3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladder stands on windmills for antelope?  (Read 802 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Ladder stands on windmills for antelope?
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
I was wondering if any of you have ever placed a ladder stand on a windmill to hunt antelope? If I attempted this, I would want a stand that is about 6-8', so I'm well below the spinning blades. I know it's not legal to place these stands on public ground in some states, but I will be hunting a private ranch. What are your thoughts on this?

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladder stands on windmills for antelope?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
My buddy hunts a place in Wyoming a private ranch there, he said there was a group of hunters with trad bows and that's what they did ladders or even put a tree stand on the windmill. And he said they all tagged out. Those guys told him they have killed a bunch that way because antelope aren't in the habit of looking up, just don't move when there coming in.

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
My buddy hunts a place in Wyoming a private ranch there, he said there was a group of hunters with trad bows and that's what they did ladders or even put a tree stand on the windmill. And he said they all tagged out. Those guys told him they have killed a bunch that way because antelope aren't in the habit of looking up, just don't move when there coming in.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
We used windmills in Texas for rifle hunting when I was a kid, just put a couple of boards across the horizontal supports, but I was 13ish then, don't think I could sit for very long like that now or shoot a bow off those. But remember, set the brake on the windmill before you climb up and then remember to take the brake off when you're done!!!!!!!!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Well, second thought crossed my mind, if you can shoot with the windmill running versus putting the brake on, it would give you some noise coverage!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
We did not use ladder stands, but did have success using strap on types.  The windmill we were using were made with 3" pipe and with a little ingenuity we were able to secure them.  I think we had to do some shimming. My son used a Sneaky Sac harness.  He was able to tie it off on an upper crossbar and adjusted it so he could stand on the crossbar below him.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Interesting stuff here for sure. I could bring a strap-on. I just wasn't sure what the best approach would be. The rancher says the blades of the windmill are very high, so setting up a lower stand could work well.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
The thing is, you don't have to be more than 6 or 7 feet high. I know the first time I hunted on a windmill I could reach up and lay my bow on the stand and then climb up.
I remember thinking that everything for 10 miles in every direction just watched my climb up there but in reality, it was less than an hour before I had 3 goats within 20 yards.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
We used to take planks and tie them on to the frame of the windmill. Take a tarp or umbrella for the sun. We took a cooler to sit on and to store lunch and drinks
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
This set up worked just fine even though I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. Killed a nice buck from it.    

I wouldn't be a bit shy about putting up a ladder stand.

Here's a picture taken from the platform.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Great pics and stories. Looks like maybe the windmill stands are the way to go!

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
We use quadpods or tripods, ours are 12 feet high and have a back and sides added . No windmills nothing around just set them up and get in, the antelope never seemed to pay any attention to them right from the get go . I know of a lot of trophy antelope the fellows in ND killed using tipods. Ive had them look right at me from 15 yards and stared awhile then look away as if nothing was there . Being up in the air works a lot better than a popup blind. Most of the time they wont come close enough to a ground blind to get a shot even when we put them out 2 weeks before the hunt. If you have a windmill available it will work if the wind mill is on the right side of the water hole, they tend to water on the same side of the pond a lot, your windmill maybe in the wrong place for a close shot. With tripods and quadpods you can move and get in a better and more active spot.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Tim, what are the brands and models of tripods you use? Thanks for all the helpful info!

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
We built our own quadpods mine has a 60" by 48" platform and is 12 feet high has room for a cooler and to lay down and have a snooze at slow times we used lawn chairs to sit in . Its kind of a delux stand with a roof and 3 side walls also has a hook to hang antelope for skinning . For hog hunting I bought a quadpod from Cabelas its only 6 feet high but Im sure the company makes taller ones its really nice. Its like a ladder stand with legs on the back and very comfortable seat. Ill find out what the others used in tripods and get back to you .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks, Tim. Your quadpods are DELUXE accommodations!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
It's a great idea for sure.  I remember reading a story TJ Conrads wrote about sitting in a windmill over a stock tank while antelope hunting.  He said he got sun burned pretty good.  So if you go this route don't forget the SPF 50!

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Holden:
It's a great idea for sure.  I remember reading a story TJ Conrads wrote about sitting in a windmill over a stock tank while antelope hunting.  He said he got sun burned pretty good.  So if you go this route don't forget the SPF 50!

-Jeremy    :coffee:  
Thanks!

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
Anyone have success but on mule deer using the same setup?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
I wonder if spraying a dash of paint on the blades would make movement that would later cover your movement a bit ?  If they get used to a dot or something moving above, a little bit of you moving might be dismissed.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
Anybody try this for whitetail? I had someone tell me it worked great.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©