3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Question  (Read 506 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Question
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm shooting some 2018s cut to 29.25" with 175grn up front.  Using a 53# recurve and my fletched arrows are consistently high and right about 5-6" from the intended bullseye.  If I compensate and aim low and left I hit pretty close to intended target.  What's going on?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Tuning Question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Hard to tell.  When you say high and right, compared to what?  Are you shooting a different/new bow? Is it cut to center, past center? What's your draw length? Are you right or left handed?

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Right handed, draw is right at 28", nock set at 5/8".  I've had the bow (recurve)for awhile, but wanted to give the 2018's a go through it.  I was just wondering if there was a general rule/diagnosis for hitting high right for a right hander, before I get too deep in the weeds.  Consistently right with a fletched arrow - too stiff or weak? High - nock to high/low?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
Yes, rule of thumb right is stiff. High is nocking point a little low. What were you shooting? There can be other things though.>>---> Ken

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
Right is not stiff for a right hander, it's weak.  Regardless, I seriously doubt the arrows are too soft.  You have a fair amount of weight up front, but 2018s spine at 67-70#

Depending on what you were shooting previously, the 2018s might be a little smaller diameter.  That means they ride closer to the center of the bow.  If nothing else changed, that would point them a little more to the right. The narrower diameter would also have the effect of raising the nock point a tad, because the center of the arrow would also rider closer to the shelf. That would have the effect of making the arrow shoot lower.

Both of these would be small changes though, and probably not noticeable.  

Are the arrows just physically lighter than what you were shooting? Have you checked the nocks and points to make sure they're on straight.  Has your brace height and nock point stayed the same?  

If it's none of the above, it may be something in your form.  Or, your brain may just take a while to adjust.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
^^^brace height& nock point. I shoot a 29.5 2018 with a .175 out of everything I own. Besides a "D" bow...with the exception being a Toelke Super D they are perfect fliers. Make sure they are not walking down your serving when loosed Troy. But you should be right on...weird.   rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks guys, but I'm a little (a lot) embarrassed.  Not sure why I had such a brain fart, but my arrows are going high and left not high and right.  I got thinking high right in my head and just kept typing that. Now that I have everyone going totally the wrong direction - lets turn things around with the correct info. Now what say you? By the way, this is a Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet recurve.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
I second RR2. 2018s my go to for 60ish longbows an 50ish recurves for 20 years. Check nock fit also for just snug. Too tight or loose can make arrows do funny things. Not all nocks the same. Not even same company/size...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
2018s are pretty stiff. I can only get them to work out of 60+# bows. Also, if you cant the bow, a stiff arrow will go high AND left.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
OK, so now we've established they're too stiff.  As has already been pointed out, if your nock point is a little low, they could send the arrows higher.  Too, it's possible this bow just might require a higher nock point than your other bow(s).

In addition to the things already suggested, it's possible the shelf on the Howard is higher above your hand than your other/existing bows.  If you don't pay attention to that, it can cause you to shoot higher until your brain starts to figure it out.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
Orion is correct. I type faster than I think. Sorry about that. Or maybe I read your mind since the arrows do seem to be stiff.Good luck.>>--->Ken

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:50:00 AM »
thought shooting to the right of target for a righty is weak?
aim small miss small

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
Have you shot any bare shafts?
I start with bare shafts and watch the nock as I shoot at 20 yards or so.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
Ken, you might have psychic powers, a good trait to have to answer some of the questions that arise on this site.     :goldtooth:

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
Have you shot through paper yet? I'm a noob myself and I have never been able to bare shaft tune properly other than seeing arrow flight. Point of impact, my mind corrects, nock direction, the target moves. Paper at a very close distance (4-6ft) then move back at 10 ft gives you a snapshot of what the arrow is doing. But one thing I have learned is that a nock high in paper (or bareshaft) could be a nock point too low not just too high. I have never had a false nock low but many false nock highs (nock point too low with arrow slapping shelf). Also, correcting nock point first is very important. A nock point in the wrong place can cause many false spine readings in my limited experience.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
Orion, I don't think so but it would be nice. With all the misinformation out there then I write the wrong thing when I know better. That doesn't help at all. >>>-----> Ken

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 12:40:00 AM »
have can the paper be correct if the arrow is still in paradox?
aim small miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©