3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: overshooting  (Read 997 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
overshooting
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
how do u guys know if your overshooting? is there such thing? im trying to correct a bunch of stuff and i think im just worn out
aim small miss small

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: overshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Overshooting ???
Do you mean Shooting too​ high ?
Or Shooting too much ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Kyle,
Seriously...slow down buddy!  

Practice and learn the fundamentals shared with you recently by many here on TG.

You cannot become an expert trad archer in a couple days.  I've been at it since 1969 and I'm still learning.

Your goal should be to put into and practice and thoroughly learn proper form and technique.  

Over weeks and months you will start to see/feel improvement.  Take advantage of teachings in the Shooting Fourm.  And shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

One thing at a time.....eventually you'll be helping the next guy by answering questions and sharing with him the long path towards excellence.

You gotta do the time!

:archer:

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
for 2 weeks i was shooting great i could not miss, i dont know what i am doing wrong this week, i dont know if im shooting too much and getting worn out trying to solve it or what, biggest issue is my release has went down the drain even on a heavier bow
aim small miss small

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
That's probably what it is take a few days off and clear your mind
" Live long and prosper "

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
I shoot Hill style and I work on one aspect of form, up close, at a time.  I, quite often go out and do ten shot on the draw shape and tempo. Then the anchor, and hold a bit, then the anchor and release with just a tightening at anchor.  Then take a few shots that include the whole shot, until things feel automatic.  When I do this form stuff I aim at nothing and never judge my accuracy, only the rhythm and feel and control. If you start judging your accuracy while you work on form, your brain will go splash.  Good form is best when it is almost automatic.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
my release needs the help
aim small miss small

Online Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
A little off time always helps. Another trick I learned from a well seasoned archer when I first started was to get a light weight Left handed bow (I shoot right handed)and shoot that for a day or two. Forces me to concentrate and helps get the mind straight. Seems to help and keeps it fun. good luck and keep it fun!
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
for 2 weeks i was shooting great i could not miss, i dont know what i am doing wrong this week, i dont know if im shooting too much and getting worn out trying to solve it or what, biggest issue is my release has went down the drain even on a heavier bow
I don't know that this ever really stops. From what I see and hear I think we all go through "slumps" where our shooting is not where we'd like it to be. I know I do!!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
Rod Jenkins often says, " if shooting more arrows made you a better archer, we would all be world class archers." Or something similar to that. Anyway, perfect practice makes perfect.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Like Brittman said, take a few days off to clear  your head.
If you've been shooting for a while your muscles are well tuned. Taking a few days off to clear your mind shouldn't take away from your muscles and should put you back where you were before. We give our bodies rest, sometimes we have to do the same for our brains.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
I would strongly recommend taking professional shooting training. Without it, you will likely develop bad habits that will take a lifetime to undo.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
Two things.  First, what you are describing is normal.  Not only for normal guys like me, but for outstanding guys like Rick Welch and Rod Jenkins.  Not only in archery, but in any sport.  Look what happened to Tiger Woods in recent years.  We all have up days, weeks, years, and down days, weeks and years.  If we enjoy the sport, we work our way through these down times, and hopefully learn something in the process.

Next, be honest with yourself about whether you feel like shooting.  It's not like a job, where you have to go to work whether you want to or not.  You only should shoot when you feel like shooting, and then you'll never have to worry about whether you're overshooting.  Don't ever go out to shoot because you want to adhere to some schedule, or prove something to yourself.  Just go out there if you feel like shooting, and you could care less how well you shoot as long as you get to shoot some arrows.  

Ken Beck once told me that, depending on how you look at it, the worst thing about traditional archery is the number of arrows you have to shoot to get any good at it, but on the other hand, the best thing about traditional archery is that you get to shoot a lot of arrows.  I see droves of compound shooters out at this time of the year sighting in their bows for the hunting season.  They would make horrible trad shooters, because we have to shoot all year to get any good, and the only way you can do that is if you want to.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
Some days your the bug.........

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Dave brought up several interesting points. Along with the notion of only shooting when you really want to, I would add this. What are your goals? Do you want to shoot better for hunting purposes? Do you want to compete in 3-d's locally or nationally? Do you want to shoot spots like field archery or something else. I think it really helps to define what your goals are to assure you're on the right track.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
It's normal to go through those swings. I would thing the fixed crawl  and gap shooters have the least amount of slumps.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
want to get better for hunting season for sure, no matter what i do with this bareshaft they always show way nock high then dip down, Ive tried nocking point and everything, what form issue would cause this?
aim small miss small

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
You may simply be pressing too hard, as some have suggested. We're all in a hurry to get things done, but sometimes it needs to be a slow hurry. You can't fix all things at once, so just deal with a few things at a time until you become comfortable with them. That doesn't mean you will be an expert, it just means that you will be able to recognize a good shot when you feel one. When frustration sets in, take a break for a few days. This is a lifelong journey and should not be entered into as fast sprint. I have been following your posts for quite some time and have noticed your enthusiasm. Maybe you just need to pace yourself and let it happen - just don't force it.
Sam

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
You have probably made more changes to your shooting styles types of arrows, gloves, tabs, grips, and more according to your threads the last few months then anybody I've ever seen on here.

Your shoulders and brain should be wore out bud, give it a rest. At least slow down and rethink what your doing seems like your making this easy game a lot harder then it really is. The answer to your question is "Yes" I think you are over shooting and over thinking. IMO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
You have probably made more changes to your shooting styles types of arrows, gloves, tabs, grips, and more according to your threads the last few months then anybody I've ever seen on here.

Your shoulders and brain should be wore out bud, give it a rest.  The answer to your question is "Yes" I think you are over shooting and over thinking. IMO
Tracy
There it is again brother...same message over and over again.  You need to listen!!    Seriously    :saywhat:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©