3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maine Moosehunt Upcoming  (Read 409 times)

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
Maine Moosehunt Upcoming
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
OK Gang,  after 15 years, my wife pulled a choice bull tag in zone three during peak rut and I am the sub-permitte   :shaka:    :shaka:

I want to bring my bow in the event we call one in real close but torn.  My new bear 50# grizzly is tuned real nice and throwing a 517gr arrow right where it needs to be.  taking a swag that im cruising along at 160fps and the KE values are not impressing me (125gr magnus stinger BH).  I know far smaller bows have killed moose and that its all in the shot placement but what are your sincere thoughts for using this rig?  I might have to break out the training wheels or just use my rifle if this doesnt sount ethical.  Also,  I would not shoot beyond 20 yards with this setup.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maine Moosehunt Upcoming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
My moose setup is 58lbs , 641 gr arrow for Alaska. That's what I can hold for a extended time at full draw.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
what size and kind of arrow are you using?
aim small miss small

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm not speaking from personal experience,  but I think your bow is up to the task assuming that the 50# is at your actual true draw length.

That being said,  there is room in your setup for improvement.   A heavier arrow guiding a quality 2 blade broadhead will help to maximize your bows potential. A stiffer arrow with something like 300 grains up front would be my goal. Stick within your self imposed max range and watch that arrow disappear behind the leg.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
You will be fine. If you can kill deer with your set up then you can kill Moose, they are just a bigger deer.

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
Thanks so far guys.  My exact setup is that im drawing 27" so holding about 48#.  My arrow is a GT traditional cut to 28", with the 100gr half out inserts, 5" feathers and 125gr magnus, it weighs in at 517gr. (500 spine).
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
I carried a 57# bow, though never go to see how it would have worked.  I would think you should be good with a two blade.  Good luck!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
I've never killed a moose with my bow (as you know moose permits in Maine are like unicorns...very hard to get) but have been in a number of close up, some VERY close up, encounters during deer season.  For me one thing stood out from those experiences...a rutting bull moose at 10-20 yards is definately NOT like a deer.

These are huge animals, with a rugged bone structure, thick skin and 'get-the- $#@ out-of-my-way' attitude during the rut.  With their grunting and brush-busting antics they'll make you check your pants twice when coming in close, especially in heavy brush.  

If I'm ever lucky enough to hunt them I'd use the heaviest bow (at LEAST 50#), heaviest arrow and strongest two-blade broadhead I had access to and could shoot well with under pressure.  Again, BIG animals here.  

By the way, you probably know already but 45# is the minimum draw weight for moose in Maine.

Good luck...and don't forget to pack those extra panties, lol!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
It will do the job,if I were going to change anything I would get a little more arrow weight.I killed 1 a few years back with a 49# Caribow,but was shooting a 700 grain arrow.Shot a 2 blade broadhead.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
This is the type of situation where the Ashby principal's come in to play. Long, narrow two blade head, skinny Easton Axis shafts front loaded with 20% plus FOC. A little here and a little there in improvement in the arrow can be like 5_10 #s of bow wight equivalent.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with Maine's regulations, and I'm a bit confused.  What is a sub-permitee?  Is it a license for you to shoot the bull?  Doesn't your wife want to kill the moose?

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
In Maine, the sub-permittee is allowed to shoot as well as the permittee.  My wife does not care to shoot the moose which is in itself a funny story.  Years ago, she wanted us to take ball room dancing lessons which was a big no go with me.  We made a deal, if she entered the lottery and pulled a tag and had to take hunter safety courses....I would take a few lessons in the winter.  Im a man of my word....BUT NO COSTUMES!!! haha
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©