3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hang on or climber tree stand  (Read 871 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
hang on or climber tree stand
« on: June 24, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
new to bowhunting and hunting in general. I'm going to be hunting public land and was wondering which tree stand would be best. a climber or hang on. i want to pack light do to shoulder and neck issues. and something affordable. any help would be great, thanks

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hang on or climber tree stand
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
If you have the right trees for a climber, I think they are the best. My Lone Wolf hand climber feels every bit as stable as the hang ons I've used. Sit and Climb style climbers have clearance issues for trad bows. You need to be in decent shape for a hand climber though. But you have to be in pretty good shape to put up a hang on too. I think the climbers are overall safer too, since you can easily be tethered the whole time, buy a good safety harness, the ones that come with the stand are complete crap!!!!!!!!!! You should watch some of the YouTube videos from Sean's outdoor adventures on how to set up a stand for easy carry
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
Climber is better but if you hunt an area with limby trees or short curvy ones a loc on would be better. Also if you hunt an area where everybody hunts in trees dont over look sitting on the ground.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
If I was hunting public, I'd get a ghillie longcoat til I hunt/scouted it awhile. Then pick out a stand if you have tags left.  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Hang on with sticks, opens up so many more trees that can be hunted from.  I like to get above or beside some limbs to help with concealment. If you can get good concealment then there's no need to climb as high, that creates better shot angles.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
If I was hunting public, I'd get a ghillie longcoat til I hunt/scouted it awhile. Then pick out a stand if you have tags left.   :D  
This is excellent advice that you should follow.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Lone wolf climber if the trees are right in your area.  Hickories are bad to climb oaks, poplars, beech, maples are generally good.  I can race a grey squirrel up a tree w my climber, but im not coordinated enough to try to hang a lock on.  Harness is a must from the time you leave the ground until youre back on the ground.  This is just what works for me.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by sidekick:

Originally posted by kennym:
If I was hunting public, I'd get a ghillie longcoat til I hunt/scouted it awhile. Then pick out a stand if you have tags left.    :D  
This is excellent advice that you should follow. [/b]
I third this.

Lone Wolf or X-stand have my vote as far as climbers go.  X-stand X1 and X1 mini are super light.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
On public land in NW Iowa, people use tree stands like no trespassing signs.  Put up an $80 ladder stand and act like you own 100 acres of public property.  some woods have lots of trees that work with Lone wolf climbers. Around here it is the basswoods.  They work on other trees, but you may need to trim a twig or two on the way up.  It is very common for tree stands to get taken over or stolen.  It is pretty hard for some lay claim to a climber than is either on your back or under your butt.  They are safe and easy to use, but follow the directions.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
I hate climbers. It never fails that the tree I want won't work.  I had one for a year and every time I would go to a spot I'd have to pick the tree that was slightly less ideal and would miss an opportunity.  A strap on and climbing sticks is the way to go or screw in steps if you want something more permanent.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
On public land in NW Iowa, people use tree stands like no trespassing signs.  Put up an $80 ladder stand and act like you own 100 acres of public property.  some woods have lots of trees that work with Lone wolf climbers. Around here it is the basswoods.  They work on other trees, but you may need to trim a twig or two on the way up.  It is very common for tree stands to get taken over or stolen.  It is pretty hard for some lay claim to a climber than is either on your back or under your butt.  They are safe and easy to use, but follow the directions.
I think that's pretty much anywhere, I quit leaving stands altogether on public land for two reasons. One because I thought about it from other peoples perspective and realize that it was like sticking a claim to something that wasn't mine. Also because every time I leave a standup someone puts another one  within a few yards of mine.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
I think both have their good and bad points. A hang-on with a good set of climbing sticks can be bought much cheaper than a good climber. If $$$ is an obstacle, you can buy a couple decent hang-on and sticks for the price of one good climber. This will allow you to set up a couple stands and hunt different spots according to the wind or evening or morning movements. I like to pre-set hang-on stands before season as it allows me to slip in the area quietly and climb right up and be in the stand quickly with very little noise. Plus you can hike/move into your area without having a stand on your back every time. To use this technique you gotta do your homework with boots on the ground before season starts and be willing to go in and move a stand if you've found that you're out of position for the best movement of deer.
Mark 1:17

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm afraid someone might steal it if I leave it.  Makes me nervous . Do they make a hang on that locks?

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
I use a chain and padlock for all my hang-on stands, even on private property. And it doubles as a secondary safety precaution if the strap ever gave-way.

And on public land, I take down the last climbing stick section and carry it in-out each time. yeah sure, someone, if they wanted it bad enough, could still get the stuff, but most people are simply too lazy to work at it too hard and will just move on to an easier target.
Mark 1:17

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Lone wolf climber. You can hang them on limbed trees same as you do a hang on stand, but a hang on won't climb. Wonder why people can't see that ?
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
I also looked at the X stand X1 mini online. Anybody have one or have any thoughts about it?

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
Gotta have both - we run Lone Wolf Climbers and Hang On Chippewa Wedglocs at about a 50/50 rate. Remember you pick the spot for its hunting value and shot placement advantage. So you pick trees due to their location - NOT what stand might be easiest to set up in it.

If you had to pick one Hang Ons can go on any tree - Climbers only go up a pole style - mostly pines for us but we do have palm trees also in some locations.

And we almost never leave stands in the woods set up - either style. Exception is sometimes we set up on an afternoon the day before a very serious morning hunt and we will hang a Chippewa and leave it there for next morning.

<><
<---------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Each has it's own benefits but for quick in and out on public land a climber would be more practical.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
lotta pine in my area, climber best option. Used to hunt a different area and never failed the trees were all crooked so I'd go in with a hang on and rope steps and set up that hunt and take it all down once hunt was over.
I just use  a climber these days. LW climber, light easy up down pack up and go --- but again in my area mostly straight pines?
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
In Iowa some of the best places to hunt deer on public land is where there is no place to hang a tree stand.  Areas with cedar shrub or plumb thickets, on hill sides and heavy brush cover along creek bottoms attract deer and often have few or no trees to hang tree stands.  Hunters think they can track deer patterns, but deer are experts at tracking the hunters patterns.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©