3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fixed crawl nock height  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
Fixed crawl nock height
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Hey all,  having trouble getting my nock height set on my Bear takedown. Trying a fixed crawl for the first time,  my typical point on is 50yds, crawling roughly 3/4" below my nock gets me about a 40 yd point on. I shoot 3 under with a fairly low anchor(index finger to upper canine tooth,  index knuckle under cheekbone,  crotch of thumb hooks lower jaw) and am getting nock low readings when i move you 1" above square on the nock set. Shooting victory ripxv's  (slightly skinnier than Easton axis) and it just looks really strange to me.
Typical nock height is right at 9/16" above square with no fixed crawl. Shooting bare shafts group tuning,  the bareshaft impact about 1' high @ 40yds, paper tuning fletched shafts shows the same situation. Limbs are even tiller,  non adjustable.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fixed crawl nock height
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
1" high nock point is not unusual, that's about where my bows are. Only seeing a 10 yard decrease in point on with a 3/4" crawl does not sound normal, should be much more decrease. Also shooting off the shelf is more difficult to tune. The further you crawl the higher nock point needs to be. It can be a juggling act to get the right combination of crawl,nock height and spine.

What happens as you increase nock height more?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Yeah,  seems like not very much change in point on for the crawl distance. Don't know what I'm doing wrong honestly.

Moved nock up another twist,  finally got a nock high reading @ 1-1/16". Using a calf hair rest/ plate combo from BW, may try adding some leather strips under the rest to raise the contact point up an 1/8" or so.

Didn't know what an average nock height was for fixed crawl. I'll keep testing. Thanks

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Hi Chris.  You can reduce your point on significantly by raising your anchor if you can find a higher anchor that youre comfortable with.  I started playing with a fixed crawl after shooting split and actually found that i can get a point on at 20 yards with 3 under.  I do touch the cock feather to my nose which keeps my head down and tightens gaps.  The bottom of my top nock set is 3/4".  I do use two.
Sorry if i rambled on off topic, just wanted to pass on what is working for me.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Played around with higher anchors,  can't seem to get comfortable with any. I like having multiple references @ my current anchor.

Ramble on bud. Ramble on. No one's the same, everyone's experience is valid. I just wanna get this figured out well in advance of deer season. May need to get some longer shafts to help reduce my point on. Hopefully get some more bareshaft testing in today,  pending the rain and children.

Have a great Independence day everyone! Be safe, try to keep all your fingers where they're @ currently!

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Longer arrows and heavier arrows helped me, some people have like 40 yard point on not me, mine is like 25. I played with high anchors too wasnt comfortable, i would find a comfortable anchor and just play with arrow length and tip weight and nocking height. Have fun and dont be afraid to try new things.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©