3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2017 nationals, should a beginner go?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Nrcheek16

• Trad Bowhunter
2017 nationals, should a beginner go?
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Hi y'all,  im brand new to the forum, and really new to traditional bow, but I'm already in love with it. I shoot nearly every chance I get, and have gone to 3 shoots already this year , only been shooting 5 months. I'm not great, but I'm getting much much better .

This past weekend I was at a shoot and got invited to the 2017 trafitional nationals at cloverdale.  Should I be intimidated by this? I know everyone I've met so far has been extremely nice and helpful. But I'm worried I'd be in over my head if this was an extremely competitive event and I got in the way    :knothead:

Is this typically the atmosphere, or is it more like other shoots where everyone is having a good time and learning and just enjoying being outside.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2017 nationals, should a beginner go?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Intimated?  Heck no.  It is a very laid back shoot.  You can shoot for fun or score.  If you shoot for score they don't put you in a group of people you don't know (though some folks think they should).  Great target set ups--to me the best 3D range I have ever shot and that's saying something because I have been going to shoots for years.  They have every target set as a scenario of some kind and don't just plop a target out in the woods.  Because the terrain is such as it is every target has some sort of back stop so lost arrows are near impossible.  The main range is 50 targets divided into three courses of 30, 10, and 10 targets.  There is also a 20 target fun range you can shoot to your heart's content. There are good vendors selling all sorts of wares for the traditional archer. Your last sentence pretty well sums up Cloverdale. It is not extremely competitive in the sense of IBO competitive shoots. You WILL NOT be intimidated, you WILL NOT be over your head.....you WILL have tons of fun.  I have been to all the Cloverdale shoots except 2.  This year is their 30th--will be my 28th. Don't you dare miss it.    :bigsmyl:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nrcheek16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
That is exactly what I was hoping it was . I'm a very competitive person, but I have loved the shoots so far because I can be competitive with myself,  and at the same time habe a blast meeting new people and learning. My fiance and I are planning on coming in Saturday and camping , then shooting sunday. Sounds like I'm coming for sure now . Thank you!!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
You absolutely will not regret it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
When is the Cloverdale shoot?  Got more info on specifics?  Heck, I've never done a formal 3D shoot and may like to show up to nationals just to see what the fuss is all about and put a face with some of the names on the site!
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Cloverdale is June 9, 10 and 11.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
go shoot and have fun
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Cloverdale is a blast. As already stated, the course is challenging, yet fun. I've only been there once, but if you enjoy 3D's, you should try to get there.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
go shoot and have fun
Could not have said it better.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Heck yes! Go shoot! The traditional classes at all levels of archery competition are extremely welcoming and helpful.

No better way to expedite your learning curve than to attend large shoots and ask questions!

Good luck!

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Heck yes, GOOOOO!  I have been into this a long time and do not in anyway consider myself a "pro".  I love going to shoot's meeting new people and shooting with them.  Do not be nervous, I have never been to a traditional shoot, that new people was not welcome with open arms.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
FYI, if nothing else let me know, and I will shoot with ya, give you a few laughs.

Offline Nrcheek16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the responses. I'm planning on heading there and having a blast !

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Yes! Shooting against people better than you will make you a better shot...if you allow it to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
If you think you're in love now ....when you get to Cloverdale your head will explode.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Nrcheek16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Also, from your experiences,  what is a typical distance on these shots ? I know it varies and the situations vary, just for my own practice purposes I'm curious

Offline Nrcheek16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
If you think you're in love now ....when you get to Cloverdale your head will explode.
It makes me happy just shooting in my back yard. Then going to a 3d shoot made me love it. Idk how much I can take lol

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
I would say 15-25 yards on the average, with a few of the big targets (Moose, Elk, Caribou) maybe a bit further. It is my favorite shoot and I have only missed it twice in 30 years. I will be shooting the range on Friday, but will be back to wander around early Saturday afternoon. Hope I run into you! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Nick, go to Cloverdale then then the next weekend go to the Compton Rendezvous. Its non competitive and very family oriented. June 15-18. Lots of on site camping, and showers. hope to see you there. Dan

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Not only a Great shoot, but even Greater folks to spend a weekend with!

GO! Memories, new friends, it becomes a look forward to a special reunioun, you will keep for life!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©