3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short draw hunting setup question  (Read 498 times)

Offline Autumn Sunrise

• Trad Bowhunter
Short draw hunting setup question
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
Hi all. I am not the most seasoned traditional bowhunter.  I've been doing this for 3 years now and have a hog and a whitetail buck to my credit.  I'm hoping the more experienced here can help me out.
Right now I shoot a 60lb Kodiak Magnum-at my 25" drawlength I'm guessing that's 50-52lbs.
I made up some high weight, high foc arrows- 630grains, 27.5% FOC.  They fly great, couldn't ask for better flight. Then I shot a 3d course and got served a slice of humble pie.  Talk about arc-goodness!
My question is this- do I, as primarily a deer hunter, need this kind of arrow?  Range estimation is super critical with these feather rocks.  I do have another arrow setup, 530 grains, that also works well.  I'm starting to think that extra 100 grains ain't worth the hassle.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short draw hunting setup question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
530gr is plenty to kill a whitetail. Hit well and you'll collect your deer. That is still a heavier set up than more than one of use is using. I'm drawing 45# with a 487gr arrow. There is a thread on here about deer taken with 40-45# bows; it went many pages.
SWA Spyder

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
I shoot a 47lb Palmer recurve at my 26" draw and hunt with arrows ranging from 480 grains thru 530 grains and have never had a problem with penetration on deer and hogs. I use big broad heads too like the Palmer Extreme Cut, snuffers and 4 blade Muzzy phantoms.

What has worked for me is to use a big broad head and not to crowd the shoulder.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
450-460 grains will get you into the 9 grains per pound range and out of the 12.5 gpp range that you are currently in. You will notice quite an improvement in trajectory and plenty of arrow for hunting.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
I used a 500 grn arrow out of my 50# longbow which I'm only pulling to about 26.5" so about 46-46# with a 175 grn vpa 3 blade last year. I shot a buck and had complete pass through with no problem. I'm sure the heavier weight will help with some other animals like hogs but don't think it's needed for whitetails
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
I'd hang on to the heavier arrows for hogs, where depending upon the size of the hog a heavy FOC arrow would be an asset. Deer being thin skinned and lightly boned are mostly made up of water and a well balanced arrow in the 9-10 gpp range is more than adequate, in addition to having a flatter trajectory.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
I agree with Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©