3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie know how  (Read 883 times)

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie know how
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
How are you guys using ghillie suits in the woods?  I'm assuming you carry them in and put them on once you're at the spot you plan to hunt.  Just curious how you are using them.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie know how
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
That's what I do .
Kinda hard to walk through the woods with one on , but some do .
I like to have mine in my backpack and put it on when I get on stand .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:06:00 AM »
What adjustments do ya have to make to be able to shoot w one on?  Id guess some trimming is required?

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
practice, practice with it on

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Since I walk to one spot and hunt, I carry mine in and then put it on. Also helps to keep from picking up anything that might attach itself to it along the way.

Yes, some trimming on your bow arm might be in order plus I use an extra long arm guard for assurance.
Never wait too long!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »

I trimmed the bow arm and bow arm side of the chest , and then I use a sleeve type arm guard .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I carry in and them slip it on.  Like the other guys said, shoot with it on and trim where needed.  Have fun, they are a blast to hunt with!

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
Ghillies are a blast to hunt in. You hear all these stories about game coming too close to shoot and you don't really believe them until it happens to you. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

I prefer the pants, jacket, hood option over the long coat. You don't want to walk anywhere while wearing one. They are like one giant piece of Velcro. If you walk near a blackberry bramble or multi-flora rose you'll get hung up and stuck for days!

Besides your ghillie, carry a pair of pruning shears, zip ties, and a folding saw in your pack so you can trim things out of your way in your setup.

Darren

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
What Darren says is true, my closest kill shot has been about 3-4 yards after the deer walked past close enough to hit with my bow. You definitely want your arrow well tuned and flying straight right off your bow.                              There have been a few times when I have worn the suit while moving but the situation and surroundings have to be just right and movement is about as slow as the minute hand on a clock.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
I haven't worn or made one since was in the Marine Corps.  But, give you same advice gave others.

1) carry it in and out.
2) don't forget to add natural camo to it.
3) Trim and/or use quality arm guard, take many practice shot's before season to find issues.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
For mine ( a Rancho Safari longcoat) I ended up cutting off the bow arm at the elbow, and find that I just don't need it.  I have used one for a long time, mostly hunt from the ground lately and love it.  As above, carry it in.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
Okay
I carry mine in.... spray down once in... once I cool down, then I put it on...

I use a tree seat.... till about 10 yrs ago I used a homemade plywood model with glued on computer packing foam for a cushion.... then I got the millennium tree seat... either way, once tree seat is set, clear the ground enough room to stand and shoot... or turn and shoot 360 degrees... that is wide enough to shoot behind you, which means around the tree you are sitting against... one thing about deer, they tend not to follow the script... you kill them where you find em

Position yourself downwind 15 yds off a food source or trail to a food source... in the shade is paramount IMHO .... or an outside curve- deer love to pause and look down the trail before proceeding....

I actually have killed more deer from the ground- hillier suit or not.... by this method... but more does have died from this tactic targeting trail downwind from permanent stands....

Once they learn where they are at, they typically willl scent check them before presenting a shot... but here in the gun hunting south, tradition runs deep.... and on leases permanent stands are as plentiful as can be!!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
I carry mine into the woods using my day pack. I don't use the head covering only the jacket and pants. I also used it extensively in the Treestand and I found it to be very helpful

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Don't really even need the sleeves. I think there was a video showing someone slit the sleeves and they just hang over the shoulders.

You are going to be moving when taking the shot anyway.

I don't like the hat either, it always seems out of position when I draw the bow. I would trim it way back as well.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ShooterMcGavin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Are y'all using these on deer only or other game as well?
Aim SMALL, Miss SMALL.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
Only deer for me so far.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
I don't use mine much, but plan to more in the future, particularly if I can get the smell out.  Have an original jute Rancho Safari.  In short, it stinks, mostly like jute.  Have washed it a couple of times and hung it in the sun for days.  Still stinks.  

Odor is strong enough that I think nearby critters might detect it even with the wind primarily in my favor.  Don't know if it's a smell that would spook them though.

Plan to wash and hang it again this summer.  Appreciate any advice on how to eliminate or reduce the odor.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Also put mine on when I get,to my spot.
I have many types. Now using Big Jims version.
One,of,his,suggestions,is,to make a slit on the bow arm shoulder and put arm through it eliminating the sleeve.

I don't care for the hooded part on any of them.
I have a Terry Green type hat with added strips.
Have not had a legal deer close. Lots of little bucks at arm length though.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
Seriously, i cut off the whole arm at the elbow ( bow arm). You dont need it.  Jerry...dont hang any elk urine wafers on it..that takes Years to get gone....

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
I wear mine, as I am a stillhunter, no stand for me.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©