3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather color  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather color
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm also more concerned about seeing the arrow impact the animal with a very high contrast Fletching color versus trying to find the arrow after the fact ....that's a bonus and actually worrying about finding their remains means,you are worried that you may miss which is not in my thought process.

Because if you hit the animal your feathers should be bloodied they won't be the color you think they'll be... hello?

So I must ask you if you're shooting a pink or a blue or whatever color feather so that you can find it after you shoot are you betting that you are going to miss? Is that your justification for a reward finding your missed Arrow?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
White, Fl. Pink and Sky Blue show up great for me..Chartreuse also.As Terry said more concerned about seeing arrow enter the animal.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
And don't forget, if you are shooting a white animal, white fletch wont show up well to see where you hit. Of course most of us aren't chasing dall sheep on a regular basis! But if you hunt in snow then white fletching will be harder to find unless its stained red from a pass through. It would blend in well when hunting in the snow though!

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
White is my favorite with Fl. Yellow next. I'm partially color blind so this is just what sticks out best to me. Can't say how others see it.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
I listed my three most all time used colors earlier. Florescent pink, Florescent green (chartreuse) and white. I liked white for target practice in the past, but find the two florescent colors posted above still better. I really do agree that florescent green (chartreuse) does make it easier for my eye and mind to catch. However florescent pink is also easy for me to track the flight. Honestly though, florescent green (chartreuse)  has proved the best for seeing the arrows flight in the prehriphrial vision no matter the condition.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
Nothing shows up really well in low light wether it is first light or dusk. I went to lighted nicks last year and will never hunt again without them.  It's just to important for me to see where the hit is.  I use flo yellow and green with flo yellow wraps  when on the 3D range.  Helps find them in the grass:)
T ZZZZ

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
I personally like and use chartreuse BUT, I'd probably shoot pink as my second choice

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I used to use all white feathers, but stalking in the New Jersey Woods I am concerned about other hunters mistaking me for a whitetails butt.

I have been using Yellow for past few years.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
I think chartreuse and blaze orange are very easy to see. I have read that deer don't see orange well and red appears brown to them. Yet, people with normal vision seem to see them well. I have never used pink, but I shoot with a lot of guys who do, and their arrows show up quite well. I once read a magazine article with numerous pictures of animals taken with pink fletched arrows. These fletches showed up as  prominent pink dots, even from a distance. For all the reasons stated, white is not a choice for my hunting arrows, but for targets, they are high on my list. Actually, most of my hunting arrows through the years have been subdued colors.
Sam

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
I don't know about the best.  But I have a bright yellow cock feather with dark royal blue hens.  The one lone bright cock feather makes it easy to see the rotational spin of the arrow -- giving me something moving to see very clearly.  This was unintended but fortunate.  I have to be looking right at the blue & very close to see it so it hides well -- especially in the shade.  The yellow matches the wildflowers that bloom in the Spring during the Turkey season.  Another unintended but fortunate event.  I don't know what's best.  But I know I like what I've got.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
I know it's not really traditional but I used lighted nocks last season and they were pretty cool. You for sure know if you hit or not with them.
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
White, pink, light blue
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
I like pink.  Shows up very well for me.  Not concerned about finding the arrow though. Just want to see where it goes.

The exception is turkey hunting.  Probably went too colorful with these.

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »
Monterey are those a standard banana cut or are they a custom cut/burn? The peak of the curve seems farther back than the banana's ive seen and fletched before which peaked in the dead center
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Ah...they are parananners!!!

Nice
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
Red dyed wild turkey (red barred) cock vane, natural barred hens, with white nock for deer.  Darker green dyed wild turkey feather with natural hens with green nock for turkeys.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hoosierarcher88:
Monterey are those a standard banana cut or are they a custom cut/burn? The peak of the curve seems farther back than the banana's ive seen and fletched before which peaked in the dead center
Those are burned on a young burner.  Wasn't going for any special shape.  Just looked right at the time.  :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Orange and white for me.  When looking for a arrow on the ground, the orange shows up very well.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I also use natural turkey feathers a lot and I usually add a white rabbit fur tracer behind the fletching on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©