3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Archery Fans -- Help Me Pick a Bow  (Read 1129 times)

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Archery Fans -- Help Me Pick a Bow
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
Before we get started, I want to say this is meant to be a fun post. I am a hard working American and I have $500 or so bucks I want to spend in the near future on a project bow to reward myself for something I am proud of accomplishing.

I want a Bear recurve pretty dang bad. Fred Bear is a hero and I want to have a bow he designed. Before I get into the specifics of my request, I want to say I know there are better custom bows to be had out there and I know there might be better production bows I could buy. Don't worry, I will eventually get them. But seriously, right now my sights are set on a new production Bear recurve and I need your help choosing one. I recently handled every model at a trad shoot. Though I did not get to shoot them (impatient wife), I liked the grips and the feel of them all. I know I could get a used one for cheap, but I have been burned so many times buying or accepting used guns, cars, dogs, cats, and boats, I am not willing to do that unless the seller is willing to come to my house and let me shoot the bow until I am satisfied it will not blow up on me, kill me, disintegrate in my hands, attack me, or steal my wife. I figure a new bow with a warranty is my safest bet.

Now the specifics: I draw 26" and can shoot up to 60# comfortably. Looking for a bow in the 50#+ range for all legal wildlife in the great state of Georgia. I am considering the Super Mag 48, Kodiak Magnum, Grizzly, Super Grizzly, and Super Kodiak. Let me know what gets your vote and why. I eventually want to own every model, but I am looking for a fun one to start with. Ideally, I would like one that hits like a hammer with heavy aluminum arrows. It need not be whisper quiet, without hand shock, or even attractive. It just needs to be a new Bear recurve.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Archery Fans -- Help Me Pick a Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I have what you need.  PM sent. You post might get pulled. There is a classified on here that you have to pay for.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
I am not soliciting the site for bows for purchase. I am simply looking for recommendations on which model to purchase from a licensed dealer based on the recommendation of fans of Bear Archery bows. Thank you for your response.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Take a drive to Big Jim's shop in Albany, Ga. He is THE Bear dealer in the southeast. Shoot all the models and choose.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
Yep, I would suggest shooting them before buying one.  Everyone is different and buy different styles for various reasons.

With that said...Personally, I prefer a longer bow so the 48 and KMag would not be at the top of my list.  (although I own 2 KMag).  I would save a little more and get a kodiak.  

Good luck.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
My choice is and always has been the SK. I own TD's as well but only for being able to change limbs. I shoot my SK better, it's lighter to carry and a lot easier to quiet down..
 Only issue I see you may have is your $ limit. I also recommend you try before you buy. It would be worth the trip to a dealer like Big Jim or at least to a dealer were you could shoot a few arrows before forking over the cash.
 Good luck with you quest, TomM, Semper Fi

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
My vote is for the Super Kodiak. As we all know, Fred loved the Kodiak, which is why I love the Kodiak. I love it so much so that I purchase a 1965 Kodiak (the year of my birth). That said, today you can buy the next best thing, the Super Kodiak. If I had the desire to spend more cash, I would buy the 60" takedown in 50#. Fred loved that bow too and it has been an enduring design that lasts even today!

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
I am willing to save up some more for the Super Kodiak or the Takedown. Actually, I was really considering the Takedown, but I heard they were not as powerful as the Super Kodiaks.

I guess another way I should have put my request would be: If you wanted someone to experience how good Bear bows are, which bow would you suggest?

Thanks for all the responses so far.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
I absolutely love the feel of my '65 Kodiak, esp. the grip! I've never shot the takedown, but I will own one someday.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
No question the 59 remake.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
If new, a '59 or a SK would be my choice.  Used opens up many more possibilities.  Any of the Kodiaks are great bows and a 64-67 Grizzly is one of the best shooting bows I know of.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
X2 on the 59 those mothers are sweeeetttt !!!
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
I've owned Grizzly, Super K, and the various TDs.  From your list it would be the Super K hands down.  I like a more massive riser than the Grizzly.

Good bows all though.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
With a new generation Bear, new with a warranty is definitely a good idea LOL.  Just a personal bias of mine.  Ok ok, there are plenty of good used newer Bears out there, you just have to find one hehehe.

Definitely if Big Jim is within 3 hours or less drive of your home I suggest calling him to set up a shooting day.  He has a range with 3D targets on the property.  He and his crew are as good as it gets for customer service!

My vote if you favor a shorter bow friendly for blinds, treestand, or thick woods/brush would be the KMag.  For your draw a Super'48 would work excellent, and they shoot great too but I found the 48 is a bit hard to be consistent with past 20 yds unless your form and release is really top shelf.  The Kmag isn't much longer but its enough to be a good bit more forgiving.

My next vote if you favor a longer 1pc bow is the 59 Kodiak Replica.  Bear did this one right.  

Lastly I say skip the SK and get the 60" Takedown.  And with the Takedown honestly I wouldn't worry about buying used, just buy from a vetted seller, and you can always find and play with other limbs if one set of limbs have problems.  IMHO the speed thing you mentioned would not be noticeable to the naked eye or even on a point on shot, some guys claim the 1pc bow transmits a little more energy but its nothing to bite nails over.

Also, whatever you do, the stock strings Bear supplies with their bows are an absolute afterthought.  Me personally, I'd only keep it as a spare if at all.  Get a well made custom string made from BCY-X or Brownells Fury and you will transform the bow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Super kodiak there fast, smooth, forgiving and quite to boot. Mine was an early 70s model, got dumb and sold it I kick myself every time I see one. I've shot a lot of bear bows none touch a SK in my opinion. But that's just me

Offline RiverRat5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
I went through this a year ago, but left the wife at home. I was looking at the same choices, shot them all at an archery shop. Then I shot that new Kodiak, then shot some more, then ate dinner, then went back and shot it again. I ended up getting that bow. I love it. I also draw 26', it's 45 lbs, perfect for me.  I suggest you follow these guy's advice and make the drive for a test run.  But shoot the Kodiak last. Bring your $500 and wife's credit card to pay the balance.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 01:10:00 AM »
I'm watching this post closely as I have found myself in the same boat. I have shot Hill longbows exclusively for a number of years, but can't get the idea of a Bear recurve out of my head. Great stuff so far!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 05:37:00 AM »
I've had & shot Bear recurves, all my life. The Grizzlys, were always my favorites!!! I have 7 of them, ranging in dates from 1967-1972. Killed a bunch of deer with them!!! The Grizzlys were always touted as "The Working Man's Bow" (& they are as hard working as he is!) That said...
Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted a Kodiak T/D. Back in 1984 while working part time in an Archery Shop, Bowhunter's Warehouse was selling them for $295. It was the only recurve bow they carried. Dang, I thought, I could buy a top of the line compound for that price!? (Stupid me!) So... I kept shooting & hunting with my Grizzlys, and I was happy with that! Untill...
A few years ago, we settled our Union Contract. We all got a fat "back pay" check. New cars showed up in the parking lot, guys bought boats & campers, I had something differant in mind... I called Big Jim!!! I ordered a Two Tone "A" handle riser, with 50# number 1 limbs. I was now, the proud owner, of the Bear Kodiak T/D I had wanted for 40 years!!!
Call Big Jim, make the trip, shoot them all!!
You'll be glad you did.....!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I have owned many fine, custom recurves in my long career as a bow shooter.  Currently I have four curves on the rack--all are Bears.  I like them every bit as well as any of the "customs" I had which are all gone now.  I own a SK, a TD, and the 59 reintro.  Recently I picked up a 1963 Grizzly just cause I wanted to play with one of the older classics--and that bow holds its own with my others.  Of the Bears, I guess my preference is for the Super Kodiak--nothing about that bow not to like.  

That being said, no one can help you pick the bow that is right for you.  As suggested, go some place where you can get hands-on experience.  It might surprise you which one turns out to be "the one".
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
With a 26" draw I feel like the Super Mag and Kodiak mag need serious consideration as well. Any fans of those two? How do they compare?

Thanks everyone who has responded so far. Keep the responses coming. I just found out I am getting a gain share payout from my job so this is definitely happening.
USMC 1997-2005

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©