3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why did my arrow take a right??  (Read 665 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
why did my arrow take a right??
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
i shoot a 35# bow left handed with 600  gold tip warrior arrows with 125 field tip. i was 20 yards from a 3d target and my arrow decided to take a right and go AROUND the target missing the whole thing. whats up with that?? lol (newbie)

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: why did my arrow take a right??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Did this happen one time or multiple times?
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
2 times so far. the 2nd time was the most severe missing the whole target...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Did you actually get it all the way back ?  Did you pluck badly ?  Have someone watch.  I had a meltdown one day at a recent shoot.  Plucking badly.  Arrows did the same as you described.

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
my form and release isn't the best at this point so i may have plucked the string. i think I'm having a learning CURVE literally lol

Online Miner49er

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
I've been there and done that,and it took me a little while to figure it out.I think what you did was you lost back tension to the point of collapse.If your arrow looked like it was leaving the country,then that is probably what happened.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Occasional or even frequent left and right misses are ALMOST always form and execution, not tuning as many would have you believe.  Post a video on the "Shooter's FORM Forum" of you shooting and I think we may be able to help.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
I shoot about 38#s and have found that i need 700 spine to get things tuned, otherwise as a fellow left hander my arrows show stiff by impacting right.  When you do tune you can add more point weight to evaluate.
That aside, i agree with Arne that developing good form is essential.  Tuning can be a futile exercise until you have consistent form.  I somethimes collapse big time, but severely to the left.  This happens when my mind wanders and i stop pulling/ pushing.  Your 38# should be a great bow to develop solid form.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Occasional or even frequent left and right misses are ALMOST always form and execution, not tuning as many would have you believe.  Post a video on the "Shooter's FORM Forum" of you shooting and I think we may be able to help.

Arne
BINGO....smack dead on the nails head!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I agree that it is most likely a form issue. Bad tuning would be a consistent problem. I sometimes pluck the string and I experience the same problem of shooting to the right (right handed shooter). Improved back tension lessens the problem immensely.
Sam

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
stiff arrow hitting riser and bouncing combined with an pluck (fingers/hand moving away from face at release) I need to add a 175 grn tip with full length with 600 at 42 pounds.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Kromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
Best advice I can give, regardless of the issue, listen to Arne! If he told me to shoot upside down and backwards I'd try it and it would probably work, as long as I remember to engage my back...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
Arrow is borderline stiff, which would go right for a left hand shooter.  

However, I suspect it's a form issue and that you just plucked the string big time. Usually, for a lefty, a pluck to the left with the string hand is accompanied by a pull to the right with the bow hand. One or both cause the arrow to veer right, sometimes a lot.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
curious how long your arrow is and if its bare shaft or fletched? Also would be helpful to know your draw length. Need to approach 1 thing at a time starting with properly spined arrows. Which I suspect could be the problem
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
35#@27-28
full length gold tip warriors
600 spine
125 tip

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
600 is the correct arrow in my opinion. I would should bare shaft at about 12yds and cut a 1/4 in at a time until it shoots closer to center and a straiter knock impact. I think a full length may be under spined. if you haven't already done so. At least if you know your arrow is correct you can move on to other solutions. I have had poorly spined bare shafts literally shoot around a corner. Back when I was learning the process. I'm by know means an expert just a suggestion
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
What spine your bow will need has very much to do with how the bow is cut to center, your form and your draw length.  Listen to your bow rather than opinions.  Work on your form and then attempt to tune.  You may find that you have what you need arrowwise.  If not you can always try more point weight or weaker spine for a more balanced combo.

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
It could be something as simple as the arrow pulling away from the window and moving slightly right on the shelf. For a lefty, this could be the cause of the once in a while far miss to the right.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©