3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery and Diabetes  (Read 1183 times)

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
Archery and Diabetes
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
I was diagnosed Type 2 just 3 weeks ago and I was wondering if any of you guys that deal with that have any suggestions for anything special that I need to be on the long term look out for. I usually shoot around a 100 arrows a day to keep in shape, but this whole pricking my finger thing has me concerned. So far I have gotten away with my bow holding fingers only and not my string hand, but I know that I will have to switch hands at some point. I'm only 51 and I hope to be doing this a long time. Thank you in advance.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery and Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I always do my left hand and maybe don't check as often as I should. But I have had no problems so far. I lost some weight and exercise on a daily schedule. Keep an eye on your diet, keep active and follow your Dr.'s orders and you'll be fine.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »
Oh yea......I found out I was type 2 when I was 54, I'm 65 now.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
You don't have to get the blood from your fingers, it is probably the most common but arm, leg, toes lol, they all work. Ask your Dr about it.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
Keep in mind that I do not always practice what I preach...  Pricking my fingers has never been an issue as the pricks are very slight. I don't think you will have a problem. There are other things to consider that are much more significant. I seem to be more sensitive to both heat and cold. Physical conditioning is very important, a true weakness of mine. Diet becomes especially crucial. Carbs are not your friend. Keeping your blood sugar in check will really enhance your ability to perform. Weight loss often helps, too (unfortunately, not for me).  In short, watch the diet, stay in shape, and keep your A1C below 7. The finger pricks, though, are not an issue, in my opinion. Let us know how you make out.
Sam

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
2 more thoughts on top of good advice above. First get some glucose tablets and keep them with you and in your day pack, a sugar low can be dangerous. Second get a baseline exam from a local Podiatrist, you will get educated by him/her and establish a relationship to handle any foot ailments that may come up.
shoot straight shoot often

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
Both Sam and katman offer sound advise. I have type 3, support spouse. Wife acquired type 1 at 61 years old. Her issue is lows, she wears a monitor that beeps if she is high or low. She is still able to do archery, painting, watching her dad etc. The finger pricks do not seem to bother her at all. She also watches her carbs but being a creature of habit (eats basically the same foods) she has a very good handle on her diet. She has to take insulin so sticking herself is a part of life now.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the good advice. This is all so new to me. Tomorrow will be day 21 since my diagnosis of an A1C of 7.3. I have been militant about following the Dr's orders and I have lost 15 lbs already. My glucose levels have been in the acceptable range lately as well. I will work as hard as I have to to extend my future time in the field. I must admit that I feel fine now. I just come in from shooting my old Bear Kodiak Hunter and shot as good as ever. Once again thank you for your words of experience.

God bless

Wyatt
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
Diagnosed at 44 with II, was 210 got down to 175/180 a1c running 5.6 or 5.7 and not on any meds. I don't prick my fingers anymore. I did to learn how my sugar fluctuates?? Just for knowledge, past that I know how I need to eat, I know when I get off the wagon and get too many carbs, I just really pay attention day to day how I eat what i eat ect.... I talk to a lot of people about nutrition? Really not docs but weightlifter so and nutritional people that I know have their stuff squared away.

Can I offer a flip sided point of view?? While I don't like the diabetes thing it took being diagnosed its it to make me look at myself and say man you have gotten out of shape!! I let myself get sloppy and I think because of the diagnosis I am gonna stay in the hunting game and the game of life even longer! It was a wake up call for me, I was headed to a heart issue no doubt. It is rough, I don't like thinking I am diabetic but sometime blessings come disguised in strange ways.

Don't be discouraged, amazing what your mind can do if you have the discipline to stick to your goals.

J

Pm me if you'd like to chat? I ain't a doc, well I am a paramedic! Aka ditch Doctor, but I can't say how YOUR body does, I know what helped me! think of it like a puzzle get the pieces, put them in your hair covered computer and try to put it all together.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
I will add that I got my diagnosis after noticing my vision blurring, thought at 44 I was just getting old? But I grew up 20/20? So it was strange, I can't read the TV right now! That was directly related back to the type II issue, blood sugar was 242 I think? Wow hay congrats your type II said my doc, he prescribed metformin I told him I ain't taking any pills! I'll beat it.

Started crossfit, started researching like a devil into nutrition? Got on a paleo kick, kinda steered back away from that though and now believe more into evolutionary nutrition! But save that for another thread -

Still got running bet with my doc! I still not taken any pills and keeping a1c in check.
Always be stubborn.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
I turned Type 1 overnight in 2009 at 38 years old, no one knows why.  I am what you might consider an extreme diabetic, my pancreas does not create any insulin at all, and without insulin to inject myself with, the doctor says I'd likely die within 2 days.  My blood sugar fluctuates between 100 - 300 like it was nothing, and an A1c in the low sevens would be phenomenal.  I usually hover around 8 and the doctor says that's great.

Now, as for archery and hunting...

Take a class on nutrition, to learn the relationship that carbs, sugars, starches, and fats have on your body's metabolization of sugar.  I have been to many hours of such training at my doctors office (diabetes center), and it helps a lot.  You need to know this, it will help you know what to eat and when to eat it, so you don't have a sugar crash while you're all alone sitting 15 feet up in a climbing stand, strapped to a tree and in need of assistance.  (Fortunately for you, it probably is not as severe as that, but that's the stuff I have to keep in mind!)

You probably shouldn't go to McDonald's in the wee morning hours anymore, nor just be content with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.  I find that a healthy and balanced meal keeps me from having sugar issues while exerting myself in the field.

Finger pricks... I test about 8-10 times per day, poke only the end of my fingers (pads, not tips) and have never considered that it could affect my string hand.  Reading your first post was the first time it ever entered my mind.  That part of it is really a piece of cake.

Always carry a tester and a sugar source with you.  I wear an insulin pump, and a continuous glucose monitor, so am a bit more tuned in than you probably need to be, but I would strongly recommend that you keep some candy (Skittles, bottle caps, not fatty candy like chocolate) in your day pack at all times.  It is terrible to have a sugar low, be sweating and have your heart pounding, and have to walk a mile to your vehicle for sugar.  (And that is very dangerous for me.)

I shoot poorly when my sugars are high (over 250), and when they are under about 100.  Once I figured that out, a lot of frustration went away.  

Also, I worry less about sugar highs in the field than about lows.  With a low, I could pass out and die, but a high would not do that, unless it was extreme.

I did a 13-day float hunt in Alaska in 2003, and it was challenging to manage the diabetes.  I had to plan for the worst, and had 4 separate bags packed, each containing a full supply of insulin and all I'd need to survive.  We also had a satellite radio to call in a helicopter if necessary.  No joke!  I had to sleep with all the insulin in my sleeping bag to keep it from freezing at night.  I had sugars all the way from 35 to 450 during the trip, and although there were some rough times, I made it out alive!  The worst times were when I was in the raft, or packing out meat, and the adrenaline of the situation distracting me from noticing that my sugar was dropping.  I ended up getting so sick one day that I had to stay in camp the next day and rest while the other guys hunted.

By the way, this is not intended to be medical advice, and you should talk to your doctor about how to manage your diabetes while engaging in any activity.  I guess this is just a peek into the way diabetes has affected me.

By the way, I'm 46 now, 190 lbs, have never been significantly out of shape, and exercise regularly.  I play competitive hockey, ride a bike a lot, and exercise all the time just because I like it.  Yet even today, with the pump and the continuous monitor, my sugars have fluctuates between 79 and 299 so far, just today.  Diabetes is not a death sentence, however severe it may be.  This is actually a great time in history to be a diabetic!  But it is nothing to sneeze at, either.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Was diagnosed a few years back and was stunned.  I dont have that slaking thirst (except for beer:)), heal from wounds overnight etc.  But my A1C was wicked bad ...11.3 gulp!  Diet and metformin has helped alot.  If my A1C is on track, why self test???  I mean,no matter how little you eat, you will test will spike a little immediately after you eat so I asked my dad, why are you testing an obvious physical reaction...what are you going to do if it is high?

He and I talked to our doctors and they agreed and (he) stopped self testing and save a bunch of money.  If you watch your portion control you might no even need the meds in time...several of my friends have lost the weight and now are med free.

a final note.  many doctors like to prescribe statins wether you cholesterol is high or not due to reducing the risk for heart attack which is higher for diabetics.  Both my father and I suffered the worst side affect from these, severe muscle pain and damage, especially in the shoulders!  I am off the statins now and slowly recuperating from damage from shooting my recurve (100+ arrows a day).  The chronic pain is gone and now healing up and stretching out daily.  Hope to be shooting in 30 days to get ready for a moose hunt in 74 days.  If you dont have complications such as this, I see no reason why Type II would impact your archery at all.  Just my thoughts.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Testing blood sugar on a regular basis is one of the most consistent ways of determining if your diet and treatment plan are working. My doctor says to wait 2 hours after eating before testing, because you will naturally spike following a meal. I agree, though, that if your A1C is consistently good, regular testing is not so crucial. J-dog, it is great that you got the A1C below 6. Mine got down to 7.3, and I thought I had made some good progress, but you have really done well. Fitness and diet are the keys to success. This thread is good for me, as it reminds me to get my a$$ back in gear and workout more while laying off the junk foods. Archie sure speaks truth when he mentions the feeling of a sugar low. My sugar usually runs high, but every once in a while it drops, and so does my ability to function. It is scary as well as dangerous. Some years ago, mine dropped as I was starting my drive home from work. There was an area with no phone service. I knew I was not safe to drive, but I also knew no help could be summoned, either. I really had to work hard just to drive home. These posts all tend to emphasize that as we age health issues become more and more a factor in our outdoor experience.
Sam

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Have had for about 5 years now.  I have been fortunate enough to keep my A1C under control but do still take the metformin.

I told them right off if I had to prick my fingers I'd just right myself off.  Can't do it.

Then I read that I could do the palm of my hand.  I test from my left palm all the time and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Give it a try.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
I'm a dental hygienist (second career). Used to work in a periodontal practice (gum disease patients). Patients who have uncontrolled diabetes (type II) are at highest risk for periodontal disease.  High systemic sugar levels feed the body's bacteria (particularly oral bacteria) 24/7- making them a well fed animal population ready to do harm.

"Uncontrolled" diabetes is an A1c level higher than 7.0 .

Treatment, aside from meds?  Obviously diet is key.  Keep carbs and fats low (no fried foods), and spread out caloric intake.  Multiple smaller portions of calories/carbs is better than fewer meals and higher carbs and calories/ meal  so as to reduce spikes of insulin.

Loose weight. Losing 10%+ of body mass (20-40 pounds) helps a great deal.

Exercise regularly.

I read an article in the last week that cited the benefits of resistance training to a host of health issues ("metabolic syndrome", which includes insulin resistance).  It caught my eye as archery is a form of resistance training. There is a reason the word "bow" is in the name of the popular resistance training device "Bowflex".

Edit/update: link to article
       https://www.hindawi.com/journals/apm/2011/984683/      

Less technical version of research article:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317937.php      

So, cut carbsvand fats. Take your meds. Exercise. Drop weight. Shoot your bow.  Good luck.

Oh yeah, floss a minimum of 3x/week and use 10-15 strokes per tooth side to de-slime your teeth. Flossing with only 2-3 strokes is not thorough enough to remove the living, slimey, loosely attached bacteria on your teeth. If the bacteria are removed from your teeth, they can't eat the sugars in your system.  Get your teeth cleaned well 3x per year.  It takes only 3-4 months for your body to secrete enzymes to go to infected gums ( secondary immune response). The enzymes degrade the tooth's attachment (ligaments and bone) to reject the tooth (due to infected gums).

Diabetes is serious. Tackle it head on and make lifestyle changes immediately. Shoot your bow for resistance training (2x / week for 30 minutes per session for benefits, as per the article).

P.s.
My nephew is a registered physical trainer and runs a website called "lean it up."
    http://www.leanitup.com    

Interesting guy-also graduated from the le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris, France.

He ran a study of the best protein shakes.  A high quality protein shake (meaning high protein and low carbs) is an important part for diet/nutrition overall, particularly when considering diabetes.  Check it out.  I use MRM flaxseed vanilla whey protein shake (from vitacost.com).
   https://www.vitacost.com/mrm-flax-n-whey-vanilla?q=mrm+whey&ta=mrm+whey  

Link for the protein shake review:
    http://www.leanitup.com/review-protein-powder-buyers-guide-150-popular-protein-powders-shaken-graded/    

Good luck.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline Prometheus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I don't want to repeat what a lot of the other guys have already said, but I will echo a few things (I was diagnosed Type 1 about 8 or so years ago, and I test on average around 7 times per day):

1) always carry your gear (tester, emergency sugar, etc.) with you;
2) I've never had any issues with my finger pricks making it difficult or even unpleasant to shoot, thankfully, and I haven't heard of any any other diabetic archers who have, so that's encouraging; and
3) I agree that, although you don't "hope" for diabetes, it has really made me be more conscious of my health, and I think I'm healthier now than I would have been had I never gotten/developed diabetes, and I think that understanding and perspective has been helpful to me.

We all need to take care of ourselves and listen to our doctors. Do your part, and you can handle this.

Good luck too all my fellow diabetic archers out there!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Riser, that is great info!
Always be stubborn.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Prometheus:
I don't want to repeat what a lot of the other guys have already said, but I will echo a few things (I was diagnosed Type 1 about 8 or so years ago, and I test on average around 7 times per day):

1) always carry your gear (tester, emergency sugar, etc.) with you;
2) I've never had any issues with my finger pricks making it difficult or even unpleasant to shoot, thankfully, and I haven't heard of any any other diabetic archers who have, so that's encouraging; and
3) I agree that, although you don't "hope" for diabetes, it has really made me be more conscious of my health, and I think I'm healthier now than I would have been had I never gotten/developed diabetes, and I think that understanding and perspective has been helpful to me.

We all need to take care of ourselves and listen to our doctors. Do your part, and you can handle this.

Good luck too all my fellow diabetic archers out there!
I agree.  Becoming a diabetic may have actually extended my life, because it forces me to take better care of myself.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
Im type 2.  Havent checked my blood in over 10yrs.  Doc does it every 3 mos or so.  Watch ur diet.  U can still eat.  Just eat less.  It can be tough to cut back on sweets/carbs.  Esp when u love chocolate and work at the Lindt/Ghirardelli Chocolate Warehouse.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
Oh Kieth, that hurts, LOL.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©