3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimum draw weight regulations  (Read 757 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Minimum draw weight regulations
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
I haven't ever worried too much about minimum requirements because we don't have any in Louisiana.  Recently though, I've started thinking about starting to plan for some out of state hunts.  It'll probably be several years still, but just had a few questions.  

I read through some state regs that I found with a google search, and the wording varies quite a bit from state to state.  Some just give a weight while others give a weight at a specific length.  I didn't see anywhere that required over 50# for any game, but could have overlooked something.  

My first question is this.  Is there any state that has a minimum requirement of more than 50#?  I have one bow that is 55#@28", but I draw probably a half inch or so less than 28".  If I ever hunted somewhere with a 55# minimum (if that exists anywhere), would it be wise to find a bow with more like 57-58#@28" to be safe?

My second question is this.  For my wife, who draws around 24", would a bow be legal if it's marked 50@28 in a state with a 50# minimum?  Or would she need a bow that's actually 50 at her draw?  Or would it depend on the state and how the inspecting officer interprets the regulation?

I may be overthinking all of this, but when it comes to the law and dealing with law enforcement, that might save some grief down the road.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum draw weight regulations
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
You are not overlooking anything and your questions are valid. Here in NC for longbows and recurves it is 40# and for compounds it is 35#. Go figure. The bows must be marked those weights. Nothing in the reg states xx @ 28".

Here is the wording:

Archery

l Archery hunting is limited to longbows and recurved bows having a minimum pull of 40 pounds, compound bows with a minimum pull of 35 pounds and crossbows with a minimum draw weight of 100 pounds. Only arrows with a fixed minimum broadhead
width of 7/8 inch or a mechanically opening broadhead with a minimum width of 7/8 inch in the open position may be used for taking bear, deer or wild turkey. Blunt-type arrowheads may be used in taking small animals and birds, including but not limited to, rabbits, squirrels, quail, grouse, pheasants. Poisonous, drugged, barbed or explosive arrowheads may not be used for taking any game. Bolts must use broadheads as described for arrows.

Nowhere does it state the trad folks can hunt rabbit or squirrel with anything less than a 40lb longbow or recurve. The wildlife commission(ers) feel they do us hunters a great service. Here in NC they like to write legislation to confuse folks. Vagueness is sometimes too rampant in the regs. The legalese is all too obvious.

And there are folks who have bows made and have 40@28 written on the bow even though it may be pulling considerably less. 35 is plenty to kill a deer, as long as the shooter is actually pulling back to 35lbs of thrust onto the arrow.

As for your wife, if she is pulling to 24" on a 40@28 bow, then she might be pulling as low as 30-32lbs on that bow. That light is getting too close to too light.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
I can only speak to the West, because that's the only place I've hunted, but I've been given to understand that 45# at 28" would satisfy the minimum draw weight requirement pretty much everywhere out here, although I'm not sure about Alaska, as I've never hunted there.

I've been stopped and checked by game wardens from time to time, but they have never asked to look at my bow or asked me any questions about draw weight.  I suspect that an average looking man with an average looking bow won't be asked about that.  Maybe a woman or child would be asked.  It would be interesting in those states where the rule is that the bow must be capable of casting an arrow a certain distance if they could ask you to shoot an arrow off into the distance, which you would probably never find again.  Probably in those states that require a bowhunter safety certificate, a game warden would suppose that the bow weight issue has been taken care of in that class and wouldn't bother checking on it in the field.

One never knows, though.  I would imagine no one in California has ever gotten a speeding ticket if they're going within 5 mph of the speed limit, but that doesn't mean somebody isn't going to get one for going 70 in a 65 zone tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
The requirements should be @your draw length.  The X-factor is whether the warden you encounter on any given day knows anything about archery and calculating draw weight vs. draw length.  I'd wager that with a large number of wardens as long as the bow said "50@28" on it they wouldn't bat an eye, though I'm not encouraging you to violate any regulations.  I personally haven't read of a requirement greater than 50#, but I don't know ALL the states.  FL for example is only 35#.  Many states are 40-45.  50@24 on a traditional bow would be a lot for most women unless they really trained.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
AZ. almost all big game= 30# standard weight, buffalo =40# standard weight. Now how vague is that? Looks like your at the mercy of a game official if he stops you as what he interprets the law reading!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
This is a topic that always makes for an interesting discussion.  Like yourself, I've not seen a state with a requirement higher than 50# but maybe there are some.

It's difficult to anticipate how the law would be interpreted in the field by an enforcement officer. The structure of the regulations might give a clue.  

One standard answer is to call an enforcement officer but if the regs aren't difinitive you may be getting only one person's opinion.

To be completely safe you should probably use equipment that complies at the shooters draw length

Most field officers are probably going to go with the marked poundage.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
many states have minimum from 35-40#.  They also have a minimum draw length.  If you look at it, it is to ensure that youth are at the appropriate age and strength to ethically harvest game, as well as, the minimum ethical shot of the animal.  I have talked with few Conservation officers in various states and they pretty much know within first minute or two if the person is "legal" or not by talking with them.  As I deal with some legal aspects of things, I find if in doubt, call and talk with one of the state conservation officers, just make sure you talk to an officer or warden not just a secretary.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
Here is how the regs are written in Colorado.

"not drawn mechanically or held mechanically under tension. String or mechanical releases are legal if they are hand-drawn or hand-held with no other attachments or connections to bow (except bowstring). a. Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows with a broadhead having a minimum of 7/8-inch outside diameter (width) and a minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface. b. Only legal, hand-held bows are allowed during archery seasons. c. A minimum draw weight of 35 pounds and a let-off maximum of 80 percent is required."

BUT, the actual statute doesn't always match the regs as printed in the brochure.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
Seems to be more important that bow is marked x poundage instead of put on a scale and measured at a person's draw length. I know of more than one bow out there that has the poundage mis marked on purpose to keep the warden happy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
Nevada used to be the bow had to cast a certain weight arrow a certain distance. Then they changed it   Reading the tag info on a bow-even compounds- does tell a warden what poundage that bow is.  Changing cams can lower draw weights,and our bows do not necessarily draw as recorded.  Understand your concern and applaud your questions
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Currently, my bows jump from 47# up to 53#.  If there isn't a state with a requirement above 50#, I should be good with the ones in the 53-55# range, regardless of how the regs are interpreted.  If I had one marked 50, I might need to do some calling around before going to a few states.  I don't really like shooting over 50-55#, but was just curious if it might be worth it to have one around 57-58# on the rack for certain areas.  Looks like I don't need to worry about it.  And with that, I'm set up to hunt anything in N America.
Matt Toms

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Let's put it this way if the regs say a bow of 50# draw weight and you have a bow marked 50# or more and the warden gave her a ticket I think you'd beat it in court.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
NY, bow with a draw weight greater then 35lbs. Whatever that means.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
If you can believe this document, there are no states that require a draw weight above 50#. Hey, it's on the internet, so it must be true.      :biglaugh:  

https://www.gearheadarchery.com/pages/regulations

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
If you can believe this document, there are no states that require a draw weight above 50#. Hey, it's on the internet, so it must be true.       :thumbsup:
Matt Toms

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
I've wondered the same thing. I have two bows marked 38@28, and I draw just over 30" with a recurve and a little less with a longbow. My 38# bow is closer to 42# at my draw length.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
Alaska is 50# for large big game (moose, brown bear, musk ox and bison), 40# for "small" big game (deer, black bears, dall sheep, goats and caribou...
(unless it's changed since I left)
>>>====> Dave

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
I think a lot has to do with the individual warden. I once asked about the stated poundage at a given draw length, and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said if a bow said 40# on the side of it, it was good to go. I don't think Georgia has a legal minimum now, but it used to be 40#.
Sam

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
New Hampshire has a minimum 60# bow weight for hunting moose, but only 35# for every thing else.
Mass has a 40# @ 28" draw minimum for bowhunting.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
I stand corrected, NH now allows 50# bows for moose hunting, and 40# for all other bow hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©