3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows and feather size?  (Read 546 times)

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows and feather size?
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I have noticed a 3-Fletch 5" Feather to drop less than a 3-Fletch 4" Feather, both fletched with a RW helical and all other factors being equal.  Not sure if it is the additional spin the extra 1" of feather adds expeditiously with a decent helical or if the larger feather adds a bit more loft, or both combined??

Am I crazy or has anyone had similar experiences??

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows and feather size?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
:confused:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
Yes your crazy   :goldtooth:  
 I don't know that I shoot well enough or have a consistent enough release that I could tell the difference between the two.
 The 5" adds 3" more feather but I cant see how that would make much difference.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Actually, four 4' has more surface.  But, I doubt that under 40 yards there is enough loft difference to tell.  It could have more to do with the hen feather angle on the sight window.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Actually, four 4' has more surface.  But, I doubt that under 40 yards there is enough loft difference to tell.  It could have more to do with the hen feather angle on the sight window.
I went on in my 1st post too thinking he was talking 4-4".
..had to edit it after I saw he actually said 3-4".

...glad I'm not the only one...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
No, I saw the 3 by 4, I was hinting that 4 by 4 is better.  With Surewood arrows over 500 grains, I prefer 4 by 5 these days.  At hunting range trajectories out to 40 yards, I cannot tell much difference.  I have tested fletching, as I posted somewhere else, with a target bow with a bow sight to make sure that I was not cheating, and found the difference is not as much as what some think.  In the real world of angled and swirling wind and less than perfect draw lengths and releases and shooting positions, a little extra feather can help get the arrow straight quicker.  I know we are all suppose to be long draw shooting machines. At midwest shooting events, I am not seeing all that much perfection, it is sometimes difficult to pull off that Silvan Archers pose when teetering on a steep slope with funky footing, while trying to bend an arrow in flight around a tree or obstruction to hit a target or animal. That is when a bit of extra feather can void a deflection, maybe.

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
I have only seen a difference when I shoot the 5" banana feathered arrows I have. But really donot see any difference using 5" or 4" Parabolic or Shield cut.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by MIBIGHNTR:
I have noticed a 3-Fletch 5" Feather to drop less than a 3-Fletch 4" Feather, both fletched with a RW helical and all other factors being equal.  Not sure if it is the additional spin the extra 1" of feather adds expeditiously with a decent helical or if the larger feather adds a bit more loft, or both combined??

Am I crazy or has anyone had similar experiences??
The only way I can imagine this would be true is if the arrow wasn't tuned very well, then the 5" fletches would stabilize it faster than the 4" fletches, and the 5" fletched arrow might go farther.

But if a bow/arrow is well tuned enough to shoot a bare shaft at 20 yards without much deflection, then the bare shaft is the maximum velocity you're going to get from that bow/arrow combination.  Any feathers you add will add air drag and slow the arrow down.  It's easy to see and measure on a chronograph when you compare a bare shaft with a fletched arrow.  Also easy to see if you compare a regular fletched arrow with a flu flu.  Not much difference between a 4" and 5" three fletch, but it's there, if you're shooting tuned arrows.  That's why long distance target shooters use 2" or 3" feathers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Being a full length feather user and burner, I'm switching to 4 X 4 for economy (two fletches from each full length feather) and to keep the feathers off the rest of my longbows.

I don't shoot with enough precision to notice the difference in the way they shoot.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
my bad...sorry.
Guess I'm just off today.

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas!!  Seems I am forever testing and theorizing.  The curse of being an engineer, too analytical most of the time....LOL

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:

The only way I can imagine this would be true is if the arrow wasn't tuned very well, then the 5" fletches would stabilize it faster than the 4" fletches, and the 5" fletched arrow might go farther. [/b]
ditto on what McDave said...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas!!  Seems I am forever testing and theorizing.  The curse of being an engineer, too analytical most of the time....LOL
Analyzing and playing with variables Is one of the fun aspects of archery for me.  Others find comfort in the steady and unchanging methods they employ.  

It's all good fun regardless.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I know from my compound days that an arrow with 4 3" feathers has significantly more drag than one fletched with 4 2" Blazer vanes. I saw at least a 5' drop difference in the two when shot at 100 yards at the local range. Dead on with the 4-2" needed a 120 yard pin to get the 4-3" feathers to hit in general area.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©