and would go with the centaur for the smoothest draw cycle. But also I think the wait on a big Jim might be better? If you haven't already id give Randy Madden at Primal Tech a good look his bows are on par with either of those big names.

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Thank so for the input so far. The wait time is not a problem with either builder. I'd rather wait for a great bow as get a good bow faster.

Scott E. I hadn't thought of the dark matter option on the but would go with the XTL lams for little more spunk. How much more mass weight would the DM add to the bow?  

M. A.  I'll give them a look for sure but I've wore out goggle looking at reviews of each bowyer I mentioned. All have good for both which makes it even harder to decide.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Centaur for me, I haven't liked the Big Jim bows I've tried.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
I have a Centaur and wouldn't switch.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
For the Centaur owner did you have the XTL laminations added to yours or standard lams. If so what advantage did it add to the bow. Quiter, smoother, faster?

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
I would go with the one that got it me sooner,LOL, they are both excellent bowyers/bows.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Centaur with XTL lam

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
My opinion is biased.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
I haven't ever owned a buffalo that I could shoots. I once had a 58" that was just too short for me.  I have owned 3 centaurs.  I think it's all about what you want.  Personally, I think Big Jim has the best wood around.  Both guys are masters of their trade.  

I had a thunderchild that I had at the same time as my centaur and the centaur was definitely faster, but the thunderchild was quieters and way more forgiving.  

Either way, you won't be upset.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
I like my Treadway Black Swamp    :D  

I know I'm no help! Sorry...
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I have only shot the centaurs, they are awesome.  I would not hesitate to buy a buffalo as well. If I get another centaur it will be a glass model.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
I am biased also to BigJim but both are great bows . I like the grip on Jim's bows better  but it is personal choice .
Whatever you do I would get a two piece even if you think you won't need it .

OOHH and everyone knows BigJim has the best wood    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
If you know the 2 Jims, they are like David and Goliath!     :biglaugh:  

Why did you have to ask such a tough question!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
I have owned and shot all the Centaur models and several Thunderchildren and Buffaloes.

A fully loaded bow from either bowyer would be hard to choose between, both are top shelf with customer service to match.

The Buffaloes IMHO shine at the longer lengths 64 and up, because his limb design is wider and flatter with a less radical taper from fade to tip, this is magnified in the shorter ones 62" or less.  

Centaurs have a short riser fade to fade with a narrow deeper cored limb that tapers to a very narrow tip, with a long working section.  Pound for pound definitely more springy feeling with a very even smoothness almost an even 2.5#/inch all the way to the max.  The Buff feels more like a classic r/d longbow, but again like I said they are super smooth to me in 64" and up.  If you genuinely want a shorter Big Jim bow I would rather go with a 58" Thunderchild.  

Big Jim now offers G10 risers with scales also, and can cut them past center, so the sky's the limit on how radical you want to go.  I have seen some of the latest work with his resin impregnated burl woods and it's insane.  

Jim Neaves can do the bows without finger grooves too FYI

Both bows from either maker are whisper quiet when tuned.  

The glass Centaur is quicker.

Both are very forgiving.  The XTL lam will add torsional stability and durability.

If you want a bow that has the feel of a hotrod sports car taken to the limit, a bow made into functional art, the Centaur is a natural choice.  They are special, and I'll be honest they shoot so well for me I keep selling them because it takes the challenge out of it!  LOL

If you want a bow that showcases elegance, artistry with natural materials, with the spirit of bowhunting deeply infused into it and a real signature to it with great performance than a Big Jim bow is a natural choice.

My advice would be to keep looking at pics, talk to both bowyers who are extremely approachable and friendly, and if possible shoot one of them similar to your specs, and then decide.

Best advice, get one of each!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
Jim does make a fine bow!
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
I am biased also to BigJim but both are great bows . I like the grip on Jim's bows better  but it is personal choice .

OOHH and everyone knows BigJim has the best wood     :thumbsup:  
If you're getting a 2 piece, that answers the question for me.. I would without a shadow of a doubt, get the buffalo.  I believe the take down method that Big Jim uses is my favorite of all of them.  His craftsmanship is second to absolutely none.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:

OOHH and everyone knows BigJim has the best wood     :thumbsup:  
If you're getting a 2 piece, that answers the question for me.. I would without a shadow of a doubt, get the buffalo.  I believe the take down method that Big Jim uses is my favorite of all of them.  His craftsmanship is second to absolutely none.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©