3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Georgia bear hunting  (Read 385 times)

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
Georgia bear hunting
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Any of you folks in Georgia hunting bears? (Specifically the north zone) I have been doing some research on bear hunting in the north zone but I can't seem to find specifics on what Georgia considereds bait. Can you use scents? Is something along the lines of a honey burn legal? I would assume not but I don't know? Anyone ever tried to call them using a predator call? Any help straightening the details out would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to talk my self into buying a license and hunting some this year. I live in mobile Alabama so it wouldn't be to terribly far and the license is only $295 if I'm reading the info right and you can take two bears from the north zone and kill up to 10 deer. Not a bad deal at all for mountain bear adventure that lasts all year long.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline Tee Bone

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Georgia bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
I don't think the scent thing is legal, I wouldnt even worry with it. There is nothing they like better than white oak acorns.  Looks like this year is going to be a high mast year.  On these years it takes boot leather and some luck to kill a bear.  I have used predator calls but only one time successfully.  Tons of land to hunt on and the bear population is good. The best places for bear have very few deer, but there is a few.  I thinks its a no brainer, cheap license, 2 bears, more beautiful land than you could hunt in a lifetime.  Come on over!

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Well I sure appreciate the welcome! Boot leather I've got, but I can't say the same for luck. I'm looking towards hunting the chattahooche national forest mainly because I prefer to hike and camp as I go rather than a big base camp. Any idea what elevation the white oaks grow? Any advice is always appreciated. I get a lot of time off from work but the more you can learn ahead of time and plan the shorter the learning curve in the woods.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Tee Bone

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
White oaks grow at every elevation, some years the mast is better at certain elevations. I haven't been very high yet but they appear to be good up to 2400.  Season opens September 9th, that should be before the acorns are falling but the bears will be climbing the trees to get them.  This makes it a little easier to find them.

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
Good to know, thank you for the information. I won't be able to make the season opener. I will be in Wyoming chasing mule deer, but hopefully I can plan a trip sometime early season while the acorns are still falling.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
This year is shaping up to be just like the last two. Massive white oak crop at all elevations which will make the bear hunting very tough. We are finding loaded white oaks from 1,200 feet up past 3,300.  If you don't mind burning shoe leather and you know how to read sign, it will be tough but not impossible.  On the shoe leather thing...bring a couple pairs of shoes.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
I was up yesterday. Seen four bears and got bluff charged a bit by a sow with two cubs up a tree. Every single white oak I saw from 2400-4200 was loaded. Gonna be tough but there are particular trees they will prefer. Believe I found one yesterday and I know where a few more might be. There is a pretty good chance acorns will already be falling opening weekend. That doesnt mean they wont climb still but its different when acorns are already on the ground. There will be reds and chestnuts pouring down by then.  Water and cover will be more important than usual. Pretty sure my crew will find a few. Just hope it isnt sows with cubs. I have a sow curse.

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm not afraid to burn up a pair of boots, are you allowed to camp out in the national forest during hunting season? I've seen plenty of information on the different WMAS and what they have to offer but I can't seem to find much info on the national forest. The website is hard to navigate and I'm not getting much information from it. And thank you all for the great information. Even if it's a tough year you've got to learn somehow. If I can find a place to chase bears for that cheap this close to home it's worth every penny. And I will be ready for when the hunting is good. I can only afford to go out west every other year so hunting the mountains in Georgia is absolutely perfect for me.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
We have more bears per square mile than most of canada I think. I could set a bait anywhere that I hunt and it would be hit the first night

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
That's all great information I appreciate everyone's input. I think it will be a fun trip even if I don't get a chance at a bear, looks like beautiful country.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©