3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't Be Too Careful  (Read 905 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't Be Too Careful
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
Had a great time at the Howard Hill this past weekend, except...sometime while I was loading my truck yesterday, someone stole a valuable item from it.

I was back and forth, loading my truck and helping my neighbor who was set up across from me.  I was too trusting...didn't have the truck locked, even left a door open for a little while as we were back and forth.

Someone was watching.  I never expected it to happen here, but there was also a big gem show going on maybe 100 yds from where we were set up and I know there are pieces of garbage that come to events just looking for something to steal.  One found me.

Anyhow...point being, no matter how well you know a place, or the people set up around you, there are still skunks around.  CYA.  My folks would have called this a "bought lesson".  Won't have to learn this one again.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't Be Too Careful
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Sorry to hear. I know it feels like you've been violated.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
That just plain stinks. We had a bow swiped off the sellers table while he was showing another bow to a potential customer. This was at our annual Trad shoot. Being raised near Chicago  we lock up the locks

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
That's too bad. Recently, I went to a 3-d event with a friend. As I hung my bow on the rack outside the clubhouse, my friend told me he wouldn't hang his bow there because an archer had recently had his bow stolen at a local shoot while it was hanging on a rack. Sad and pathetic indeed!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Skunks are everywhere.  Normally I keep the truck locked, and this item was in a spot where you had to really be looking to see it...kinda' hidden in plain sight.  I was just a few feet from the truck almost the whole time, so I thought it was safe.  Learned my lesson.

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about that. That really stinks that you had that happen. Hopefully karma catches up with that person down the road.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Wow , my wife and I were just talking about that same kind of thing just earlier today .
Sorry to hear that .
People don't stop amazing me just how rotten they can be .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Reminds me of something that happened during my pre-bowhunting days when I was sighting in a rifle at a range.  I had gone down range to change targets, and when I got back, my spotting scope was gone.  It was sitting on my shooting bench, with my ammunition and other shooting gizmos.  There were people shooting on both sides of me, who were downrange at the same time I was.  People may have come and gone from other shooting positions while I was downrange.  Nobody saw nuttin'.  Probably somebody on their way out just saw my spotting scope sitting there with nobody watching it, and grabbed it.  Nothing unusual about somebody walking off a range with a spotting scope in their hands.  Maybe today it would be recorded, but in those days they didn't do that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
Hate to hear that Chad. I have had things stolen and really feel violated when it happens. There is nothing I dislike more than a thief or a liar.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
I know the feeling.  I had cash and a bow stolen from me...and it was on a trad group hunt!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Damn a thief to Perdition
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Thieves show no respect for others. When I was younger I was working the front desk at a health club where members often left their keys if they didn't want to bother with a locker. A coworker really liked a member's keychain and I actually witnessed his thought process as he worked through liking the keychain to convincing himself that he actually deserved it! It was sickening, disturbing, and fascinating at the same time. I stood guard over those keys to ensure my coworker couldn't take the keychain himself. He didn't, so I couldn't really report it to anyone.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm also a trapper...so experiencing theft for me is pretty common. I've always said its amazing how people that would normally call themselves good honest people, turn thief the instant they think nobody is watching and chances are low of being caught. The measure of honesty is in NOT stealing, when you know you could get away with it. Sorry for your loss.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around.  Whoever did it will get theirs in due time.  

Meanwhile, I've been blessed with good fortune many times over.  More than enough to cover this loss.  At least it had no sentimental value, and can be replaced.

I appreciate the sentiments.  Any way you slice it, thieves suck.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
What was taken Chad ?
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear that this event was marred by such a low life. A thief is just about as low as it gets.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
Can you/will you describe the item so that "the rest of us" can be on the look out for it?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:00 AM »
They are everywhere.  A very expensive knife was stolen from a makers table at Bladeshow in Atlanta just this weekend too.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
That is really discouraging.  Thievery is one of the lowest forms of human behavior.  I have taken to locking my rig at the archery range now after hearing a similar story of someone losing a pair of binoculars out of a truck.  Stinks.

JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Damn a thief! There is not much of anything lower in my opinion.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©