3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice hunting with 35# for whitetail  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
advice hunting with 35# for whitetail
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
can i get some advice on arrow set up and range on hunting whitetail with a 35# bow.... thanks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice hunting with 35# for whitetail
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
My point of view only.  Get as close as you can.  Make sure you get perfect arrow flight at that range.  Sharp cut on contact heads.   Know where to put them and do so.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
Chuck just knocked it out the park get up close and fling one straight through the lungs ... I practice a bit first though if your handle reflects your ability
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
man that was a cheap shot.... lol How close are we talking about?

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
Is that a legal bow weight?  I do not know in Alabama but some states have a minimum bow weight.  That is light bow for anything other than a perfect shot.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:48:00 AM »
Less than 20 yards, preferably 12-15.  AL's min used to be 35# for deer.  Buy a 58" actual-string-length low-stretch string for it.  Add wool puffs. Try about 8.25" +/- 0.5" inch brace ht.  And keep an eye on the string loops being cut/frayed at the limb tip's string grooves.  

Keep arrows long, pull your aluminum inserts out and replace with GTip 100-grain brass inserts or   hot-melt a 100-gr .243 (6mm) bullet behind the alum insert. Try 100, 125 and 145gr field tips for practice and see if flight isn't better.  

If tunes well, use 2 or 4 blade similar-wt Magnus Stinger-type BH.

What ChuckC said...
CoilSpring

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
Here in Pennsylvania we have a minimum draw weight of 40lb required to hunt witb
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Legal in IN.
SWA Spyder

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
Super sharp Broadheads, and be very selective I your shots. You have little Margi for error so don't take anything but a perfect shot...angle, distance, the deer's alertness, and that feeling when you get ready to shoot that its the right shot. No kinda maybe take the shot!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
35# is light, but it will do the job. As already noted, tune well and shoot accurately with a very sharp broad head. Come to think of it, that is true with any bow. Good luck and happy hunting.
Sam

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
I shoot around 40#s and have good success with cut on contact 2 blades, including magnus stingers and grizzlies.  I was shooting an arrow just under 500 grains, but after 20 yards i found it dropped like a rock.  My new set up is heritage 75 (.670 spine) w 125 up front for 430 grains total.  I believe this will work fine and give me more forgiveness if i do misjudge distance it has made a big difference in my 3d scores.  That said if you do limit distances to under 20 or better yet 15 you will be well served with more weight.  A well tuned arrow is absolutely key no matter what you shoot.  A poorly tuned arrow will give poor penetration.  Best of luck this year.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Shot..... Although I have days of glory ( shooting)I also have very down days.  Because of that I generally pass on all but slam dunk shots anymore.  I mean slam....dunk.  I generally kill deer, from the ground, at less than ten yards.  You can do it, but it takes work, and some areas of the country are a bit tougher.  Hunting is about more than just shooting.

A bit more about that " perfect flight".   Most are aware that the arrow goes thru paradox when we shoot, that is, for whatever reason, it bends back and forth as it goes past the bow handle.  IF tuned well, it does this very briefly then straightens out.  Feathers assist, but bare shaft tuning shows that they are not required for this to happen ( with field points...).  Good tuning is what makes it happen.

If you think it thru.... an arrow going back and forth loses a ton of its energy screwing around, while one going straight does not.  You don't have energy to spare with your chosen outfit.  If your arrows are wild at 5 yards, but good by ten yards, don't shoot at 5 yards.  Easy as pie.

And practice shooting where you look and also where exactly you should be looking ( there is lots of help here in posts).

You can do it, but you should put some effort into it so it goes well for you.
Chuck

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Curious out of all who commented who has killed deer with #35s?...or even less.

Not trying to be rude but all these comments are the same in the same questions asked about low bow weights, if you searched in previous threads they are all the same.

What kind of bow are you using? Reason I ask is because a self bow would change my shooting range. I've used and had great success with zwicky Eskimo lights 110gr. I'd stay away from 4 blades I've done 3 blades but prefer 2 blade common sense and experience tells me it penetrates more. I do not like grizzlys from my own experience not just cause I prefer others actual EXPERIENCE. I shoot past 20 on deer in that poundage range. I treat it like any other bow. But I stay away from steep quarting shots. And I don't now shoot a high FOC balance is keys to much of a good thing becomes bad.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
You aren't being rude.  We all need different views.  

You can kill a deer at 100 yards with any bow that will get an arrow there. 200 yards also.  

My perspective, only mine, is that just because I CAN does not mean that I wish to push it and try.  

The comments so far are, again my perspective only, right-on with ANY bow of ANY weight, but especially when pushing the envelope a tad.

Please expound on your experience with the Grizzlies.  I wanna hear so I have more experience.  Thanks
ChuckC

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Just to clarify a post above about the legal minimum bow weight here in Pennsylvania...

§ 141.43. Deer.

(a)  Archery deer season.  

(i)   A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch and may not exceed 3.25 inches in length.

I know of a few guys here in PA who have killed deer with 35-40lb set ups.  Some have been complete pass throughs.

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
I believe draw weight varies with each state, don't think I've ever seen a legal weight of less than 35lb?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
Shot selection (be very picky) optimum shot placement and sharp broadheads with a heavy gpp arrow would be the requirements IMO.

My son cleanly killed a decent sized buck with a 35# bow and only 24" draw with a Muzzy head when he was 13.

Another local 12 year old girl took not one but two deer in a single sit with a 27# bow, short draw of course and Thunderheads years ago.  I don't know more details than that but I saw the pictures with a very happy young hunter.

I have hunted with my grandfather's Bear recurve for sentimental reasons...it's 35# at 29".  I have not taken a deer with it yet, but use skinny carbons, wicked sharp STOS 2 blades and heavy arrows at over 500 grains.  It's a short range set up but it is tuned to perfection.  I will eventually take a deer with it for grandpa, and I am confident I will get 2 holes when I do.

I only hunt with this set up from the ground as well, no downward shots.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
A 38 pound at 26" draw with a 430 grain cedar arrow and a Zwicky Eskimo will shoot an arrow through an Iowa whitetail, my wife.  I have seen it 8 times myself. 9 if you count the time that I shot a very large doe with a 37 pound at my draw Hill Cheetah.  The arrow, get it flying straight behind the broadhead and shoot a two blade head that is no bigger than a Bear or Eskimo, if in doubt, go to a Hunter's Head, I am not sure they even slow down going through a deer.  A 28 inch draw at 35 will be more power than I or my wife has at 26 with a 37 or 38 pound bow.  You do not need to get crazy with arrow weight, something like a cedar arrow or an 1816 will do the trick.  If you need to leave an arrow long if it is a carbon so be it. Personally, I dislike arrows that are more than an inch beyond the draw length.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
ChuckC I dont like the blunt head of the grizzly, and I used them with bow weights from 40 to 55 pounds and at shot angles the blunt kicked bad and didn't penetrate as well as it should have even saw it happen in straight ground broadside shots.  Something my father and I both had experience with, they work yes but what I learned from my own experience, I have alot better luck with other heads. Anything to higher my % of a quick kill that's what I want and the grizzly didn't compare to other heads I use.

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm shooting a samick sage right now. i could buy some 45# limbs before hunting season. I've had a shoulder surgery and neck surgery from years of whitewater kayaking back in 2011 and i don't think i can go much higher than 45#. my shoulder/neck hurts after i shoot my 35# bow for an hour. and the pain lingers for days.  kinda worries me. I'm used to just dealing with the pain though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©