3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur or Big Jim  (Read 1381 times)

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur or Big Jim
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Thanks for all the insight into this decision fellas. It is proving to be most difficult. If I could I'd buy one of each just so I didn't have to decide.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

I had a thunderchild that I had at the same time as my centaur and the centaur was definitely faster, but the thunderchild was quieters and way more forgiving.  

I own both.   I have to say Daniel's whole quote is spot on IMO.   And I would emphasize the above.

I mostly shoot my Centaur, but every time I pick up and shoot the thunderchild, I am amazed at how accurate I shoot, and how quiet the bow is...

It is nice to know you cannot make a mistake :-)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
I had a Centaur,Jim Neaves was great to work with. I had a 60" wish I would have gotten the 62" I wasn't as good then either. I sold this bow.

I still own all five of my Big Jim's bows. I have two 64" one piece Buffalo's,two three piece Buffalo's,one is 64" and the other is 66" I also have a 58" Thunderchild. I really don't see myself selling these bows.

Offline Breathn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
I've been mainly recurve guy for yrs ,bought set of Centaur ilf limbs off Jim last year and killed a bunch of whitetail with them .so being a dealer Jim reached out to me about selling his all glass bows and got my first one month or so ago and fell in love..even being 60 inch shooting my 31 inch draw was smooth and quiet .. extremely accurate also .Will have a chimera tommorrow at 62 inch to setup for hunting season.Jim is a class act ,always aiming to please
With that said Big Jim makes some beautiful bows and first chance I get I want to try a thunderchild.Met him at ATa show last year and super nice guy.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
I am in love with both of them,Iam glad to don't have to choose.what's ever you'll choose you'll not be wrong.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
nineworlds9; that was a response I really really enjoyed reading.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Big Jim Thunderchild

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 12:49:00 AM »
I have had 6 Centaurs.They were 60 and 62 inchers.I have a longer draw.I have had the double carbon,single carbon Chimera,Dark Matter tripple carbon and all glass.Never had the glass back and belly with XTL lam.My favorite was the all glass 60 incher that was my 1st one.I would like to have that one back!Its a thrill to shoot the Centaur with all that speed.:)I would like to try that all glass with XTL.
I like the 60 inch model personally.

I have also had 5 Buffalo's and two 56 inch T-Childs.I bought my 1st Buffalo quite a few years ago.I liked the design and construction and they were similar to a Widow in appearance and design.But not so pricey back then.His bows were under the radar then.I had the two PC. T.Ds and one piece and even the 3 PC with 2 sets of limbs.I had the 62 and 64 inchers and shot my brothers longer one.

I really preferred the 62 inch ones the most.That 62 is a sweet shooting bow for me.I preffered it over the longer ones.I put alot of Arrows through those bows!I really like how the limbs dampened out on that 62" length and how crisp it shot and it it was quieter as well because of that.Its a nice length for hunting as well.I would definatly own another in that length.It did not stack for me and I was able to work the limb a bit more for enhanced performance.

Thats my experience with those 2 Bowyers excellant products.Both are great guys with superb skills and 1st rate customer service.Two of my favorite hybrid style longbows.

If you could put thier models in every length and material design to the test you could make a truelly educated decision on whats perfect for you.But thats hard to do if not impossible unfortunatly.

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. After much more deliberation I have decided that I am going to order the 62" glass Centaur with juniper limbs and cocobolo riser with the XTL lams and sheep horn tips. Just something about the lines on the Centaur keeps drawing me back to it. Sleek and smooth looking. Hey if I still want a buffalo afterwards I'll turn 41 the next year  :)

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Good Choice
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I am not biased.... well I am!   :bigsmyl:  

Big Jim bows are all I shoot, by choice: Service, advises, best woods and availability to discuss your hunt, and above all, your bowhunting adventure.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Yes sir. Low wrist grip without the diagonal accent.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
I hope you enjoy your new bow and remember you can always get a BigJim when you start to itch again    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
If you get on the list now, you have a year to save and decide on a model.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 04:36:00 AM »
Get both!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©