3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need some advice on a +15 degree sleeping bag  (Read 1440 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need some advice on a +15 degree sleeping bag
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Since this trip will be in September, in Colorado, the temps shouldn't be too low (   :pray:  ). Anyway, we will be truck camping. That said, I chose the Marmot Aspen Explorer 20* and I purchase a fleece liner to add warmth and layering. Hopefully that will be enough.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
it can be warm depending on where your at. I hunted up near Eastes Park in September and never got cold. We tented it. If you get to warm the liner may be enough, been there done that as well.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
I've had one of these for 10 years and never a problem.

https://colemans.com/shop/cold-weather-gear/us-gi-modular-sleep-system-mss/
Odds are with the prepared..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
it can be warm depending on where your at. I hunted up near Eastes Park in September and never got cold. We tented it. If you get to warm the liner may be enough, been there done that as well.
A guy at REI mentioned that he places a hot Nalgene bottle in the bottom of his sleeping bag when its too cold for his bag. He said the heat generated keeps the inside of the bag nice and warm.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Since this trip will be in September, in Colorado, the temps shouldn't be too low
One year on opening morning in August in Colorado at 8500' it was 18 degrees.  It can easily be colder than that.  It's a 50/50 that you will be snowed on too.  

A lot depends on the tent as well.  If truck camping you can go with something more comfortable.

Even with a marginal bag, the fleece blanket can seriously up the comfort level.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:

Since this trip will be in September, in Colorado, the temps shouldn't be too low
One year on opening morning in August in Colorado at 8500' it was 18 degrees.  It can easily be colder than that.  It's a 50/50 that you will be snowed on too.  

A lot depends on the tent as well.  If truck camping you can go with something more comfortable.

Even with a marginal bag, the fleece blanket can seriously up the comfort level. [/b]
I took the advice of JusAGuy and returned the 20* bag for a low quality 0* bag in hopes that it will cover ranges from 15* and up. Like you said, Monterey, I decided to go with something a little more comfy.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Dennis, I made a bad decision and took a cheaper bag with me to Alaska in 2013.  It made a huge difference for the worse, and I was miserable for 13 long nights on our float.  I took a -25° rated bag, bought at Dick's, and had to sleep fully clothed and with my coat on, though it was only down to about +10° at night.  I'd had it for years, but had never used it much.  I was convinced that even a cheap bag would work if it had that kind of rating, but I was wrong.  I kept a daily journal on that trip, and I forget how bad it was until I read that journal again.  I wish I could remember the brand of that bag.  It was fancy looking, a mummy bag, with pretty dense synthetic fill, someone had given it to me as a birthday present years earlier...  But we ended up helping some people that dumped their raft, and I gave that bag to them and just slept in my clothes and in an emergency bivy sack that last night.

I've done a lot of tent camping in Alaska, but that was the first and last time I'll ever go with a cheap bag.  The first thing I did the day I flew back to civilization was to take a shower and then go buy a good sleeping bag.  I bought a Mountain Hardware Lamina -20°.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Roman.  Now you've got me really reconsidering my decision... and that's a good thing! I really want to be warm and well rested. The thought of busting out $400 or more dollars for a sleeping bag just hard to do! Thanks for your help, everyone!

Offline fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
I have two down mummy sleeping bags that I use for car camping and backpacking. A Big Agnus Lost Ranger 15* bag that I'll be cold in at 25* and a Marmont Helium 15* bag I was warm in at 17*. I use a Big Agnus Insulated Air Core mattress for most trips. Its most important to use a good insulated  sleeping pad for your sleep system. I did not pay more than $150 for either bag, keep an eye open for sales/close outs. BTW I find the Helium bag too warm for most Colorado late September nights.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
I have a Marmont Helium bag also and it is awesome! Just over 2lbs and extremely warm, I tested mine in February when it was 20 degree's and stayed toasty!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
http://www.wiggys.com/   hard to beat for quality and price

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I have several military issued items. A Korean War vintage bag I's nothing more than a wool blanket sewn into a bag with hood-it works well in moderate temps.  I have the double bag with goretex cover-get serious about the cold with it, but problematic to carry.  I will not have to buy another bag!  have had down bags, liked them.  I use moving blankets from harbor freight -$7-as under paddin-even on a cot, and the pull one over me if I chill.  Stocking cap is in every bag I own and a poncho liner.  Poncho liners are gold-used them from SEAsia to Norway to Alaska while on active duty.  Never breath in your bag-it will freeze.  Use a towel lightly over your face    If you get chills, eat a candy bar to give the body immediate sugar to burn.   Do not skimp on a bag, it will be around as long as you care for it and may make an outdoor experience enjoyable
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Pearls of wisdom, Roadkill. Thanks!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
If you're just truck camping, as you say, forget the sleeping bag.  Just layer with blankets & comforters on top with good insulating foam pad (cheap thermarest ridgerest, for example) + futon or comfy mattress underneath.  Make sure your PJs include warm beanie or hoodie and you'll be fine.  Sleep in warm clothes.  Bring a little propane heater & crack a window if things get really chilly.

When I was in college, A buddy & I camped out in the open bed of a pickup for a pig hunt in early February.  We backed up to a tree, rigged a lean-to from a tarp over the pickup bed & fired up a propane heater to blow into the "tent."  Hokey as all get-out but we were warm.  I already had a 0-degree bag but he only had something more suited to summer temps.  We used a lot of propane on that trip but it was still cheaper for him than buying a new bag.  I've seen other ideas for alcohol space heaters or hand-warmer packs to add some heat to your setup.  Ideas are endless.

Backpacking is another beast & where you need to spend a bit to get something worthwhile.  But for car/truck camping, you probably have everything you'll need down to arctic conditions as long as you have the space in the vehicle to haul it + your intended quarry.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Good stuff, Yosemite!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  I don't agree with using the propane heat, or any other kind of burner when I'm sleeping.  Every year, a couple of hunters in this state die of asphyaxiation due to propane heaters. Sure, they're safe enough if properly ventilated, but folks don't always properly ventilate. Stuff happens.  I simply won't chance it. If I'm not awake, no artificial heat source.

Regarding temperatures you might expect, most folks camp at lower elevations, in valleys, creek bottoms, etc. enabling the best use of thermals, i.e., to hunt up in the morning, down in the evening.

Those same evening thermals bring a lot of cold air to low lying areas. Whether sleeping in the back of the truck or a tent nearby, it can get plenty cold at night, often below freezing, in September.  I recommend at least a 15 degree bag, mostly because they're seldom as warm as advertised.  Even a 0 degree bag.  You can always open it if you get too warm.  A liner, or blanket will help, of course.

Good luck.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks, Jerry!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Hmmmm.  I don't agree with using the propane heat, or any other kind of burner when I'm sleeping.  Every year, a couple of hunters in this state die of asphyaxiation due to propane heaters.
Here, here!  Lost a high school friend to deer hunting in a pickup w/ propane heater.  I might use a heater w/O2 sensor in a wall tent. Never in a p/up or smaller tent.

If you do your research,  the newer down is treated to remain more waterproof than ever in the past.  Don't shy away from it.

Truck camping?  Cost / type of sleeping bag not as important when you can bring a couple of extra blankets / comforters and not have to worry. Backpacking is different.

Hope this helps
homebru

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
Truck camping makes all the difference in the world in my bag decision. For that a Bean or Cabela's flannel canvas bag can't be beat in cost or warmth. I take a Lil buddy heater and fire it up when I get in the tent and then shut it off before going to sleep. Then in the morning do the same for getting dressed. We use a utility trailer for our sleeping quarters now. Once in Colorado in Sept. we were camped at 11,000' and a storm blew in with 10* temps with 60 MPH winds and 10" of snow. I've never been happier to have spent the money on the best gear I could afford. My buddies would have paid $1000 each for a better bag and tent (they had the Walmart summer types of both) on those 2 nights. They piled all of the clothes they weren't wearing on top of them while the top of the tent was beating the hell out of them all night from the wind. I slept like a baby! Just a reminder it can happen. I take a -20 Down/Thinsulate combo bag on all my hunts where I'll be away from our main camp. Rest or lack of is the one thing that (WILL) take you out of the game!  Just my .02
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Have used WIggy's bags for years and love them. Only downside is they are a little (small amount) bulkier and heavier than some more expensive models. They are super durable and comfortable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©