3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woodsman or delta  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
woodsman or delta
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
I need to go with a 175 grain screw in BH
In your opinion  would you use the woodsman or the delta 4 blade?

Ive been challenged to get the woodsman shavin sharp in the past.
Slickhead

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: woodsman or delta
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with a delta

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
I like'em both
Light strokes is the key to sharpening the woodsmans

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
I've never liked the Woodsman head. If you have trouble sharpening it, go with the Delta. It's always been a good head.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
New woodsman are ground much better then old ones.  I'd probably go with woodsman elite or vpa three blades myself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Woodsman...Woodsman elite or VPA
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
^I'm in the same boat... I can sharpen my knives and chisels to hair-whittling sharp.

However, i'm having a time sharpening some Zwickey Eskimo 4-blades i received recently. The steel is a strange one for me.... It acts like over-hardened 1050 or 1070 steel.

The bleeders kind of get in the way of my stone, though they themselves aren't too bad to sharpen.
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Personally I'd pick the Delta 2 blade instead of  the 4 blade. I could never get those bleeder blades very sharp, but can easily get the main blades very very sharp.

What draw weight you shooting?
Mark 1:17

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
Woodsman - I think it's super easy to file sharpen, and has proven very dependable for me after a number of animals.  I too had trouble getting the 4-blade delta "sharp enough" for my taste.  That head has killed lots of critters and been around for too long to not be great head - it's just one that's I've not had luck with sharpening.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
I've used both , woodsman is super easy to sharpen if you do it the easy way! LOL

Deltas, love 2 blades but as said before, pain to sharpen around the extra blades and the bleeders are a PITA to get close to sharp. (for me)

All that and I'm using VPA heads now because they don't have whistling vents.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline billy dryden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
I like the woodsman. I can get them sharp with a jewel stick. I check them on a rubber band. I hold the rubber band around my pointer finger and thumb. If the blade will cut the rubber band its sharp. You don't want to stretch the rubber band to tight and use minimal pressure as you slide the braodhead across the band.when its sharp it should pop as shoot as the broad head starts to slide across the band.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
I've never used the Delta's, only the Eskimo.  Easy to get those shaving sharp.  Cut the heck out of my finger once checking sharpness LOL.  They were very sharp!  I have never taken big game with one though.

I have used the original Woodsman glue on 125's and they performed wonderfully on whitetail deer.  Flew great, penetrated great, and left a great blood trail as well.  They took a minute to figure out how to sharpen them correctly(before all the tutorials) but once sharpened I really liked them.  I see no reason why the Woodsman Elite heads in 175 wouldn't do well for you.  They are easier to sharpen than the originals too.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
Used both and have had good results with both. My two go to heads.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
I am a Zwickey fan since the 1960s,work for me so I stay with them.Do not have any trouble getting the bleeders on my Deltas sharp.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
I shoot both of them.  Un fact, often have both in the quiver at the same time.  I can get the Deltas sharper, but can also get the Woodsmans plenty sharp.  Both do the job.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
I have several Woodsman heads and using a good file, back to front across 2 blades at once, lighter strokes with each pass, rotate, do the same. Once I get a burr, I use a fine stone and do the same, then strop across cardboard. Hair popping, super sharp. I use the same technique with Snuffers. It don't take very long with each head either. They fly great. I've yet to have a Woodsman head not fly perfectly (with a well-tuned bow/arrow setup).

I sharpen my Deltas on the Rada wheelie sharpener. Wow...so simple but so effective. Tilt the head downward and pull upward thru the wheels, back to front. Lighter with each pass until a good burr is on top. Then strop across cardboard. Scary sharp...and very simple to sharpen. The big Zwickey Delta flies extremely good, plus flies silent. The Woodsman heads will whistle a little. Ive hit some hard stuff with Deltas and can attest they are tough.

I don't think anyone could go wrong with either head. Just a personal preference I suppose.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Both are great heads.  Woodsman are a "great flying" broadhead (as most long and lean broadheads are) but will sometimes whistle if not mounted straight.  If your arrow tune is borderline and/or you are shooting in a strong wind, Deltas have been known to plane. (as well as any wide, non-vented broadhead).  As for getting the Deltas sharp, Terry Green has a video here on how to sharpen Zwickey 4 blades.  Check it out.  I use a Rada wheelie on my Zwickey Eskimo 4 blades (main blade) and a file on the bleeders.  Woodsman (as well as any 3 blade) have the sharpening angles built in, (making it easy) but due to the higher angle, don't feel as sharp.  If you go with the Woodsman, be sure you knock off the needle point.  I had one bend like a elf shoe on a does head.  (Let me explain... I shot at a one doe and she ducked. I hit another doe right beside her at the butt of the ear.  She was ducking and wheeling also.  The arrow came out her throat.)  Never have bent a Zwickey on a game animal.  Bottom line, go with the one you can get the sharpest that flies the best for you.  (Sorry for being long winded)
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »

Side-by-side comparison.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I really like the delta, sharpens very well, as does the woodsman, I'm one to stick with gear that works and have shot zwickey deltas a really long time and have killed bunch of game with them. I think the woodsman is a good head but would rather see a non vented model and machined in one piece with the needle point knocked off,  plus I think the elite version is WAY overpriced, or at least for me anyway.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©