3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many arrows would you pack to hunt elk?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many arrows would you pack to hunt elk?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
12 Broadhead arrows, 3 Judo arrows and 3 spare junkers. Bad things happen. Once on a trip in NM the scrub oak was so thick it tore my quiver off my bow while slung trying to maneuver thru it. Never found it either. 5 FMJ's W/BH's and a $125 quiver. Got expensive real quick. I was pissed off when I got to a real Elky area and went to nock an arrow. Now I bring plenty of extras and a spare Bow W/ Quiver at Base camp.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
I do two week elk hunts.  I carry four arrows in my bow quiver-- three broad heads and one judo point.  I pack another broad head and judo point arrow for my base camp.  Have another four or so in the truck back at the trail head.  Also have a back up bow in my truck at the trailhead.  

Figure I can always walk out to access the four arrows or the back up bow at the trail head if I ever needed them, but never have.  In fact, I seldom shoot more than one arrow at a game critter.  Do sometimes break my judo arrow and get into my back up judo, but that's about it.  

I carry an extra broadhead in my pack to put on one of the judo arrows if I should ever go through the 4 broad head arrows I pack in, but have never had to use it either.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
I do two week elk hunts.  I carry four arrows in my bow quiver-- three broad heads and one judo point.  I pack another broad head and judo point arrow for my base camp.  Have another four or so in the truck back at the trail head.  Also have a back up bow in my truck at the trailhead.  

Figure I can always walk out to access the four arrows or the back up bow at the trail head if I ever needed them, but never have.  In fact, I seldom shoot more than one arrow at a game critter.  Do sometimes break my judo arrow and get into my back up judo, but that's about it.  

I carry an extra broadhead in my pack to put on one of the judo arrows if I should ever go through the 4 broad head arrows I pack in, but have never had to use it either.
Pretty much exactly my answer as well.  In all my years of hunting game in a bunch of different states I've never come close to using that many, and unless I'm shooting a bunch at small game can't image ever having a need for more.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
Great info everyone. Thanks for the advice.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
I have a seven arrow quiver that I use. When I took my bull on the ninth day of my backcountry hunt I had 2 functional arrows left in my quiver. I'll blame the grouse for that LOL
That is what Im talkin bout! I am planning not this year but next (18) and if rouse legal I am bringing a mess of arrows!    :archer2:
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
I generally carry six into the backcountry. If I go through that many, I'm headed home.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
I've seen you shoot.  You'll only need one!

However, I had a drill sergeant that still haunts me with this saying:

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Can't wait to hear of this adventure.

I took 18 arrows on my antelope hunt.  Came home with no meat and 16 arrows.  Yep, you've seen me shoot too!   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Holden:
I've seen you shoot.  You'll only need one!

However, I had a drill sergeant that still haunts me with this saying:

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Can't wait to hear of this adventure.

I took 18 arrows on my antelope hunt.  Came home with no meat and 16 arrows.  Yep, you've seen me shoot too!    :coffee:  
:biglaugh:

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
6 arrow bow quiver, 5 broadheads one judo.  Have an arrow tube strapped to my pack with another 12 or so.   I typically have 4 or 5 tags, and when your out of food, arrows and grouse are gold!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
We tune both mine and Jason's bows to shoot the same arrow.  That way we take 18 with us to cover both of us.  I've never come close to using them all.  But did have a buddy on an antelope hunt that went through a dozen one year.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
I take a couple of dozen, CArry six in my plains style quiver plus a blunt.

God bless, Steve

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
I like to play.  I shoot a lot of arrows.  I am not near as worried about adequate broadheads as i am blunts

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
I take five into the field and a dozen another seven in the truck for back up on local elk hunts.  There are 8-9 broadhead tipped arrows the rest are judos for stump shooting.  Having had too many judo tipped arrows fly away with grouse, I only use broadheads on them now.  When going to Alaska or other hunting trips, I take the same amount of arrows, setup the same.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 12:58:00 AM »
I took about 30 with me on my 2 week float hunt in  AK a few years ago, brought every one of them back with me, too!  I figured that the arrows were key to the trip.  I could shoot as much as I wanted, stumping, horsing around in camp, shooting small game, etc.  And if I had run out of arrows for any reason, all the expense of the trip would really have bothered me.  If I were doing it again, I'd still take at least a couple dozen, with a some flu flus as well, for critters in trees.

Just my 2¢ ...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
The MTM Arrow Plus box will easily hold 2 dozen arrows.Wrap it with duct tape or zip ties to keep it shut during transport.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Squirrel Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
I have never needed more than one arrow for elk, but I always carry 5-6 in the quiver, including 2 blunts. Back at base camp, I have an extra bow that takes the same arrows and at least 6 extra arrows, in case I fall and break all the arrows in my quiver. I do the same for mule deer, turkeys, and javelina.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
I only carry 4 but wish I could carry 5 in my quiver.  3 broadheads and 1 blunt for stumping.  My 5th would be an extra field point or dull broadhead with an adder behind it as a more serious grousing head.  I've stalked in on a couple but never taken a shot yet (rocks, brush, etc.). I carry a few extra points in my day pack.

My deer rifle carries 10 in a magazine.  I only carry 5.  I've only needed one.  Don't see why it would be much different other than the stumping & grouse.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
I would take two bows that shot the same arrow. One dozen broadhead arrows and at least one dozen Hammer blunt arrows, and I may run out of the Hammer blunts if the elk hunting gets boring and there are a lot of small game possibilities.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©