3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1st longbow suggestions. Quiet and forgiving.  (Read 1575 times)

Offline gsurko

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st longbow suggestions. Quiet and forgiving.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
If you're looking for forgiveness , that's Gods job not a boyers.
Political correctness offends me

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
I've bought and sold quite a few. Nearly all shot well, but the keeper I came back to after owning a righty and switching to left hand is the Mohawk Sparrowhawk. Mild reflex/deflex that strings up as a straight "D" type bow, but has a bit more "zip" than any other "D" type longbow I've ever shot. Mine has a locator grip that doesn't feel like too much of a change from my mid/low wrist recurves. Price is right in the middle of the pack, delivery time very quick and Vince is very easy to work with.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies.

I am going to borrow a friend's 68" Great Plains longbow and see how we get along.

Can any of you define or illustrate a "locator" grip???

Thanks a bunch again, Skychief

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
From left to right, 1. straight asymmetrical straight, mine, 2. locator, mine, 3. very slight dish Schulz.    

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Great post pavan. Much appreciated.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Toelke Whip. I strongly feel you won't easily find another bow as quiet, smooth, and forgiving.....unless you bring up the Pika.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Yes on the Toelke Whip as said.
I won't ever sell my Whip Classic Apache 66" 45@28 and it's fast & quiet with NO stack.
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
I am a fan of Hill style bows. Lots of good builders out there. You may want to look for a used bow to start with. When you find what you really like, then consider putting money into "the" bow. In some ways the journey is more fun than the end result - if you ever really find the end of the road on great longbows.
Sam

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
For your qualities of quiet, stable and forgiving, I would recommend a Toelke Whip, Robertson Stykbow and Liberty Contender.  I'm currently shooting a Whip and it is tops at those qualities.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
If you want forgiving, that will be due to a combination of factors.  Some of the more important ones being the mass of the bow, the stability of the limbs, how well the tiller suits your release, and a few others.  They will also affect how dead in the hand they are.  I would consider a 3 piece td longbow for some of those reasons.  Especially coming g from a recurve.  The Whip is a great bow, and the longer models are probably a little more stable, but I wouldn't characterize them as overly forgiving, personally.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
But of course that is only my opinion.  I have shot a couple of the whips, and they are nice quiet bows.

Offline Obe-Wan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
Being someone who loves longbows, but shoots Recurves better, I'll offer you this. I believe the physical weight of the bow has as much bearing on the suitability as any other factor. If it's a trad long bow, ie Hill bow or ASL it's going to be light.

So twitchy may mean it's short, or it may mean it's too light. I've had a couple of Toelke Super D's, and some custom ASL's that are fantastic bows, but they are very light. I found this detrimental to my accuracy.

I lean towards R/D longbows with either phenolic in the Riser, or hybrid styles that have wider, flatter limbs and more mass in the Riser than traditional ASL's. You also get centre shot shelves on a lot of bows of this style.

Dependant on your budget, and particularly if you're coming from Recurves, I'd recommend either the Tomohawk longbows or a Black Widow PL.

Take this with a grain of salt, it's just my opinion and experiences.

Good luck with you're search.

Cheers, Scott.
Bear Cheyenne #45
Black Widow PTF III #55

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
The whole "forgiving" thing gets me wondering sometimes.

You are going to get away with more with a longbow than a thinner limbed recurve. But, a bad grip and release is a form problem that will affect the shot regardless of what bow you have in your hand.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
True, but slight form deviations, in particularly regarding release, are much more obvious with bows that are light in physical weight, or extremely short.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
Update: having tested 4 bows of my friends, I've narrowed my search to a mild r/d bow.

I'm going to start a new thread about the particulars of what I'm searching for.  I hope you all will give advice on it.

I really appreciate your help.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I draw 26" and I am relatively new to trad archery. I have a 54" Toelke Pika. The bow is so quiet I only hear the arrow hit the target. No hand shock and the bow hits where I am looking. It is insanely forgiving. A 56" Pika would be fine for a 29" draw, but the Whip might be even better if you want to stay over 60".
USMC 1997-2005

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Before you jump on the Bear Montana look at 7 Lakes Archery and their North American Hardwood bow.  About the same price but you get to order it custom built.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I have a 64" Holm Made Goshawk from Chad Holm that is an excellent choice.  I have owned other longbows, but none better for handling and quietness.  I think he makes it in a 66" length also.  Chad is great to deal with.

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by PICKNGRIN:
I have a 64" Holm Made Goshawk from Chad Holm that is an excellent choice.  I have owned other longbows, but none better for handling and quietness.  I think he makes it in a 66" length also.  Chad is great to deal with.
I have this same bow awesome shooting bow.
Here are a few things about me:

I enjoy Hunting, fishing, raising goats, biking and kayaking. Love living life with my wife and 4 kids out in the country.

Here are my bows and such:
~ Black Widow Bows 66" PLX Longbow 47.5@31"  161fps with 600gr arrow
~ St. Patrick Lake Longbows (SwiftStyk ~ 64" (50#@31" = 161fps 600gr arrow)
~ Hitman Traditional Stykbows #1 (Recurve) (63" 52lb @31") ~

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
Bottom line is right now you don't know what you want, and you don't know enough about what type LB you will end up liking simply because right now you just don't know enough, and you will need experience and several bows probably to find your way. You are going to have to do this on your own because only you will know what is right. I was a big BW LB shooter and happened to buy a Bear  Montana off the big auction site for $125. I had planned on flipping it but it turned out I loved the way it shot and I'd buy another if the deal was right because it is just a fun bow. I hated that I ever sold it, but I now shoot a Shrew T/D Carbon CH as it is best for me. I'm not going to tell you that the Shrew or any other bow is "the one" because you'll have to find that out for yourself. I will say that I'd buy a Bear Montana because it is a good shooting stable bow for you to develop on and then go from there maybe based on what you learn about your style and preferences. It's a journey, you pick the starting point. Take every opportunity to visit the big shoots that have a lot f vendors, talk to them and shoot their bows. Don't go randomly plunking down big sums of $ until you have educated yourself.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©