3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery and Diabetes  (Read 1185 times)

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery and Diabetes
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
More links about diabetes.  Think plant-based protein (legumes, lentils), exercise (avoid sedentary lifestyles/sitting), and weight loss (10% reduction body mass).

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Diabetes/plant-protein-diet-diabetes/2017/05/10/id/789339/  

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Diabetes/diabetes-prevention-program/2017/07/12/id/801283/  

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/moving-meals-heart-risks/2017/03/27/id/780900/  

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Diabetes/diabetes-exercise-blood-sugar/2017/07/03/id/799560/

Hope is not a strategy for type II diabetes treatment. You have to actively attack it. Make healthy changes today, and keep at it everyday.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
I tell folks never say the word "diet" you cant do a "diet" you have to make a lifestyle change.

Good stuff Riser, very true
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 25. I'm 27 now and struggle with various neuropathies. Sucks dealing with it this young in life and I'll have it forever.  Mine is pretty severe. Managing my sugars is not bad but my nerve pain has really hindered my shooting.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
9shocks, and others with type 1 diabetes, wish you the best.  Type 1 is a different beast than type 2 diabetes (as you probably know).  

Type 1 is much less common than type 2 (type 1 about 5% of diabetes cases).  

Type 1 is in many ways more serious than type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is essentially the body's lack of ability to produce insulin (no way for the body to control sugar levels), and is sort of an auto-immune condition. The body is attacking itself, shutting down insulin production.  Type 2 is serious, but at least you have some insulin control.

I truly wish the best for you.

Difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
   http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetes-differences-between-type-1-and-2-topic-overview  

Diabetic keto-acidosis
   http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/ketoacidosis  

Overall diabetes info
  http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/default.htm

Example of diabetes research. There's hope...
 http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20170714/diabetes-treatment-teaches-rogue-cells-to-behave

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
There has been a wealth of information shared here. I appreciate all and I wish nothing but the best for all my brothers of the bow that share in the struggle. For those with severe cases my hope is that you are encouraged to know that you are not alone. I know that I am very fortunate that mine is not bad at all. I have dropped 17 lbs in 24 days on my new eating and exercise program. I honestly feel better than I have in years. My sugars have checked in the low 100's for 2 weeks now. I'm going to start checking every other day now. I have not "cheated" one time to accomplish this.

God bless
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkhunter45:
There has been a wealth of information shared here. I appreciate all and I wish nothing but the best for all my brothers of the bow that share in the struggle. For those with severe cases my hope is that you are encouraged to know that you are not alone. I know that I am very fortunate that mine is not bad at all. I have dropped 17 lbs in 24 days on my new eating and exercise program. I honestly feel better than I have in years. My sugars have checked in the low 100's for 2 weeks now. I'm going to start checking every other day now. I have not "cheated" one time to accomplish this.

God bless
That is awesome and congrats!

In checking your sugar you will probably find you are highest in the morning waking up and lower in the afternoon. I thought hat was strange but with Type II your liver excretes glucose all night, like normal, just a little bit. However since your cells are insulin resistant the little bit of extra glucose builds throughout the night. Then you'll burn it a bit doing daily activities so,lower in the evening afternoon.

Stick with it, first two weeks trying to lower the carbs and cut the sugar stuff is the toughest but I tell you once you get past that first two weeks it is a breeze? No sugar cravings at all -

Careful on the fruit -- I mean it isn't bad but some are more sugary than others? I still eat some fruit but try to study the glycemic index of them to be sure I am not spiking my insulin.

Cheers man, good hunting, shooting
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Will you hunt elk this year? Going by the call sign. Wait to see how you move through the hills after getting into shape and eating good!
Always be stubborn.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Update. I'm down from 222.6 lbs to 198.2 lbs in 38 days. My glucose has been 77 and 76 the last two days. Much better than 151. I feel great. I have been working out religiously and eating exactly what is on my list and the correct portion sizes. My target weight is 180 by November.

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Great news elkhunter45. Congrats.  That is some real dedication to dropping weight.

Hope your A1c levels are under 7.0, indicating being under control.  A1c is a more General glucose monitoring reading, vs a "stick your finger with a home glucose monitor" device.

You are on track to protect your health.  Wonderful news.  Thanks for sharing.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
That is excellent, count your blessings!!  I'm a type 1, and my sugar can go from 100 to 200 in 30 minutes after eating a sourdough muffin!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Awesome subject guys ! I'm new to this diabetic type 2 thing! And because I live archery, you all have answered a lot of questions I had and some I never thought of! Thanks for your input . Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Biggest issue I have is occasionally my insulin gives me blurry vision.

Finger pricks have never been an issue for me.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
Years ago I had a doctor determined to get me on cholesterol meds.  He wanted to do blood tests, I set up an appointment. That night I was up very late, I drank a liter of RC Cola and a banana.  The next morning with only 3 hours of sleep they called and said that I had to come in at 7:30 because they had a new person in training.  My blood sugar was spiked very high and my triglycerides were through the roof.   I tried to tell them no way, because we had been out with the telescopes till very late and I drank a lot of pop.  I was told that 4 hours was enough time.  The stuff that started with a G for my triglyceride levels damn near killed me and took my strength to the point that I could not even shoot a 64 pound bow.  I tossed it.   An osteopath told me what he thought happened.  Prilosec, for acid reflux, the stuff delays digestion by shutting off the digestive actions of the stomach.  His suggestion was apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon in the morning and one before supper and no more Prilosec and two or less RC Colas a week.   There are supplements that control insulin resistant blood sugars and if mixed with cinnamon capsules can take ones blood sugar very low.  This same osteopath told me that often type 2 is a condition and not a disease.   He suggested doing a liver and pancreas cleanse along with changes in what I drink.  When I had surgery to fix my torn abdomen muscles, I was told not to eat before the surgery.  My blood sugar was way too low and they had to boost it before they could do the surgery.   When I collapsed from exhaustion when my wife was in the hospital, the locals here looked at my old charts and decided it was either my heart or diabetes until they took a blood test.  They found that I was extremely dehydrated with low blood sugar.  They poured fluid in me with sugar added all night and made me eat fruit for breakfast.   The osteopath does not like to give meds for type 2, he said they can make the pancreas get lazy.

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Yesterday was my 90 day follow up visit to the Doc. Here are the results of my 90 day transformation. My weight went from 222.6 lbs to 182 lbs,my blood pressure dropped from 140/90 to 126/76, and most importantly my A1C went from 7.3 to 5.1. The entire Doc office was in disbelief. I have been asked to come give my testimony at their office on the benefits of a whole food natural diet later this month. I feel absolutely amazing! Not to mention the hidden benefits. I wake up every morning like I'm 18 again!
   :bigsmyl:

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 09:22:00 AM »
Eat your vegetables and lean meat. I'm from a family of diabetics and I decided I needed to take care of myself better. I weigh less than I did in high school now. My family has followed along and my father is doing really well now.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Always remember that it's a reversible disease...

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Diabetes is not reversible.  It can be managed by many, and very well by some.  If it were reversible, I wouldn't have it.  Coming from someone who has exercised all my life, been a champion runner and hockey player, eats right, and at 6'0"' I weigh 190 and have never been overweight.  I became type 1 at 38.  I'm an extreme case but many type 2's can only improve to a certain point.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Interesting topic for me as the last couple years my A1C has hovered between 6.1 and 6.5 and I think that varies according to my activity level. Now I have slacked off because I need a knee replacement done this fall/winter and my A1C has gone to 7.7
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
I haven’t posted in a long time but I thought I’d weigh in on this subject. First off I don’t do doctors. I’ve always had good health but over the years but I had ballooned to 270 lbs. A little over a year ago I found myself losing my balance. I  sleep outside in a hammock during the summer and on this particular night as I made my way outside I was concerned about my balance and had made up my mind that in the morning I would shower and go to the emergency room,something was definitely wrong. Lucky for me I couldn’t get to sleep so I made my way back inside and laid on the couch and fell asleep. My son heard me moaning and couldn’t wake me around four in the morning. I think I was on the verge of going into a diabetic coma. I vaguely  remember the ambulance ride to the hospital and when I came around learned that my blood glucose was north of 500 with an A1C of 15 plus. I didn’t know the meaning of these terms but in the days ahead I got educated. I was ignorant of blood sugar and its effect on my health. A couple months of an daily injection and Metformin  helped me get my glucose under control and helped me get my energy back. I was able to exercise again. Fast forward to a year later after telling the doctor that I was in charge of my health,I refused the Statin drugs,I don’t do cholesterol. I refused the prescription for my kidneys then she informed me I had the kidney function of a teenager. I realized she was basically prescribing me drugs from a list of drugs for a type 2 diabetic regardless of my overall health. Today I’m down to 203 lbs and losing I jog 4 miles daily 2 in the morning and two in the evening it only takes me about 35 minutes each time and I bike on a local Greenway  twice a week between 20-60 miles a week. I’m not a food Nazi I eat smaller portions and I use a lot of sugar free products. Short story long my last checkup my A1C was 5.1 my cholesterol was 159 with no drugs and I stopped taking any diabetic medication months ago. I still check my glucose once a week to stay on top of it,14 day average 84 ,30 day average 76. So it may not be possible for everyone to reverse type 2 , I did it with  the help of my doctor who understands I have the last word regarding my health and no desire to make the drug companies any richer. When my red blood cells aren’t saturated with glucose they are able to carry needed oxygen to my muscles .It’s great to be able to walk up that steep hill to my stand without having to stop and get my breath every couple hundred feet. I’m 69 years old and my doctor has no idea that I still don’t do doctors.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©