3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wish I'd bought a 60#  (Read 1351 times)

Offline SuperK 29.5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wish I'd bought a 60#
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
The sage advice concerning over-bowing offered in preceding posts applies as much to recurves as it does to longbows. It takes some serious practice with much attention paid to form to identify the over-bowed threshold. My 54 year old body needed a couple months of recovery when I crossed that line and failed to heed the warning signs!
SuperK 29.5

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Take it from a young guy 43 who shot heavy bows for years 60-80#s, it does wear on ya. Some more than others, I am due for my second shoulder surgery and they are party due to shooting those heavy bows for years. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
when you make the jump up do it in moderation.  i know when you get a new bow all you want to do is shoot it and after your fingers and shoulder hurts to the point of teeth grinding at full draw, all you want to do is shoot your new bow.
    make shure you stop before you feel uncomfortable eventualy it wont get uncomfortable.  
    A couple years ago i started shooting a 45#, then a 55#  then a 67#  now the heavy one feels like the lightest one did.  ill be jumping to 71 then 77 hopefully.  if not oh well.  buy a take down next time and going up in weight wont cost nearly as much.  and maybe a thicker glove or tab

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
I love my #65 pound Bear Montana, and wouldn't trade it for anything. In fact, I plan on making my next bow one that's at least 5-10 pounds heavier. That said, I would in no way feel undergunned with a 50 pound bow. Heck, with properly tuned arrows, I wouldn't sweat it with 40...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
For $20.00  change the rope string on the
Bear Montana to a good 10 or 12 strand DF97/8125 with padded loops. That will give you the performance you are looking for at a fraction of the cost.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I started shooting trad back about a year ago. I purchased a 50# Martin Recurve because I knew my FORM would be critical and wanted to concentrate on that and my accuracy rather than "fight" a heavy bow while learning to shoot trad. Best thing I could have done. I also learned that tuning my bow and arrows is a must. I'm shooting this bow with total confidence. As a result of learning how to tune my arrows(and the world of difference it makes) I spend more time thinking about that, then I do about the bow.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline TradAlaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
We are all put together a little differently.  I am 66 years old and shoot a 68#@28" Black Widow recurve, drawing 29".  AND, I shoot very well.  That doesn't mean what I do is what anyone else should do.  Don't hurt yourself, but shoot the heaviest bow you are comforable with.  I killed my first with a 55# bow when I was 14 years old and have not shot anything lighter since.

Offline J Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
like ia hawkeye posted, shot placement is paramount. last night i shot a buck through the shoulder, the arrow went in 9". i short drew the bow because of the position i was in. i've killed over 30 deer and i have never seen one die as fast as that one did. hit them in the wheezer bag [lungs] and they are DEAD.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 06:25:00 AM »
An easy pulling bow is WAY BETTER than not-so-easy pulling bow.  

With sharp broadheads and a competent archer at the helm, 50# of stickbow is enough to get the job done in North America.

Besides, you know yer gonna git another bow, right?     :D

PS - I'll second what PeteW said: you wanna brace that Montana with a 12 strand modern fiber bowstring, it'll make a difference for the better.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
I started out with a 53 pounder, and I was most deftly what they call " over bowed ", I'm now shooting a three-piece takedown Turkey Creek Longbow 43# @ 29" 63" 428 Gr. arrow with 125 G. Broadhead on the front total arrow weight 428 G. arrow speed is 190 fps, and that's pretty decent for a 43#, and the most that I will move up to will be probably a 48 pounder, but it will most definitely be:

Turkey Creek Longbow, they have fabulous performance.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Bowspirit,
Where did you find a 65 lb Montana?

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Hello Bill,
I think one thing that as far as I can tell nobody else has mentioned, You need consider your ability to draw a heavy bow after sitting on stand for a few hours. I have had the u

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Wow,, sorry Bill.. to continue my thought... I have had the unfortunate experience of NOT being able to come to full draw on a nice deer at about 10 yards while hunting in 25 to 30 degree weather.
Took two tries, by that time, deer had flown the coop! I now like to shoot bows in the 45# to 55# range and save my heavy bow for early season only!
Harry.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
One size does not fit all....gotta find the weight that works for you...and one that YOU want and YOU can handle.

I'm almost 43, and I've been shooting 60-80#s since High School...and I aint never had any shoulder problems...or any ailments from shooting.

Why would a 150# guy at the gym tell a 250# guy at the gym that he should only do 30# curls...cause the 250# guy might hurt himself doing 45# curls???

Oh, and 60#s is faster than 50#s without a lighter arrow....but with the same arrow.

I have 3 MOABS at 60, a 64, and a 70#.  If I shoot my whitetail arrows at 530 grains, care to guess the order of which poundage is faster?....and what if I grab my 630 grain hog arrows....again, which bow will move that 630 grains faster?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
I just started shooting a bow 6# heavier than my "go to" bow.  It feels like a lot more than 6#.  A 10# jump is big for most folks.  Try to borrow a friends 60 pounder and shoot it for a few days before you make that jump.  You may be glad that you did.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
One size does not fit all....gotta find the weight that works for you...and one that YOU want and YOU can handle.

I'm almost 43, and I've been shooting 60-80#s since High School...and I aint never had any shoulder problems...or any ailments from shooting.

Why would a 150# guy at the gym tell a 250# guy at the gym that he should only do 30# curls...cause the 250# guy might hurt himself doing 45# curls???

Oh, and 60#s is faster than 50#s without a lighter arrow....but with the same arrow.

I have 3 MOABS at 60, a 64, and a 70#.  If I shoot my whitetail arrows at 530 grains, care to guess the order of which poundage is faster?....and what if I grab my 630 grain hog arrows....again, which bow will move that 630 grains faster?
Excellent reply...............

I ask myself when these threads appear why the bus seems to drop off a load of anti weight guys. Sorry if that upsets any of you, but I have to call it like I see it.

I shoot very heavy bows with the lightest acceptable arrows. I just had a conversation with Dave Windauer yesterday about a 625 grain Grizzlystik out of one of my 75lb Silvertips. It is at the bottom of the charts in regards to 8 grains per pound but my arrow smokes. And penetration is not an issue.

Like Terry said shoot what you want and enjoy. I myself have never had a single injury or ache and I shoot bows up into the mid 80lb range. It is flat out fun. I can also draw the bow in hot or cold weather. I have conditioned myself to shoot these bows and enjoy them.

It might not be for everyone, but it is up to the archer to decide. There is no right or wrong answer only what works for you and you have fun doing and are effective with.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Yes same arrow but that was not his point. A lot of guys do not shoot ADs so they have to find an arroqw to spine for different weights so no the 60# bow is not faster with all else  being equal grains oer oound and draw length. I am a big dude and it is fine ya can shoot heavyweights, that is up to the individual, but if you are hard on your body like I have been than ya have to do what ya got to do. Remember I said those weight were just a contributing factor, others were a long football career and falls and countless other things from hard labor all my life. Shoot what ya can and what ya want just be careful as it could not will have an effect on you at some point! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
I thik too many People try and say that 45 or 50 lbs is enough but is it you are handicaping yourself with low poundage bows and they are harder to shoot any distance as your arc ishuge so if your game is a little farther than you think or shoot or you dont get that perfect shot placemnent you will not harvest any game also with carbon arrows you will allways find a spline at any poundage you shoot you owe it to the game you harvest to shoot the heavest poundage you can handle well and in hunting you usally only get 1 shot so what is the big deal about low poundage bows   :banghead:
Gord

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
A 60# bow with 600 grain arrows may shoot as flat as a 40# bow with 400 grain arrows but why stop at that. Why not just shoot a 20# bow with 200 grain arrows.
I just don't understand when people say light bows are equal to heavy bows in performance.
I picked up a 65# longbow after many years of hunting with compounds and didn't have much of a problem with the weight.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Gordon,

Most bow kills are from 20 yards or closer. "arc" of the arrow is not really much of a factor at those ranges. If one chooses to take longer shots (which I wouldn't do), then yea, a flatter shooting bow would be advantageous.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©