3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Affordable elk outfitter  (Read 885 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Affordable elk outfitter
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:51:00 AM »
Do any of you know of any elk outfitters that are affordable and not outrageous? Location is not an issue
aim small miss small

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Affordable elk outfitter
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
What do you consider outrageous?
 How much is your time and effort worth compared to someone else's.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
What do you consider outrageous?
 How much is your time and effort worth compared to someone else's.
I'll take a guess here....    :p    

Interpreted: "What would you consider a good value for  a dollar spent"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Call RMS Gear they will send you in the right direction.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
we went on a drop camp with full draw outfitters and I think Freds Prices are very reasonable
peter Osimanti

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
If you have never done a hunt with an outfitter for a fully guided hunt, then you may not know what it takes on their part.

"Outrageous" is a very subjective statement since for a quality archery hunt most are about a thousand a day or thereabouts. Knowing what I know about the behind the scenes is it is well worth it in my opinion.

With all that said, Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters in Cody, Wyoming has a great outfitting business. He provides wilderness hunts in the Thorofare region just south east of Yellowstone...unbelievable. I have been hunting with Bill many times and have never been disappointed.

Good luck on your quest.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
:clapper:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
Drop camp is where it's at just make sure it's not on public land

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »
I have been on a few drop camp hunts on public land that were some of the best hunts I have done.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
have you had any success on drop camps? i hear you probably need to go a few times to be successful
aim small miss small

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:00 AM »
For what a drop camp cost, you can buy some top end backpacking gear and DIY and have all the stuff bought to do it again cheaper!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:00 AM »
I disagree with making sure the drop camp is not on public.  Alot of public land is land locked, you can have a drop camp on relatively small parcel of private with access to public that no one else can access.  On our drop camp with full draw we had elk screaming every day, we where into elk every day,all 5 of us had opportunities. I think it all starts with a reputable guide.  Old goats also has a good point, provided you find a piece to hunt.  The drop camp also saves you time.  You don't have to find the place, set up , take down, all your gear is pretty much there......  If you live close probably not an issue but we drive 30 hrs.
peter Osimanti

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
a few times to be successful ?

Maybe - If you get a Buck every year at home you will likely be successful out west.

Location is not an issue.

Location is the most important decision you will make as a non resident. The factors you use to decide are elk numbers - are they there the specific time of year you will be there - public/private - horses/no horses - your camp/dropcamp/outfitter - there is more but this gets the process started.

<><
<-------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Do it yourself hunts and drop camps are definately cheaper initially, however in most cases are more expensive in the long run. You typically don't have the knowledge of the area hunting and where the game are located.

A person can spend most of their time searching an area with little to no results resulting in scheduling subsequent hunt(s)...more money spent.  With an outfitter/guide they know where and the habits of game, which greatly increases your chances of success. Also, they do all the work like dressing and packing out the meat...do you know how much work this can be?

Like the say "pay me now or pay me later".

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
i would also like to hear about some guided hunts as well , i dont know where to start there are so many outfitters out there and i dont know good from bad
aim small miss small

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Location is everything! If your a hunter and experienced outdoorsman then you can do it yourself in many good units.

But if you have never done it before or don't have the ability to figure out an area or the animals then Im with Rick on this. If your limited on time and experience then a good outfitter is the way to go. I have hunted with Bill twice at Hidden Creek and this is a top notch outfitter. Great camp and the most beautiful area in the country.

My best advice is to look into applying for quality areas then when you finally draw, go out there and learn the area first hand. But like Rick said, doing all this yourself and the time and money required to do it right an outfitter is often times money well spent.

I do more hunts on my own now simply because I have the time and know where I want to go, but don't rule out a quality outfitter.

Just remember that a do it yourself hunt doesn't mean that you wont have a good hunt. Just the same a guided and outfitted hunt doesn't mean that you will kill one either! Its all about the hunt and you doing your part to make the most of the opportunity.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Sometimes it's good to go with an outfitter so you can get an idea of what it's like. Then once you get the hang of it do it yourself is the way to go

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
I'd strongly urge you to NOT use San Juan Outfitters.  I made the mistake of hunting elk with them a few years ago instead of going up to Alaska.  They promised us a drop camp that had not been previously used and that turned out to be a lie.  Hunters had left the camp only a day before we were dropped off.  The elk in the area were hunter-wary and the supplies in the drop camp had been used.  No apologies, no recompense, and no explanation from SJO.  Lesson learned.  NEVER use them because you will not get what you paid for.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I would very strongly suggest using a booking agent for a hunt.  I am talking about a pro agent not some guy that  hunted a couple times and now books for an outfitter.  These guys have EVERYTHING on the line and have been there and done that with the outfitters they represent.   There are several that are great quality but tag on a very heafty price to each hunt but there are some that guarantee that the hunts price will not be higher than the outfitters publish rate.  

I self guide wherever it is leagal but when  a guide or outfitter is required ( Canada/Africa) I use a booking agent with great success.  

I use Trophy Seekers Worlwide and have never been anything but anything less than happy with every trip in several countries.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I would very strongly suggest using a booking agent for a hunt.  I am talking about a pro agent not some guy that  hunted a couple times and now books for an outfitter.  These guys have EVERYTHING on the line and have been there and done that with the outfitters they represent.   There are several that are great quality but tag on a very heafty price to each hunt but there are some that guarantee that the hunts price will not be higher than the outfitters publish rate.  

I self guide wherever it is leagal but when  a guide or outfitter is required ( Canada/Africa) I use a booking agent with great success.  

I use Trophy Seekers Worlwide and have never been anything but anything less than happy with every trip in several countries.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©