3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not your typical spine test kit....but...  (Read 500 times)

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Not your typical spine test kit....but...
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
A few months ago I posted about how I had some  chundoo shafts purchased about 20 yrs ago, had weighed and sealed them back then, but didn't remember what spine they were supposed to be. I took the three closest in weight and made up 28" arrows with 125gr tips to try.

I am shooting a 47# recurve at 26" draw with ff string and 2016s 28.5" with 145gr tips shoot bullet holes in paper so had an idea of where I should be - but not what I had. One shot just like the 2016s but the other two were hitting nock right (I shoot left) at my 5yd form butt.

I have since built a simple spine tester using a dial caliper to measure deflection. The one that shot ok measured 57# and the other two were 49# and 45#. I cut an inch off the 49# and it flew much better as did another at 48# also cut to 27". For reference I measured a 2016 across 26" and then found an old post here of what it should be at 26" and was within .005" which verified the tester and my technique.      

I have six more shafts in two weight groups that measured 51# to 54#. May make a few flu flus to try. When it's time to get a matched set it's looking like I will be able to go with 50-55 at 27" or 55-60 at 28". Still got time to decide on wood type and overall weight. Boy, it's fun playing with woodies.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not your typical spine test kit....but...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Good to hear you're enjoying it.'Been thinking of rigging up a dial caliper setup for a while myself, it's encouraging to know it's working out accurately for you.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not your typical spine test kit....but...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Joe,
It was your post inquiring about the Ace Spine Tester that got me looking at designs on the web. There are all kinds from simple to contraptions  that look like furniture. I copied the simplest one I saw using a caliper. Didn't even put a base on it - just throw it in the vice and level it. It's slow because the contact point of the caliper is so small but can't beat the cost - $3 for the clamp. It works for low volume measuring.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:32:32 PM by nek4me »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©