3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ranking a few bows  (Read 1780 times)

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ranking a few bows
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm interested in buying a new (to me) recurve bow and need some advice. Can you more experienced shooters rank for me the top hunting bows/brands I need to check out before I purchase?

I recognize that everyone likes different things and that I need to shoot many different bows before I settle. With that said, I'm just looking for a few recommendations in order of your preference (and maybe even a reason why the bows are so good) to help me get started.

Thanks for showing rookies like me the ropes on the gang.

Josh

If it matters, I'm currently shooting a Dan Quillian recurve 62"--55#@28 inches.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ranking a few bows
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
You need to consider a few important factors.
1 - How long of a bow do you want?
2-  Do you want a 1 piece,2 piece,or 3- piece?
3-  How much are you willing to spend?

I myself like a 2-piece bow. And in recurves there are 3 I would recommend.

Java Man Assyrian. Great shooting,great looking,excellent workmanship. You will likely have to wait to have one built,or post a want ad and see what pops up.

Black Widow PSR. This is my go to recurve. Just a bombproof built bow. And just happens to feel so familiar to me when I shoot it. Same riser as the PL longbow so I can flip back and forth and it stays the same for me. These pop up in the classifieds pretty well. And if not a want ad will likely shake one loose for you. They hold there value incredibly well so...it will cost you a bit for the privilege.

Toelke SS recurve. Well built,fast built,and if you can afford new...Toelke is a good deal when price shopping. Good shooting bow.

Have fun.   rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Hit one of the larger shoots and shoot some you are interested in. Then you will know what is best for you
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Should have been more specific- I think I want a takedown just for ease of travel.

Thanks

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
There is a Robertson Wolfer in the Classifieds. They are two pc Recurves. The Robertson's build great bows.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Great advice above on both accounts. I'll add in my findings

I own both 1pc & 3pc takedown bows. The single pc being a Robertson Stykbow Peregrine (50's style) Recurve I've had for going on 25yrs.The 3pc is a Stalker Stickbow Coyote FXT, which is fairly new to me, but built in '16. I'm currently waiting on a Zipper Nitro 3pc.

I would recommend either of these Bowyers (Robertson or Stalker) to someone  if their budget is mid-upper to high end based on the bows I have from them

Not having the Zipper as of yet, but from all accounts here and elsewhere Bills Zippers are also we regarded and should be given a peek.

Keep an open mind & try as many different Bowyers models as possible. Also some Bowyers even have a "test drive" period they offer so your not buying blind per say. A great option if your not a 100% on a certain model or brand.

If there is a certain Bowyers model your interested in, chances are you can and will find it through the search feature on here to answer any questions you might have.

With so many great Bowyers and their respective lineups avail right now, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Find something you like, email your questions, place your order, wait patiently and then enjoy!

Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out.
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Weight... Don't get overbowed, BUT, make sure it's enough for what you want.  I have a Widow longbow that I absolutely love, but it's only 48#, which is not legal for big game in Alaska (50# minimum), where I go to hunt with family members.

Length... What's it for?  Blind hunting?  Treestand?  Open plains?  I prefer a longer bow.  BUT, it has more of a tendency to catch on my clothes, or on brush.

Brand... I personally like going with established bowyers, and have shied away from radical or fad models or bowyers.

Grip, style, cosmetics... Personal preference
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
I wouldn't base The decision on anyone elses opinion. There's nothing wrong with any of the opinions you get, but selecting a bow is a very personal thing.  Fit and feel are different for different folks and if in the end it's not right for you, it will be a disappointment.

I have one bow that seems to be magic in the hands of everyone else who owns one but for me it's like wrestling a porcupine.

Never mind bowyer's or brands, shoot as many as you can and decide what works for you and go with it!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
Try before you buy if you can.  And don't be afraid to try something new.  For example, I never thought much about vintage Bear bows.  A good friend found a LH 1965 Bear Grizzly with zebra wood riser and brown glass in perfect shape at a garage sale.  He picked it up for $20.00 and gave it to me.  I've had a chance to put on a new string and shoot it now.  Really nice performing bow.  I'm keeping one eye open for some old time Bears.

Yes, there are a lot of nice performing customs.  But check out the local shoots and sales and visit the used equipment parts of websites like Big Jim's and RMS gear.  Some great shooting bows out there looking for new homes.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow man:
Hit one of the larger shoots and shoot some you are interested in.....
I agree with this...in concert with the recommendation to decide how you will shoot/hunt.

Most of us here have had "the perfect bow" at least six times.    ;)

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
For takedown recurves be sure and check out Bob Lee's bows. Nice amount of weight in riser, Smooth drawing, good grip and good performance.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
My opinion is biased but the javaman Assyrian is a great bow Gregg's grip is killer! Plus he's a pretty cool cat himself.. smooth quick and there sexy to boot lengths of 60 to 64 and what seals the deal for me is how Gregg treats,his customers he is top shelf .... Lol sounds like I'm trying to sale you a bow but I give credit where it's due good luck with your search
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow man:
Hit one of the larger shoots and shoot some you are interested in. Then you will know what is best for you
I totally agree.  This is the only way you'll find out what really works for you.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
What they^^^ said, these threads will give you what you pay for. Go and get first hand experience.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
The best advice I got when starting Trad is that finding the perfect bow for you is a journey and only you can figure out what you like best.

You could buy and sell many bows at a huge cost of travel to a few shoots to try several out or go see Big Jim in GA or RMS in CO to shoot a ton of used bows.

When you figure in Bowyers, bow styles, wood combos, grips, lengths, tiller, limb design, riser mass, etc. there is hundreds if not a thousand top ranking bows but only one as your personal number one.

If I had to select a great quality, custom bow, at a fair price that I would love to shoot all day I would get a RER XR or RER Vital or a Heartland Custom Bows Surge or a used Hummingbird Kingfisher (made in NC, sadly Bowyer has past), a Robertson Tribal Styk is a nice take down also with a great grip.

Second best advice I got was not to go too heavy.  45 to 50 max is plenty for hunting and targets.  Easier to shoot with better Form if you are not straining at all in your draw.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Josh, where do you live in NC. You can go to one of the local trad club  and shoot some.  The CTA is having a shoot next Saturday.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Over the past 8 years after returning to recurves for hunting (2010), I've bought and sold many of the customs.  Some were ordered by me and others were bought from the classifieds here.  

I have to report that I thought every one of these bows was terrific and didn't figure to ever get rid of any one of them.  However, I did sell off most of them.   I imagine I've gone through about 20 different model recurves during this period.  I currently have 8 recurves and will probably only hunt with two of them (both Blacktail T2s).  (If I ever figure out how to use photo bucket again I'll probably sell another 3 of these bows that are going unshot.)

The reason I share all of this is because I don't think if all these bows had been on a used rack in the draw weight and LH that I shoot, that I would have decided any of them (except for one) that I wouldn't have wanted.  It seems that I needed to own the bow, shoot it for weeks, months, or even a couple of years, before I decided if it was a keeper or not.

The characteristics of bows I've kept are:
-- Great looking (exotic and dense hardwoods)
-- Very comfortable and easily repeatable grips
-- The length I prefer (56-58")
-- Smooth drawing and quiet shooting

I think the advice provided in these posts about not being over-bowed (most important) and visiting shows/shoots where you can view and try several models is solid.  

I would definitely recommend trying to find what you want in the classifieds here though, you can save (unfortunately for the seller) several hundred to $1,000 depending upon the bow.  

I would imagine if you get a good deal on a used bow you probably won't lose much on the resale of it if you decide it isn't a favorite after some time.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
My favorite recurve is my Bigfoot SS 3 piece, all I want in a bow. She is very quick, quiet and smooth drawing at the back end due to static tips. Border bows also makes a fantastic bow in there covert hunter. Also Kirk at Bigfoot bows also makes the static recurve in am ILF design if you prefer.  Josh, if you ever get to Myrtle Beach you could try one.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
In my opinion you can't beat a bear takedown new or old. You can mix and match limbs and risers for your needs whether it's length or weight. I finally pulled the trigger on one and I don't see myself having another go to bow anytime soon. They just work! Smooth and fast and hit where you want
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Some good points made about looks you can live with and a comfortable bow to shoot in both feel and draw weight.

But I think Bowwild made a real good point that realistically, most of us who have shot for a while have gone through many bows, although we were happy with what we had when we first acquired them. That means that you will want to buy a bow you can sell fast when you want to change - like buying a house. A bow with good looks, a popular brand, and in a draw weight that matches to lots of various shooters. That most likely will be the mid 40's. Seems like most stronger folks like 50 to 55lb and weaker  shooters and some older shooters like something close to 40, so the mid forties splits the difference and will serve well for almost any type of shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©