3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My bow delaminated on the wall  (Read 544 times)

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
My bow delaminated on the wall
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
https://goo.gl/photos/t1bofPdw4sonpzqM7
 https://goo.gl/photos/pDcXeFLoJ3nrjgcW6

I have owned this bow for at least 8 years.  My now 17 year old son was just getting the hang of it.  Griffin has been shooting with me since he was 6.

Just felt the need to share a tragic event
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My bow delaminated on the wall
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
For the first time in my life I had one delaminate last week.   I was shooting and heard a slight noise but could not see that anything was wrong.  The next day I drew it and could tell it was way to light and then saw that the lower limb had delaminated.
I will no longer leave mine strung.  Lots of people will say it makes no difference but I would rather err on the side of caution.
In my case I was happy to find that even though it was six years old and out of warranty that Three Rivers Archery agreed to sell me a set of new limbs for half price.   I was impressed and appreciative.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
My favorite Bear de-lammed at full draw several years back. Sucks but it happens. Time to go shopping.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
BUMMER!   :dunno:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Ouch,sorry for your loss.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Bummer.  No doubt it was due to the fast flite string.  Just kidding, of course.

I noticed in one of the pix that the brace height was quite high.  Certainly shootable that way, but does put extra strain on the limbs.  Might it have been on the wall in a place where sunlight coming through a window may have hit it?  Heat and tension have taken their toll on a lot of bows.

Of course, its time may just have come.  Unfortunate to lose a bow you like.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Always a shame when something like this happens. Seems like it never happens to the other guy or a item you have not used forever.
 But had an old guy tell me years ago "Bows an'it forever" they are meant to break just by the nature of being a bow.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Bummer, to be sure. Better that it happened on the wall though, then in your hand or his.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
The bow lasted about 50 years.  Maybe it just got tired.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
The bow lasted about 50 years.  Maybe it just got tired.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

The pic looks like the brace height was high but its just the deformation of the broken bow hanging.

Bow stored hanging in my bedroom,  Night shifter here, so no sunlight anywhere.

I agree,  50 year old bow did right by me,  and it probably just got tired.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
OK,  I am now confused.  I have not been on tradgang for a few years.  I cant seem to find the buy sell trade forum.  How do I shop around for a bow for my boy now?

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
You have to pay 30bucks to be a conrtributing member and then you can get to see the classifieds
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Gillispie:
OK,  I am now confused.  I have not been on tradgang for a few years.  I cant seem to find the buy sell trade forum.  How do I shop around for a bow for my boy now?
Go see Don Ward at Eagle's Flight Archery in Mebane. He has many used bows of good quality ready to be shot once again. He has an indoor range in his shop. Shoot what you are shopping for.  ;)

You are welcome to come to Barefoot Traditional Archers in Burlington. We have a shoot scheduled for the third Sat in August. We are on the book of faces to announce our shoots.

PM me if you want to know more about Barefoot or The CTA, Carolina Traditional Archers in Conover. They host a member shoot on the first Saturday of each month. First time visitors shoot and eat for free.

You are about half way between either club. Sometimes there are members with extra bows. Either way, I would hope to see you at both places  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Better it hatch on the wall than in his hand at full draw.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
That is why I never leave any of my bows strung. I know this can happen at any time, but I'm just uncomfortable leaving them strung. I am sorry that this happened to you. Thankfully, nobody was injured, which could have happened if you were shooting when it let go.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©