3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead improvements?  (Read 867 times)

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
Broadhead improvements?
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Is there really much room for improvement with all the heads we have available? Without going crazy with price, what would you change or create?
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead improvements?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I don't believe so
whatever choice you make the sharper the better.

People been killing critters with stone heads so a sharp metal point is all you need.
Slickhead

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Well the stone done correctly is sharper than the metal. Yeah though I just dont see how you can improve on whats out there.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
There are many great broadheads out there and it seems like the new whiz bang introductions are usually about some sort of aesthetic.

Grizzly, Ace, greenheads, zwicky, just to name a few.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I have noticed that some heads have better metal for file sharpening than others. Original Schulz Hunter's Heads and Rib Tecs have a waxy feel under the file when the edge gets flat, they also seem to hold that edge. It is also possible for head to be way too mushy under the file, those do not hold their edge. While others are so hard that they dull the file too quickly, other sharpening methods are best for them.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
i'd like to see a one piece machined BH in the style of grizzly or tuffhead but with the ferrule extending right to the tip.

oh, and for $5 each.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I want a Simmons Safari contour in 3 blade...

Actually, the landshark would be even better (it's wider)!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Not a fan of the abrupt ferrule termination and recessed sections in the blades. I like the smooth contours of the tuffhead and grizzly. I just want the ferrule to extend to the tip. Then one piece machined would top it off. Then affordable for the blue collar bowhunter.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
My personal dreamed 2 blade BH would be 1.5" wide, one piece machined, at least .055" thickness on the blade and extra long ferule with .080" or thicker tip thickness
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
There are at least a dozen two, three and 4-blade broad heads currently on the market of which I would be happy to use any one for the rest of my hunting days.  

I would add that most of these have been around a while.  They have not been put on the market within the past 5 years.  In short,  I'm not impressed with most of the new stuff, and I think it highly unlikely there'll be much innovation that shows real improvement in fixed blade heads.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Ton''a of improvements just listen to Saturday morning hunting shows and the latest and greatest expandable's   :biglaugh:
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
Ton's
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
The new 200 grain Grizzly double bevel filled the last gap I saw in the market.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
I want a Simmons Safari contour in 3 blade...

Actually, the landshark would be even better (it's wider)!
Stole the words from my mouth!

Offline BILL LEU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
There are several heads on the market that have been around for a long time and for good reasons- there good heads.
I was in Alberta bear hunting several moons ago, there was a celebrity hunting couple in camp working on one of there "bear" videos, one morning he was walking up to us hunters with a brown paper bag full of expandable spitfires handing them out he got to me I told him no didn't want to shoot that %#@*, I shoot, at that time, eskimos I got a cold shoulder from the both of them for the rest hunt.
Pushing gadgets, money, and fame that is what drives the industry, so it seems.
"Bow hunting already has its hero's, its our endeavor to keep the fire burning"- WTL

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I suppose this will come across as a bit critical, but I would have accepted the heads and then done a penetration/survival test on the first bear shoulder blade that came in to camp.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by NY Yankee:
Is there really much room for improvement with all the heads we have available? Without going crazy with price, what would you change or create?
the last thing was the one piece broadhead which I have to admit was a dang good upgrade but after that its like kicking a rotted corpse,,,in essence now its about who has the best harvest photos..  I think that's all we need now is someone offering a broadhead sharpening service,, I'm talking scaple sharp polished edges that only a very few can achieve,, some of my heads I'm just not happy with!!!

for people like me who have a tough time sharpening certain heads but seriously if I struggle getting something sharp like those dang Australian heads      :mad:      I just find something else      :biglaugh:
"Us vs Them"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
I would include some IT so i can always find it and maybe ( maybe not) so they always fly where i am looking.

Offline Esau

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
BILL LEU, you have a valid point!

I built my broadheads out of what I know worked well for me for the past 45 years.

I was at the ATA (Archery Trade Association)show this last January.

I had two of the larger name brand heads on my display just as a discussion or comparison.

Almost every one I talked to made negative comment regarding the to other brand heads.

All agreed in this industry it is more about the marketing than what actually works.

Red River Broadheads are designed and built by bow hunter for bow hunters. Bow hunters that know what works well and what does not work well.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
I have some 190 grain Rib Tecs from Brad Hawkins. I think they would be improved if they were cut down to a single bevel Hill shape of about 170 grains.  Okay, maybe that would not make much difference, but it would be really cool.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©