3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newfoundland Outfitter recommendation  (Read 505 times)

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Newfoundland Outfitter recommendation
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:02:00 AM »
TGers,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good outfitter to hunt moose in Newfoundland, Canada.  I'm sure someone here has recently  hunted with one that understands the needs of a Trad hunt.

Thanks,

Mike

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newfoundland Outfitter recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
If I were you I would use Bowhunting Safari Consultants. They make sure they only use outfitters that are very familiar with bowhunters. I've had a few friends go to Newfoundland with different outfitters and they were promised they knew all about bowhunting and they had horror shows and basically wasted $6,000.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Mint, that may be true now, but a few years ago that outfitter sent two of my friends on a hunt in Africa.  When they arrived the outfitter asked where their guns were.  They had not worked with bow hunters before and laughed when my friends told them the distance they were willing to shoot.  Bad experience for them after laying out a lot of money.  The outfitter had owned that concession for a few years and someone dropped the ball big time. As the former owner had served bowhunters but not the one they were dealing with.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Mike,

I used Portland Creek Outfitters in both 2013 and 2014 and was successful both times.  In 2013 I killed a cow on the last day of the hunt after having a bull at 8-10 yards the day before and had no shot.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132598;p=1#000000

In 2014 I went again and took three buddies with me.  Here is that story:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=140987;p=1#000000

If I go again would I use the same outfitter - yes.

While it might give you the warm and fuzzies, going with an outfitter that "specializes" in bow hunters is no guarantee that you will realize your dream.  IMO pick an outfitter that offers fly-in camps so you are away from any roads.  Ask them what their success rate has been 'In the camp you will be going to'.  Also understand that you will likely have to rely on your own skill to close the deal.  All guides can call a moose into 100-150 yds but you may need to take control of the situation to get into your comfort range.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions either here or by PM.

Pete
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Hey Dave,
Did BSC make good with your friends on that hunt? I know of a person that had the same thing happen to them and BSC did the right thing by them. They were very happy with the resolution.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
Contact Tony Ruggeri at Trophy Seekers Worldwide.  He has a fantastic moose hunt there.  I have hunted with him many times and he is a stand up guy.  

Tell him I sent you.

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 06:43:00 AM »
Thank you all, I appreciate it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:
Hey Dave,
Did BSC make good with your friends on that hunt? I know of a person that had the same thing happen to them and BSC did the right thing by them. They were very happy with the resolution.
No they did not.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
I hunted with Dean McDonald of Moose Valley Outfitters. It was back in 1998, but it was the best hunt of my life.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I hunted with Rays Hunting and Fishing,was very pleased and they welcome and love stick and string hunters like us.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Tuckamore Lodge. You won't be disappointed.  I've been there twice.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
I'll be hunting with Michel Breton in September. He was recommended by the folks at Tuckamore Lodge, as Tuckamore was fully booked.

Michel teaches workshops on moose hunting in Ontario/Quebec and hunts with recurve and compound. You can find his videos on Youtube--warning they are all in French!
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
I'll second Tuckamore Lodge. First class outfit. I have hunted with Moose Valley also. Dean runs a good camp, but I didn't see the larger number of game that I saw with Tuckamore.

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks again to all of you for your input, I appreciate it.  I'm also weighing Alberta vs Newfoundland. I have heard they are similar in the rate of success for bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©