3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How early into stand  (Read 1701 times)

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
How early into stand
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
I was interested how early before sunrise you like to climb into your stand?  

I've always liked to error in being there early. Sometimes an hour or more before shooting light.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How early into stand
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Depends on the hunting location for me and where the people pressure & deer locations are at time of entry. Plus, it depends on weather and if it's 0 degrees or windy/rainy etc... General time frame is to be settled and ready 30 minutes before shooting light. When I travel distance for public land with hang & hunt that still makes for a pretty early wake up...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
Since I can't shoot a critter before legal shooting time, I enter the woods so I get to my stand a few minutes before legal shooting time. With the twilight of dawn, I can see enough to be much more quiet approaching my stand than I can in total darkness.  

I usually have a 30-minute or longer walk into my stand in big woods, usually with no roads or trails to follow. Though I might start my trek in the dark, I don't see the value in stumbling around in the dark all the way to my stand, spooking critters as I go to arrive way before daylight (been there, done that). You might get does and fawns to come around after being spooked, but a mature buck won't be back.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
Orion does exactly the way I do
" Live long and prosper "

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
I usually get into my stands 20-30 minutes before legal shooting time.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:44:00 AM »
About a hour before but all I walk through are open fields
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
I want to be strapped in, equipment set, and seated at least 30 minutes before legal shooting time.

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
Im with Orion and Brittman.  Twice I have snuck in to my spot (rifle hunting) and kicked leaves aside at the base of a tree only to have a buck come to investigate (2 dead bucks).  Still hunt into your stand (strap on) and sneak up into it.  Climbing stands have special consideration depending on how close you believe the critters will be at the time of climbing.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by BRITTMAN:
Orion does exactly the way I do
Yep.
SWA Spyder

Offline Kromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
I enjoy watching and listening to the woods wake up. Especially during rifle season, I'm settled in my stand at least an hour before legal time. Then when the neighbors start up their ATVs 10 minutes after light, I really enjoy hearing hooves pounding my way!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I also get In stand usually a hour before light. I like the woods to settle down from my walk in , but that's a hour more my scent has to spread.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
I try to get in the stand an hour before light. This lets the woods settle down from my walk in and allows me to pull the bow several times to loosen up.
Sam

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
30/45 minutes? Like said earlier post if it is freezing cold? Might be later? The older I get the more sensitive I become to adverse weather!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Here in Illinois 30 minutes before sunrise is legal bow time.  No matter if hunting in tree or ground, I like to be set up and ready by that time.  How long it takes me to get there, depends on one thing my route to hunting area, by wind.  I agree one should not be bumbling around at dark, and a good low red light head lamp works, to be as quiet as possible.  Let me give you all a tip, I learned years ago, though am sure others know is as well.  If you cann't get to your stand quietly in the morning, you better get in a lot earlier.  If public ground, take some time and study where others are hunting, and use it to your advantage.  We all know deer do not seem to be detered by white light, but keep in mind with turkey's in your area, roosting, they do and their movement, can affect the behavior of a mature deer (seen it).

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Oh, one more thing, sorry.  I am sure many of us learned this the hard way.  If you are running late, never force rush into an area.  From my experience, better to wait an hour then stalk in.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
For me it depends on the time of year and what I'm hunting. Early season the deer seem to move later in the am and in the evenings to food sources. I usually get out around 8-830 and hunt til lunch or it gets to hot and I go back to camp. Once the weather starts cooling off and the acorns start falling I try to get out at daylight. Rut I just hunt as much as I can cause you just never know. My two biggest bucks were killed at 930 am and 430 pm tho. Am was running with a doe and pm was checking a food plot for a doe but found me instead.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I hunt a lot of public land. In general, I'm in a minimum of 1 hour before daylight. I have one area in particular that I call my buck honey hole that I have to be in an hour and half to two hours before daylight.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Usually 30-60 mins...unless it's a full moon.  Then I'll sleep in and go in mid-morning.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
A half hour there abouts before day light.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
After breakfast
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©