3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Insert removal  (Read 503 times)

Offline jvs9932

• Trad Bowhunter
Insert removal
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I used Insert Iron to put a few inserts in these Legacy 2018s so I could start bare shaft tuning them. I thought I'd read somewhere that heating the shaft by the insert would allow it to be removed. This does not seem to be the case. Doh! Is there a way to remove inserts that are glued in with Insert Iron? If not, I presume I should bare shaft tune with the inserts just slid into place and not glued?

Thanks!
-- Pain is part of life. Misery is optional.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Insert removal
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
You'll want hot melt glue with aluminums - Big Jim's or Ferr-L-Tite.  Easy to reheat and remove.  Sorry, but I have no experience with Insert Iron.  Just a WAG here, but if it is a super-glue type adhesive, you may try dropping some acetone, or plain old nail polish remover, down the shaft - if you have the bushing-type nocks.  Good luck!

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
Insert a field point and heat the field point, safer that way
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
I use Insert Iron on a lot of stuff.  It should be fairly easy to remove the insert from an aluminum shaft by screwing in a field point and heating the field point, as noted above.  Inserts can be removed from carbon shafts the same way, but you have to be careful not to overheat carbon shafts, which makes it a little more touchy.

Don't shoot your bare shafts without putting some glue on the insert, or you risk losing your insert and point in the target.  Just put a tiny dab of hot melt on the insert for this purpose.  Low temp hot melt can be removed by holding the end of the shaft in boiling water for 15 seconds or so.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
Or if you don't want to heat it, drop a drill bit in the shaft and shake it thoroughly towards the insert end. It sometime works for me... Cheers

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Drill bit works great as taxus says. Whip it towards the point end but just make sure you are pointing in a safe direction.

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
Rough Run,

Thanks for the tip on acetone to remove super glued insert!  (Head slap)
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
i used to wrap plastic wrap around insert to aid removal while bareshafting. That worked on straw bales ok. I still take my glue, DNA lamp and saw to range if bareshafting aluminum arrows. I like Big Jim's glue for this these days. Aluminums should only take a couple tries to get bareshaft.

Offline jvs9932

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 01:29:00 AM »
Thanks guys!!

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by taxus_bacata:
Or if you don't want to heat it, drop a drill bit in the shaft and shake it thoroughly towards the insert end. It sometime works for me... Cheers
I you can remove the nock and pour a few drops of acetone down the shaft to soak first.
Snap downward over grass or a towel to keep the inert form coming out and flying away...
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I've placed the insert on an electric stove burner to avoid an open flame near the shaft.  I recommend  checking the insert often to heat it only as much as necessary.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
All I have ever used on aluminum arrows is hot melt,easy too install and easy to remove.Never lost an insert using hot melt in aluminums.With carbons I do it differently.I have bought a few aluminums that had the inserts installed with some kind of epoxy,they can be a pain in removing the inserts.That is not necessary with aluminum arrows.

Offline jvs9932

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
After seeing a post about using the drill bit to nock out a HIT insert. I have done it with every type of glue with success. Though I did lose the drill bit somewhere in the garage on the last attempt.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©