3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need some advice on a +15 degree sleeping bag  (Read 1438 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
I need some advice on a +15 degree sleeping bag
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
I don't want to spend $150-$300 on a sleeping bag. I need a good, warm and reasonably priced sleeping bag. Any advice?

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need some advice on a +15 degree sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
Take a look at outdoor vitals bags. I have a couple of them and they seem to be good quality and a reasonable price.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Being cold at night really sucks, one thing I won't cut corners on is insulation. Can't offer suggestion on bags since I switched to a hammock from a tent.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Kelty Cosmic down is pretty good.  Military system isn't bad if weight isn't a concern.  I prefer an enlightened equipment quilt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
I used to think that you should get the warmest bag (rated) that you can, not anymore.  

Years ago I bought a very good one from REI that was on a really good sale, making it affordable to me.  It is rated well below zero if I recall.  Under normal conditions I can't even zip it shut because I get way to hot in it.

Just a thought......

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
OK.... sleeping bags.

1) Temp range (which has a huge impact on cost) ALWAYS choose a bag 10-15 F lower than the lowest anticipated temp to be sleeping in.

2) Are you backing packing in or car? Light weight sleeping bags are expensive

3) You're on a budget - cool... Since less expensive bags do not perform nearly as well as higher-quality bags (duh?) - choose a bag rated  around 20 degrees F lower than anticipated coolest temperatures.

4) AVOID BAGS MADE WITH ANY COTTON MATERIAL

Incidentally, i've been backpacking/ mountaineering (not so climbing anymore...i'm fat now) for over 30 years,
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
I accidentally posted my reply above and have no way to edit it....

Long story short.... I started out dirt poor in the late 70's and used the cheapest gear available - and suffered.

I grew up, got a career and bought the top shelf gear and replaced it as it either wore out or as i  broke it.

Sleeping bags are among the few items i will spend big for. A good nights sleep is worth it in the extremes...

However, if you're not camping in extreme cold then really good gear can be had for reasonable prices.

Under $150 or so you're gonna have to shop hard.

Look for Kelty brand bags - in that price range they're really good (i use 'em for my kids sleep-overs and general 'knock around' use.)

I've used Slumberjack a few times and every bag i've bought sucked. Big time.

A lot of hunting type outdoors folks buy the "Wiggy's" brand and swallow the "Lamilite" bait. It's bunk. The guy is a nut job and defends his "technology" too ardently.

I've not used one, but the "Big Agnes" brand gets a lot of accolades from credible sources (credible to me anyway...).

The REI and EMS brands are usually very good as well and have exceptional return policies (though may be outside of your stipulated budget).

OK, i'll stop here.... Sorry about the book... but you did ask for it  :D

frank
+35lb limbs

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
Oopsie ....

2x posted... if it can be done wrong i'll find a way!!!
+35lb limbs

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
Stay away from down, except for winter or above tree line camping.... rains happens unless it's below freezing....

I used to work an outdoor outfitter.... after leaving the Corps...
Higher end bags are lighter and more accurate about temp ratings than no name bags...

I have two North Face bags... one is 17 years old, the other is 10!years old- it replaced (under warranty) one that I bought 25 years ago...

A hint about making a bag cover more temp ranges... firstly, bags are rated with used in conjunction with an insulated pad!!! In a tent!!!
A sleep bag liner cuts 5-10 degrees... as does a sleeping bag cover ....
a military poncho liner  adds about 10 degrees to a bag...

So I use a cats meow bag, use a silk sleeping bag liner, Cary a poncho and  poncho liner... I can use the liner and leave the bag open... if it get cold, insert the poncho liner... still colder, zipnit up some... still too cold? Wrap the poncho over the bag and tuck it under the bag.... so a 20 degree bag can go to about  zero for this native Floridian!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
I second JakeD, have had the 30 degree OV bag for a year and it has been fantastic. I have the 800 fill down bag that cost about $120 and have been camping in late november and had no issues at all going right down to 35 degrees. I will be purchasing other items from them soon.

Offline TruffleShuffle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
I bought a like new MSS surplus sleep system on **** for $56 2 years ago.  You can't beat it for that price.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
Great info, guys! Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Down will keep you warm as long as it stays dry. Fiberfill insulates even when damp. I bought a 20deg. Kelty mummy bag back in 2006 when I went to Colorado and it worked well them and since. When I have room I bring along a fleece throw to compliment the bag when needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Years back I did quite a lot of winter camping.  My list goes like this.  1. Long underwear, stocking cap, and super warm socks, two pair if needed. 2. Absolutely no air mattress, I now use a cot with a memory foam pad.  3. An extra wool blanket.  4. If using a small 4 season tent, a candle lantern.  5. If using an Egyptian Sail canvas wall tent like my Eena wall tent or my Egyptian canvas Baker tent, put an elevated grid in the tent heater and use charcoal in place of wood.  Wood give the old heat boom and bust, with charcoal elevated an inch or two it is easy to add a few charcoals during the night and keep more even heat.  6. Never try to use wire or plastic stakes in frozen ground.  You will need to hammer them in and pry them out.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
I don't understand not being able to keep a down bag dry.  I used a Bean down bag on a two-week Alaska float trip for moose.  It rained 13 out of the 15 days we were on the river.  Never got my bag wet.

Have been using down bags for nearly 40 years, and can't ever remember getting them wet enough so they didn't keep me warm.  

You might check out what Bean's has to offer.  My Bean bag is more than 30 years old and still gets the job done in moderate temps.  I did upgrade a couple years ago with another bag of different manufacture for colder weather.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
R.E.I. Has some nice bags that may be in your price range. If it were to cost you a bit more, then don't hesitate since being cold and miserable is not worth the extra few bucks spent.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
Big difference if you are looking for a backpack wilderness sbag or a bag to use in a main camp. For a main camp you cam find cheap sleeping bag that cam fit you in any wheather if otherwise you need a sleeping bag to carro insidie your backpack $ 200-300 aren't enough for a good 15•.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I would 2d the military sleeping system.  I just picked one up for under $100 bucks.  Will take you down to -50. The lightweight piece and gortex cover will take you down to comfortable levels.  Compresses to a manageable size.

Bought my son one from Dick's Sporting Goods that is rated to +20, throw in a fleece blanket and it easily made him comfortable on a Scout camping trip when the temps were at zero.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
If not back packing, use blankets and layer.  I tent camped few years back, from truck.  Got down to 5 degrees, in a 20 degree bag, I went to the truck got a few blankets and slept like a baby

Offline DJ Hardy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Mummy bags are generally warmer. Especially for your feet.
The biggest secret to any temp.rating is having a good insulated pad underneath and if sleeping outside wind and rain protection.
I like wood bows. They fit my style and mentally simple self

Timberpoint Kraken  68" 40@28
Timberpoint Icarus.   64" 40@28
Black Widow PSA.    58" 38@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©