3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would these limbs break?  (Read 422 times)

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Would these limbs break?
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
So for Father's Day my Mrs. bought me a Southwest Archery "Spyder" (Samick Sage II) 62" AMO, Lefty, but mistakenly ordered 60lb limbs.

Additionally, near the limb tip where the string "groove" is located, there was a chip in the phenolic resin. It looked kinda sketchy so i contacted SWA.

SWA agreed to give me new limbs (and since within 30 days, agreed to swap for 35lb limbs that i initially asked for)., but wanted me to destroy these "old" limbs by drilling a hole near the S/N so someone could not later re-warranty them.

I drilled the holes per instructions and sent the photos on to SWA. All is good with them and my new limbs are enroute.

Given the placement and size of the holes, would these be safe to shoot - if all else is OK?
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would these limbs break?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot them.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
I would shoot them as is. If you are worried fill the holes with epoxy.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd just seal the holes so moisture doesn't seep in, do the same on the spot you mentioned, some guys just use super glue for spots like you mentioned on the limb groves
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by bucknut:
I would shoot them as is. If you are worried fill the holes with epoxy.
^-----this.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Kind of a double question...
They'd be OK to shoot but it's also kind of an ethics question too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Oh come now let's not be like that.  These limbs are so cheap, sounds like SWA didn't want to have the buyer incur cost of shipping nor pay for return shipping themselves just for a warranty claim/swap.  They'd trash them just the same, and it seems they wanted the holes drilled so that the OP doesn't try to resell them, now that would be an ethics issue.  If the OP keeps the limbs then what's the difference if they function for him, and if they blow up then he can't make another claim anyway, and if he did then that would be an ethics issue, though he can't since they are now modified.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
I stand corrected...misinterpreted.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Destroy them! You Don't want somebody getting them and hurting himself
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Kind of a double question...
They'd be OK to shoot but it's also kind of an ethics question too.
I would like to say to SWA's credit that
their Customer Service person suggested sending me new limbs.

I contacted them merely to ask if the initial problem was dangerous or could pose a problem. The SWA's Customer Service person e-mailed back if the original shipping address was the same as now so they could send new limbs.

I am sooooo pleased with SWA and would not hesitate recommending buying from them. It's a no-risk transaction based on my experience!!!

"tippit" - thank you for questioning me on a potentially ethically charged situation. I believe questioning ethics helps keep people from veering off into bad behavior.

No offense taken!

So, yeah i also initially struggled with the ethics component of your assertion when considering shooting the limbs. However, i fully and happily complied with their request as i was pleased to be getting replacement limbs.

Further, SWA didn't specify their preference in method of destruction or the size of the hole if drilling. So, i put the hole exactly where they specified (near the S/N by the bar code), though admittedly made a small one  :D

When i photographed the hole i intentionally used a nail to illustrate the size of the hole so as to not mislead anyone. I was prepared to re-drill a larger hole if requested and sort of expected it.

However, no comment was made and SWA told me my new limbs would be in the mail the next morning.

Count me as a Happy Customer!!!
+35lb limbs

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Oh come now let's not be like that.  These limbs are so cheap, sounds like SWA didn't want to have the buyer incur cost of shipping nor pay for return shipping themselves just for a warranty claim/swap.  They'd trash them just the same, and it seems they wanted the holes drilled so that the OP doesn't try to resell them, now that would be an ethics issue.  If the OP keeps the limbs then what's the difference if they function for him, and if they blow up then he can't make another claim anyway, and if he did then that would be an ethics issue, though he can't since they are now modified.
I like how you think!!! You've addressed about every possible side to that equation - that's being thorough!

I wasn't offended though, but thanks for taking up for a newbie.

This is what I like about this community - folks aren't aggressive and police themselves. Other forums are not this way.....

In fact, i don't really think tippit was accusatory, just stating the potentiality of an unethical act.
+35lb limbs

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
I'm still  little confused.  You said that 60# limbs were mistakenly ordered.  Then, later that 35# limbs were initially ordered.  It's one thing if the mistake was theirs, but if the mistake was yours and/or if the perceived flaw in the limb tip didn't merit replacement?   :dunno:

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
I'm still  little confused.  You said that 60# limbs were mistakenly ordered.  Then, later that 35# limbs were initially ordered.  It's one thing if the mistake was theirs, but if the mistake was yours and/or if the perceived flaw in the limb tip didn't merit replacement?    :dunno:  
No worries -i'll explain.

So, i originally wanted 35lb limbs. My wife bought 60lb limbs.

I think, OK, no problem I will just order 35lb limbs later.

However, when i open the box and unwrap everything including the 60lb limbs there was a chip in on the "back" side of the (iirc) lower limb by where the string-grove is.

I'm thinking this is not a good thing and e-mail SWA and describe the situation. I also comment I had originally wanted 35lb limbs though my wife mistakenly ordered 60lbs limbs.

SWA Customer Service person then advises me to destroy the limbs. Also, since the order was less than 30 days ago, they would send me the 35lb limbs like i wanted - despite my wife having ordered/paid for 60lb limbs.

Clearer?

In any event, i would never order 60lb limbs and prefer to max out around 50lbs if not 45lbs.
+35lb limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©