3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How common are bow failures?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
How common are bow failures?
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »
I have been faced with a conundrum when I recently bought new high performance bow. I waited for months for it to be deliverered and finally got it in the end of march. I loved the look of it and after the initial set up, shoot like laser beams. Very happy... BUT

I suddenly realized that my limbs which should have been foam core was actually wood. I sent a message to the manufacturer and got told that due to the heavier draw weight they made it wood. As I paid for a foam upgrade I got given a refund. I had also found a imperfection from the final spray/coating. They offered to fix it if I sent it back ($100 from Australia).

Shortly after this issue I found a fine crack in the top limb just under the limb bolt and another what seems to be a crack in the riser when the window cut out is. Once again I contacted the manufacturer and they said it was hard to see on the fotos I sent over but it could be a crack. I now paid the ($100 and shipped it back to US for them to have a look at it)

I know the bow has arrived in the US and I expect a call in this week. I assume that they will fix the issues and make a new bow or give me a refund as it's basically a new bow. However... here is my question.

I find myself question the durability of the bow and as I spend lots of my hunting time on big walk in hunts I cannot risk having a bow fail on me. I have lost the confidence in the bow.

How common is a bow failure like this? The bow was shot a few hundred times with a over 10 GPP arrow, braced within recommendations and looked after. I understand the wood is a natural material but still... never had issues like this before.

Needless to say I am gutted and the waste of time without my bow (had to borrow a hunting buddies bow for now).

Thoughts?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How common are bow failures?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
Bummer. Had a glue line pop on a riser between phenolic and wood, other than that, it's only failure I've had and I overdraw the crap out of everything with my 31" draw. Seems like some people have more issues than other. Don't know if it's bad luck, not using stringer etc..
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
This crack is in the wedge about a mm from the core. Just under the limb bolt.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
Seems pretty common in some so called "preformance bows"
Mark

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
I worked with a prominent and respected bowyer a few years back on a custom low poundage (43#) TD. I had owned one of his bows in the past and it never had a problem. The new bow showed cracks around the limb bolts after a month or two. Sent the limbs back for replacement. The second pair cracked after a month also, sent them back. He thought maybe it was the clear glass so he made the new limbs with black glass. Now  we are getting into the area of "yeah but that's not what I ordered in my custom bow". Those limbs also cracked in the same place, and it had been sitting in its case, limbs not even attached! Finally, both of us were exasperated so he made me a one piece bow with black glass. It didn't crack but it wasn't what I wanted in any way so I sold it. We never did figure it out--some bows are just lemons, is my guess. The cracks were above and below the limb bolts.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
I can't say that I have ever had a bow failure in my 50 years of shooting stick bows. I did have a limb crack after the bow made a "military move" back in the early 70s.
That said, I have never had what I would call a "high performance" bow. I still have bows made in the 60s and 70s that are in great condition and shoot every bit as good as the HP bows. Bows like Wings, Bob Lee, Shakespeare, etc.
For sheer toughness and reliability for long hunts I would go with a well made ASL, or Hill style bow. They have narrow, thick limbs, with rounded edges that are not susceptible to stress raisers from dinged edges, or twisted limbs.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
I have had two (purchased bows) break in the last year.  Funny, but, i build my own as well and though they are not speed demons mine have (not yet anyways) never broke.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Go back to shooting a Silvertip, problem solved.  LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by huntryx:
I worked with a prominent and respected bowyer a few years back on a custom low poundage (43#) TD. I had owned one of his bows in the past and it never had a problem. The new bow showed cracks around the limb bolts after a month or two. Sent the limbs back for replacement. The second pair cracked after a month also, sent them back. He thought maybe it was the clear glass so he made the new limbs with black glass. Now  we are getting into the area of "yeah but that's not what I ordered in my custom bow". Those limbs also cracked in the same place, and it had been sitting in its case, limbs not even attached! Finally, both of us were exasperated so he made me a one piece bow with black glass. It didn't crack but it wasn't what I wanted in any way so I sold it. We never did figure it out--some bows are just lemons, is my guess. The cracks were above and below the limb bolts.
Sounds like similar issues with cracks near the bolts. I have also borrowed another bow, same make with no issues alas only a lighter draw weight. I too feel like I didn't really get what I ordered as I wanted foam core but got maple. Then compounded with the issues that arose.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
I've had a number of bow failures over the years. I did get flamed here several years back for posting on a thread about having 4 of the same bowyers longbows fail on me. Had a couple others give up also. Stuff happens
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
Seen/had a bunch of bows with vertical cracks around the limb bolt holes.  Generally caused by over-tightening the limb bolts or moisture swelling the limb wedges and causing the cracks in the glass.  I have never seen this type of crack cause any problems other than cosmetic and I wouldn't worry about them.  The crack in the riser at the sight window I'd be way more concerned about.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Agree with yaderhey.  Most cracks emanating from the limb bolt holes are caused by tightening the bolts too much. I often take the precaution of working some varnish into the through holes and limb placement holes in the limbs to prevent moisture from creating unequal expansion between the wood wedges and the glass.

Have been shooting TD custom recurves and hybrids for a long time (more than 25 years) and have never had a bow or limbs fail.

There has been a trend toward shorter bows lately, and long draw lengths can really stress those bows, increasing the likelihood of failure, IMO.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
Yes, the limb bolts should only ever be finger snug, like 1/8 turn past when you feel them start to tighten down max.  

Also, the "crack" in the riser may very well be a what is called a 'check' in the wood, perhaps due to inadequate seasoning, or changes in the moisture content post-finishing, certain woods are more prone to it than others like bocote, cocobolo, rosewood, and ebony.  However this does not apply if the riser is Actionwood or similar synthetic.  

I know which bowyer you're talking about, as I checked your prior posts, and they have a stellar reputation for customer service and good quality, so hopefully that continues and they can help you.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Get a widow. I got mine used about five years ago and in that time it has been dry fired twice (once by a man with a 30" draw). On top of that, it sat all night hung on a wall above a furnace (strung) at a canadian bear camp. It was so hot when I finally realized what happened that I had to grab it with a glove remove it from the heat. Unreal bows

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Owned over 30 different bows over the last 35 years and only had one form a small crack, but that was after tens of thousends of arrows. Never had a issue with any of the others as far as failures.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Ive had 2 blow up.  An original Paul Shafer 1pc, and a new set of Robertson limbs.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
Had 2 limbs let go, top limb during draw. Scared the s**t out of me. First was original limb, second was the replacement. Done with super high performance limbs from that bowyer, there really pushing the envelope and they can get away from the bowyer.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
What bowyer ? Just curious
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by mark Willoughby:
What bowyer ? Just curious
I am choosing not to mention what bowyer at this time because I don't think it matters and. I am certain that they will do arrangements to sort this out. Personally with my confidence decreasing day by day I am hoping for a refund. I have another bow from the same bowyer but with a lot less draw weight. I am just baffled that a bow can have have multiple issues on both riser and limbs.

On another note, the limb bolts wasn't over tightened but the limb fit wasn't perfect and the bolts was located really close to the edge of the limb. Once again due to the draw weight and design.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 02:58:00 AM »
I had a beautiful longbow which let go of the limb tip decorative lams. Then after I repaired it after asking the bowyer ( shipping to and fro would be more than a pair of limbs). Shortly thereafter the entire string groove split on  a full draw. The string frayed but held and I did not get hurt. The bowyer stood by me and we have come to a level of friendship. But I am leaning more towards ilf bows where issues are generally known and limbs are easy to get.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©