3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple quick questions if y'all don't mind.  (Read 452 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple quick questions if y'all don't mind.
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
Well, I messed up. I tried to make my own archery target out of an old basketball and some expanding foam. I wasted two cans and it never worked. I'll skip it and save up for a better target.
Ya'll ever do that?

Main question.
I got me a section of wool that I'll be turning into a haversack/possibles bag for hunting and camping. I was wondering, the shoulder strap. Sides or back?
I can make it either flat and put the straps on the back or I can add sides to it and put the straps there. What have y'all experienced?
I'll be making the haversack probably around 11" wide by 10" tall with a button closure to keep it quiet.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple quick questions if y'all don't mind.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
Look at some black powder sites and look at some of those haversacks.  I am guessing, but your shoulder straps on the sides might be better if carrying weight.  Sewn on the back it may tend to lean away from the body, but again, I guess based on my issued map case from my time inthe service
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
Roadkill got it right, in my experience - straps on the side are stronger for carrying more weight.  I have carried a leather possibles bag for years, for all kinds of hunting.  The back is more streamlined, but the sides are stronger.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
2 more points that I have found --
Narrow straps can cut into your shoulders, and tend to slide around more.  And, try 2 buttons at 1/3 increments, instead of 1 single button - you can leave one open, for a tall bottle or anything that doesn't fit perfectly, while keeping the other side closed for security of smaller items.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
I have an Asbell haversack with straps on the ends and a military style bag with strap on the back side. I like the strap on the ends better. I would prefer a leather shoulder strap, though.
Sam

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
I prefer straps on the sides. If you attach them angling towards the back a bit the bag will hang better. Also I like to add a bit of leather or piece of the bag material on the inside to help strengthen the attachment.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
That's about what I figured. My plan on them is simple. I'm going to cut the sides into a teardrop shape. The widest point would be no more that 4-5" tapering to 1" at the mouth. Single pocket. The body would be a single piece of wool about 10-11" wide. The lid I was thinking of cutting it triangularly but two buttons would be better and I do have a lot of OD green military buttons.
I want this large enough for me to fit my 14cm zebra pot, a day or two's worth of foodstuffs, map, notepad and pencil. Everything else as far as my hunting kit either goes in my quiver or on my belt, tomahawk, knife, canteen. I don't need much else. I usually stuff a wool blanket into the back of my belt. Oh, I have a WWII pistol belt and suspenders that I take hunting. I can fit a lot on that.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Got my haversack nearly complete. What I ended up doing was cutting the main body 30"X12" and the sides are rectangular at 2"x11. I used some upholstery thread to sew it together and it came out alright for being my first sewing project in 15 years. I've got a 1" shoulder strap cut very long. Once I get the position and length where I want it I'll widen the shoulder part to spread the weight if I feel it's needed. I did load it with most of the gear I normally take minus food but I could still see me carrying that for hours on end as is.
I could not for the life of me figure out how to sew button holes so I took it to a seamstress and asked her to sew some on for me. I left some of my buttons with her so that she'd be able to fit it properly. I wasted a 4"X30" length of material trying to figure out buttonholes. I must have tried thirty times or better.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©