3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side or strap on quiver for hunting  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Side or strap on quiver for hunting
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Coming from shooting compounds i am use to using removeable bow mount quibers come time to hunt. After switching to trad i dont have threaded holes for a quiver mount on my great northern shadow and dont really know much about the strap on style quivers. Side quivers seem pretty self explanitory but i just worry about getting caught up in brush with one. Which style and brand would you guys recommend i look into? Pictures of your quiver setup are more than welcome as well.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side or strap on quiver for hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
I have both but most often hunt with a strap on quiver. I've used selway slide ons and great northern and Big Jim's strap on quivers.  I prefer the Big Jim strap on because its easier to switch between bows than the Selway slide.  I leave my quiver on my bow in the stand.  The quiver seems to balance the bow better and its not heavy like a compound so theres no worry about letting it lie on the arrows in your lap or on the armrests.  I've not hunted with a side quiver but plan to do some ground hunting with one this year.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Hard to beat a big kind strap on quiver
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
I have done a lot of hunting with both styles of quiver you mentioned. My favorite by far is the strap on quiver style.  A lot less hassle in the brush, and climbing anything.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm a side quiver user.  Make my own and they look like this.

These work very well for me.  If the brush is navigable it travels along.

It's not a "quick draw" set up so it's a good idea to employ a stalker sheath like this.

OTOH, if you are accustomed to bow quivers it might be the better choice.  For myself, I didn't care for extra weight of a bow quiver and the bow shot differently with the quiver on the bow.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
You might consider a GFA quiver from G Fred Asbell .
Very versatile and well constructed .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »
Monterey, how do thoes stalker sheaths work?
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 01:10:00 AM »

My favorite is a Safarimaster Duiker. Walk,run, crawl in thick brush. It's very easy to manoeuver with it.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »
I like to remove my quiver when in the stand but I find it more convenient to carry it on my bow and I can shoot in such fashion just fine.  I use a Thunderhorn Lynx and really don't care to even look at anything else.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
Thunderhorn strap on.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm also a very happy Thunderhorn Linx quiver user. So much so that I'm ordering a new one for a new bow this week.

I like the added weight of a bow quiver full of arrows on my bows. The small amount of extra weight helps me hold the bow steadier at full draw and also makes the bow "sit" in my hand better upon release, and also pulls the bow slightly canted perfectly for my shooting style. Plus my arrows are always "right there", easy access. Its a win-win situation for me.
Mark 1:17

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »

Thunderhorn removable bow quiver for me!!

Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Thunder Horn is my go-to bow quiver when I go that route.  Mostly though I use my side quivers.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Thunderhorn Lynx is my quiver. Great product and great people to work with.

Josh

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
The Absorkee Quiver, from Farr West Leather.
Being the designer and maker of this quiver, it lends to a little particiality, but I will start off stating, there is no perfect quiver, where one works flawlessly, others fail, sometimes miserably.  The Absorkee Quiver is built on the time tested Mark Baker Caddy Bracket, that has been used in all parts of the country, for close to 30 years now. I have been using a variation of the quiver for going on 8ish years now, and have not encountered, a situation where the quiver didn't preform as expected.
The easy one, easy off allows for use in a wide variety of situations, and because they trail behind, arrows are in as good of shape coming out of places as they are going in, ever in heavy wet grass/brush, fletchings stay dryer.

Form thick river bottom whitetail hunting, timber covered north facing slopes, for elk, treestands, or on the ground, the Absorkee Quiver works great!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
The Absorkee Quiver, from Farr West Leather.
Being the designer and maker of this quiver, it lends to a little particiality, but I will start off stating, there is no perfect quiver, where one works flawlessly, others fail, sometimes miserably.  The Absorkee Quiver is built on the time tested Mark Baker Caddy Bracket, that has been used in all parts of the country, for close to 30 years now. I have been using a variation of the quiver for going on 8ish years now, and have not encountered, a situation where the quiver didn't preform as expected.
The easy one, easy off allows for use in a wide variety of situations, and because they trail behind, arrows are in as good of shape coming out of places as they are going in, ever in heavy wet grass/brush, fletchings stay dryer.

Form thick river bottom whitetail hunting, timber covered north facing slopes, for elk, treestands, or on the ground, the Absorkee Quiver works great!
X2!  I have a love/hate relationship with bowquivers but since getting my Absorkee the bow quivers have stayed home.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I'll give Tim a big "thumbs up" for his quiver designs as well.   There is no perfect way to carry arrows, but if you hate bow quivers, this is about as good as it gets, and really "better", I'd wager any day, in the thick stuff than a bow quiver.  I know, because I've put it to the test and challenge many times.

Also, it's easy on/off, and you can carry it with any style pack, and the weight of it all is on your hips...not around your neck.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
I like the Eagle Flight Archery Quivers from Don Ward here in North Carolina.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
I have been using a Great Northern strap on but I bought a Legacy Denali back quiver and will behunting with it this season. I've used it for a few 3D shoots so far and really like it. I have wanted to use a back quiver for a long time but this is the first one that seems to be working for me.

SWA Spyder

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
I have used a Great Northern Sidekick quiver for the last 3-4 seasons...and like it alot. But have a GN strap on attached to my bow for this season.

I think I like having the quiver attached to the bow a little better so far. Time will tell.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©