3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't Be Too Careful  (Read 906 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't Be Too Careful
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
No worse feeling than when it hits you that you've been taken. Loss of trust can hurt worse than the loss of the item.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
Can't stand a liar and a thief ! Chut'em !   :archer2:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Several years ago a good friend of mine was at the local gun range shooting some guns and when he walked up to the target a young man came up to the bench and got his guns. That wasn't the worse thing, he murdered him and stole his truck. Luckily he was captured and sent to prison for life. Never be to careful.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Had my house broken into years ago, had my Fathers and my Grandfathers bows on the wall in my den (lost both to cancer). They took em both, and I cried like a girl. Kinda glad they never found out who did it, do believe id be in prison.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
Like I said, I'm a firm believer in "what comes around goes around".  Case in point (long story):

Back in 2002, I had a fellow contact me wanting to buy a bow for his friend (when I was a dealer for a custom bow company).  His friend had never shot a traditional bow and wanted a 65@28 to start with.  I told him that was too much to start, he said he knew that but his friend insisted, so I put the order in and got the bow.  He wanted it "fast tracked", because he'd made a bet that he could "kill a deer with a recurve".  I got the check, drawn on an archery shop, all was good.  This was 14 AUG 02.

Within a few days the guy who bought the bow contacted me, telling me I was right.  He couldn't pull the bow, and was desperate because he had the afore-mentioned hunt coming up and needed to be practicing.  Ok, I just happened to have a left-handed bow on hand, 45@28 IIRC, that I sent as a loaner while new limbs were ordered for the original bow (a TD).  New limbs were sent on 09 SEP 02.

Week or so later, guy calls me saying new limbs weren't there and he needed a bow NOW (as if his lack of planning and ordering the wrong bow was my fault).

I call the bowyer.  He happened to have an entire new bow on  hand that he was willing to sell cheap.  Guy said he would take it.  Bow shipped direct to him, to save time and get it there ASAP.

Then...nothing.  Extra limbs, loaner bow (brand new bow), and another entire take-down bow had been shipped and the guy never contacts me or pays, in spite of getting moved up in the line at no charge.  When I call, the phone isn't answered.  After a while, I get a message that the phone has been disconnected.

Now what?  Well, just so happens I have a friend here and there...one in particular that lives in the same area and can help me out.  He finds out the guy moved and gets me the new address and phone number.  I call again, get a little girl.  She hollers at her dad, then she asked "who's calling?".  I told her, she tells him, then tells me "he's busy, he will have to call you back later".  Then, once again, no answer whenever I call.

Meanwhile, I ask my friend what I can do.  Basically, nothing.  I have no way to prove anything.  If I sue, my word against his.  If I go "visit", I could be prosecuted or even shot for trespassing and he would be legal.  Crap.  So I file it away...

What I can only refer to as divine intervention, several years later I'm staying with another friend who has terminal cancer.  We are watching a Primos elk hunting video, and I'll be danged...in the introduction, Mr. Will calls this fellow's name.  I think "no way!".  Then I keep watching. The guy is from MS.  He's not shooting a trad bow, but he IS left-handed.  What are the chances?  Again, I file it away.

Then, the icing on the cake.  Out of the blue, a fellow I hadn't seen before or since shows up at my little shop out in the middle of nowhere.  Somehow we wind up on the subject of this guy, and how I'd seen him on a Primos video.  This guy who just showed up says "Why don't you call Mr. Will?  He's a really nice guy and will help if he can".  He even gave me Mr. Will (Primos) phone number--he knows him.  Wow.  I call, get a lady on the phone, explain the situation.  I call the guy's name and asked if they possibly knew him.  "Why yes, he's our insurance agent!".  Wow again.  She listened to the story and said she would relay it to Mr. Will.

Next day, the skunk calls me, all cocky and says "I hear you been telling tales on me to Mr. Will Primos".  I unloaded.  I've never spoke to an animal, much less a person, like I did this piece of garbage.  His tune changed immediately.  He first claimed he had no recollection of what I said, but then said "well how much do you want me to send you?".  I unloaded again, because it wasn't about the money from 8 years ago.  When I got done I shot a number out (not nearly enough, I figured out later) and he said "you'll get a check tomorrow".  And I did.  What really got his attention was when I told him I have his SSN (and I did--friends in low places pay off--still have it).

Anyhow, that little adventure took 8 years, but it had a happy ending.  I don't know if he kept the Primos account.  I sure hope not.  Last address I have for him he lived in Madison, MS but had an insurance business in Ridgeland MS.  Maybe I'll visit down that way one of these days.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
I have had two cars stolen, a brand new 20 mec outboard, house broken into once and my car broken into twice and a number of the snatch and run kind of thefts like you had happen to you.

As bad as the thievery was the complete lack of investigation by the local constabulary who labeled my thefts as JUST a property crime.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
I had a series of thefts, it ended when I borrowed a game camera and put up a sign that said.  'Don't worry about me calling the police, I will take of you myself.  Look up, smile you're on Candid Camera."

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
As a cop for 30 years I saw some crazy things.  One that really got me was when a guy called in and reported his car wouldn't move and when we checked someone had crawled under it during the night and stolen the drive shaft.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
If that was in Story City, lots of weird things went on around there.  Remember when the druggy that lived on the same block as us tried his luck with the rough tough Caseys gal?  He used to hide his stash in the bunch of trees on the SW corner of the block south of the apartments under a bucket.   He was sure that I was going shoot him with an arrow.  I use to jump the fence and  stump shoot in there.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
No, this happened years later in Montevideo, MN.  We did have our share of dopers there in SC though.  My 2nd in command there took over as Chief when I left in 1988 and he just retired there last month.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
I traded a yellow string and cables to fit a Pearson bow to a guy in Arkansas for a set of PSE # 3 senergy wheels. Guy got the string and said it fit great, then I couldn't get him on the phone. Months later I was getting ready for the Arkansas State ASA shoot and a friend called wanting to know if I was going to attend. So happens the string guy was his best friend and said the guy couldn't find the wheels and felt bad about the whole deal and wanted to know if I was going to be cool if I saw him at the shoot. I said sure: I will use my pocket knife to remove MY string from his bow and use my foot to collect the interest. He didn't show for the shoot and I never saw him again.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around.  Whoever did it will get theirs in due time.  

yep...me too   :readit:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Every time I read this thread, I get angry all over again. They probably will never recover your property, but as somebody has said, this may also come around to the guy that took yours. They recently caught a guy locally who has been stealing stuff, but my fishing gear was not among the recovered items. Thankfully, most of our members are better than this.
Sam

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Chad; sorry for your loss. I deal with thieves everyday. It is getting worse and worse.

Maybe someone will come forward with a tip or information.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
I traded a yellow string and cables to fit a Pearson bow to a guy in Arkansas for a set of PSE # 3 senergy wheels. Guy got the string and said it fit great, then I couldn't get him on the phone. Months later I was getting ready for the Arkansas State ASA shoot and a friend called wanting to know if I was going to attend. So happens the string guy was his best friend and said the guy couldn't find the wheels and felt bad about the whole deal and wanted to know if I was going to be cool if I saw him at the shoot. I said sure: I will use my pocket knife to remove MY string from his bow and use my foot to collect the interest. He didn't show for the shoot and I never saw him again.

James
I guess I could understand misplacing or losing your trade material (unless it was vaporware in the first place), but you can still work to make it right with another trade item or good old universal cash. Or return the traded item. I don't know what those cables/string cost you, but it sounds like a reasonable price to have bought that ijit's permanent avoidance.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Thieves will get what's coming to them sooner or later.  Me on the other hand...I've been blessed with way more than I'll ever deserve, so I reckon I'll be fine.  If they can live with it, I can live without it.  Never know though...sooner or later someone is liable to slip up and let the cat out of the bag...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©