3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Completely lost on wood arrows  (Read 619 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Completely lost on wood arrows
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:00 AM »
Ok, so ive used carbon or aluminum arrows my entire life but have yet to use any wood arrows. Id like a setup that i can use for hunting yet have a matching set with field points to be legal for our state indoor and field shoots in longbow class which requires the use of wood. My bow is a crooked stic hyperstic r/d longbow. Its rated at 50# @ 28" and i draw 26.5". I gap shoot using 3 under which normally requires a long shaft with heavy tips(my carbons are 31.5" with 300 grain tips) to bring my point on down to a reasonable distance for indoor and hunting. What im looking for is a 30" bop arrow with 200 grain broadheads/190grain fieldtips but have zero clue what shaft spine to go with. Can anybody offer any help?
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Completely lost on wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:38:00 AM »
65-70 or a 70-75 should fit the bill. Get a test kit to see what your bow likes.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:47:00 AM »
A test kit will tell you a lot.
Personally, I'm thinking that with a long shaft like that and those heavy points, you won't be able to get enough spine for it to work well.
I just don't think heavy points need to be used on wood arrows, your mileage may vary.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
The wood shaft is heavier than carbon, probably 100 grains heavier, and larger diameter, so you won't need as much point weight.  Given that you're going to leave the shafts long, and that your draw weight is close to 45# at your draw, I think shafts in the 45-50# or 50-55# range with a 125 grain point will work.  

Switching from a low stretch to a dacron string will also slow the arrow some and help to reduce your close range gaps.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
your bow weight is about 45# at your draw...assuming are shooting low stretch string so can add 5#...then your 190-200 arrow point weight will need another 15# or maybe 20# spine added as well.

I would get an arrow test kit for 60-65, 65-70 but I suspect the 60-65.

If bow is cut PAST center...then go with heavier ones...if cut BEFORE center go with the lighter ones.

Good luck....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
I would recommend contacting Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows. His finished arrows are unbelievable. You can find him in the sponsor section.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Unless you are just dedicated to the heavier points, I would consider dropping to 125 gr. points. My wife, kids, and I all shoot wood with 125 gr. points using bows in draw weight from 40 to 60 lbs. With longer shafts you will still be looking at spine around 40/45 to 45/50. I think you would really be surprised how well wood and 125 points shoot with the best spine. We have enjoyed success at shoots as well as in the hunting woods. I shoot a 60 lb  longbow and most of my deer are taken with pass thrus. My wife shoots 40 lb bows and has enjoyed similar success at competitions and the woods.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
Read "Kelly's tips" at "Arrows by Kelly" (www.arrowskp.com)
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
With wood, you always have the option to sand them down a bit to reduce spine if they are a bit heavy. Samding the middle can reduce the spine without too big of a drop in weight. To tweak wood arrows to match, you sand the ends to get the weights to match and the middle to match spine. It'll atleast get you close enough that it'll be hard to see a difference between them.

Kyle

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
First: arrowskp x2. Simple and reliable, from a very well respected source.

My suggestions: Factoring in length of arrow BOP, your draw length, and your bow, I'm thinking 55/60's, 30" BOP, with 125grn points will be a very close, if not spot on match. Could be easily tweaked if necessary by point weight or strike plate adjustment.

Now I know you're thinking 200 grn points, but as others have said, wood shafts are much heavier than carbon. A 55/60, 30" arrow, with 125grn point, even with Sitka Spruce (the lightest shafts), is going to end up somewhere around 10-11 gpp for your bow, easily. A 200 grn point will give you a VERY heavy arrow - and you'll see it in the trajectory. You'll need a higher spine to accomodate the heavy points, so shaft weight will go up as well as point weight.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Right now my total arrow weight is right at 720 grains with my carbons using 300 grain tips so im not super worried about weight since im already use to shooting super heavy arrows
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
Well, at the spine weight you'd need to handle a 200 grain head, you'd probably find it easy to get a 700 grain arrow. I'm not familiar enough with that spine and head weight to give any accurate guess on the spine you'd need; ball park I'd say 70-80.

The Surewood site has a chart of the general weight range of (Doug Fir)shafts in a given spine, if that helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©