3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting started in Anchorage area  (Read 424 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting started in Anchorage area
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Looking for an Alaska (Anchorage) shop or group to assist my son at his first try at archery.
When we left Alaska in the mid eighties our son decided to stay, girlfriend and job, while we moved down to the NW. and he has continued to live in Anchorage since then. At that time I was not using trad gear. Now I am going to send him a nice takedown that I have had for awhile, for him to tryout and see if it sparks any interest. As I sit here and start to think of the main things that I should line out for him it seem’s a bit overwhelming as to all of the items that I need to pass on to him! He is a bit taller than I and may have a different draw length, etc. The bow that I am sending him is an Assenheimer 66” that has a 66# at a draw of 31”. At my draw of 28” this bow pulls about 57#, so I am a bit concerned about the poundage as he is taller than I am and may end up being a bit on the heavy side to start with. For now travel up there is a bit out of the  picture so I am wondering what the best options may be for him? Thanks as always for any help.
Jim
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting started in Anchorage area
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
Nice of you to send a nice bow to him!!

I'd suggest that if you want to get him interested in trad shooting that a 60#+/- bow is WAY to much IF he hasn't shot trad before (maybe even if he has). More likely to discourage than to encourage!

It's been many years since I lived in AK and never had any archery connection in the Anchorage area so can't help there either.

Sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear but been coaching for too many years to not suggest a lighter weight bow (< 30#)for someone just starting out.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Waaay to heavy to start out with. 40-45# max. and some will say that's too heavy.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
There are several archery clubs in the area, I belong to two of them, Cook Inlet Archers and Traditional Archers of Alaska, both have web sites. There are other clubs but I'm not familiar with them.        
 CIA is an archery club that has both compound and traditional shooters, they meet from October to May and have 3D shoots the third sunday of the month. TAA has shoots the second weekend of the month with the large two day Jay Massey Shoot over Memorial Day Weekend. I would be glad to help him and have lighter bows for him to try out, just PM me.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
I might also suggest that you determine his dominant eye. I had my sons shooting right hand bows and just recently found out that they are both left eye dominant. I suggest to get him started with the correct handed bow and one light enough to easily draw.
You might want to find a used dual shelf, light weight bow for him to use to see if it "sticks".
I just bought a dual shelf, 66", 40@28 bow to pass down to whichever of the kids or grand kids that take to it, which I think may be one of the grand daughters.
If you are in the NW, check Pacific Yew for the dual shelf Thunderbird.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by hunting badger:
There are several archery clubs in the area, I belong to two of them, Cook Inlet Archers and Traditional Archers of Alaska, both have web sites. There are other clubs but I'm not familiar with them.        
 CIA is an archery club that has both compound and traditional shooters, they meet from October to May and have 3D shoots the third sunday of the month. TAA has shoots the second weekend of the month with the large two day Jay Massey Shoot over Memorial Day Weekend. I would be glad to help him and have lighter bows for him to try out, just PM me.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »
Not sure what went wrong with my reply, so i will redo.
Thanks to all for thei help. Hunting Badger that is exactly the info that I needed and I will PM you tomorrow, thanks. It's not so much about the bow as it is to find an opportunity to see the pure simpicity of archery.  The bow just happens to be the smoothest drawing bow I have and a takedown is nice to ship! Thanks again to all
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
If your son doesn't mind a little bit of a drive, we have a nice indoor range in the Mat-Su called Screaming Eagle Archery.

They do a pretty good job accomodating trad shooters by stocking Toelke bows and some gear, and their Wed night trad only 3d shoots during the winter are a blast. Some of the staff shoot trad, and they have instructors available.

During the winter, a few of us trad shooters get together Saturday mornings for a couple of hours, so that would be a good time to come by and get some help.
Chuck

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by akbowbender:
If your son doesn't mind a little bit of a drive, we have a nice indoor range in the Mat-Su called Screaming Eagle Archery.

They do a pretty good job accomodating trad shooters by stocking Toelke bows and some gear, and their Wed night trad only 3d shoots during the winter are a blast. Some of the staff shoot trad, and they have instructors available.

During the winter, a few of us trad shooters get together Saturday mornings for a couple of hours, so that would be a good time to come by and get some help.
Regard’s,
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©