3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Determining effective range  (Read 1539 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Determining effective range
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
It is absolutely wonderful to hear you guys talk about shooting a "paper plate"!

It drives me nuts when the level of accuracy is described by shooting a "pie plate". Pie plates went out decades ago.
We could move on to ping pong balls.  10" pie plate, gallon milk jug, gold and inner red rings on a traditional target face.  A deer's lungs and heart haven't changed much in 100,000 years.  That should be the 100% goal no matter what measure of accuracy you use.

My favorite: kill a grey squirrel - you can kill a deer.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Effective range is situational to me.
A rut-crazed buck at 21 yards is in trouble....but a spookey doe that's on pins n needles at 15 yards is safe.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
So many right and good post here.

I never really try to establish my very farthest range I could kill deer. I set up to see how close I can get or the closest effective range in a tree in that case. Normally,If deer aren't on top of me I don't shoot because I know at some point that will happen. The farthest deer I've ever shot was not quite 17 yards and I doubt I'll be taking one that far anytime in the future. I need that up close experience, that's what I enjoy the most.I put my efforts in learning how to close up the distance, not try to reach out farther. 12 yards is my most frequent shot it seems.

I'd have to go along with
Orion in his thoughts for the most part on this.

I'll add to Michael Arnettes comment about every shot at an animal is a risk...thats true, but there are also many things that increase that risk, that we can be aware of and can control by deciding when or if we should shoot. For instance I don't care who you are a 20 yard shot is more risky then a 12 yard shot. Shooting through small holes is more risky then a wide open clear shot in every case. So while all shots have a risk factor, deciding to take increasingly risky shots when patience is all that is needed to reduce risk, is a bit crazy.

Sam McMichael , I too shoot several rounds before I go even if it's dark out. I'll use a head lamp if I need. I also take several dry draws to loosen up. There is a bit of a chance to spook animals from it as graps suggested, but I normally know when animals are within a distance where I shouldn't move.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
Graps does make a valid point. In the bitterness of winter, one can't remain totally still. However, it is easy to pull a bow back with  only slight movement. Simply pull the string back and hold it for a few moments. you don't need to raise to a full shooting position just get a reasonable amount of tension on the string and hold. As shadowhunter says, we generally have a good idea if a deer is in our immediate area. There is always that certain degree of risk of spooking an animal, but that is just a part of hunting. The bottom line is that many factors affect effective range, and cold is a major determinant.
Sam

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
I feel that a hunter should consider his effective range at the distance he consistently hit a 6" group. Remember shooting an animal has a lot more variables like angle, movement, heart rate and so on.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
So many right and good post here.

I never really try to establish my very farthest range I could kill deer. I set up to see how close I can get or the closest effective range in a tree in that case. Normally,If deer aren't on top of me I don't shoot because I know at some point that will happen. The farthest deer I've ever shot was not quite 17 yards and I doubt I'll be taking one that far anytime in the future. I need that up close experience, that's what I enjoy the most.I put my efforts in learning how to close up the distance, not try to reach out farther. 12 yards is my most frequent shot it seems.

I'd have to go along with
Orion in his thoughts for the most part on this.

I'll add to Michael Arnettes comment about every shot at an animal is a risk...thats true, but there are also many things that increase that risk, that we can be aware of and can control by deciding when or if we should shoot. For instance I don't care who you are a 20 yard shot is more risky then a 12 yard shot. Shooting through small holes is more risky then a wide open clear shot in every case. So while all shots have a risk factor, deciding to take increasingly risky shots when patience is all that is needed to reduce risk, is a bit crazy.

Sam McMichael , I too shoot several rounds before I go even if it's dark out. I'll use a head lamp if I need. I also take several dry draws to loosen up. There is a bit of a chance to spook animals from it as graps suggested, but I normally know when animals are within a distance where I shouldn't move.
X2,  very well written and I hunt a lot of the same. I think a pie plate is to big of a target though, not good enough in my book. We should be able to shoot better then that more like a 6" group consistently to be hunting big game. IMO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
It is absolutely wonderful to hear you guys talk about shooting a "paper plate"!

It drives me nuts when the level of accuracy is described by shooting a "pie plate". Pie plates went out decades ago.
Haha!  My wife still asks me what a pie plate is.  Old school habits are hard to break.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline jonwilson

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Backwoods Grind Coffee Company
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
Good stuff here. As a fairly newcomer to trad archery, it's nice to see experienced archers stating their effective range within 25 yards. This is completely opposite of where I came from (wheelie bows). In those forums, they like to brag and exaggerate their "effective range".
Coffee for the outdoorsman:
  backwoodsgrind.com

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
While it is important to get all targeted up, I do it too, I shoot hundreds of arrows a day when it is less than 85 degrees, a hunting shot and a target shot have completely different mental things going on.  I have a friend that does not shoot at targets, his arrows are blunts and broad heads,  when one is conditioned to shoot at pesky ground squirrels, starlings, dandelions and whatever at ranges from 15 to 50 yards, a target is a real brain teaser and in some cases a group size means nothing.  He has not missed a deer in years.  I disagree when folks try to throw blanket standards at everybody.  Some people are great hunters and others are good at competitive sports in social settings, like target archery.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Mine changes daily and with what I'm hunting.  When I'm hunting muleys and elk and spend a good chunk of the day stumping I'll shot to 40 on deer and 50 yards on elk.  If I'm hunting trails, saddles extra, from a stand/blind for whitetails 15 to 20 yards is about it.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
How was your first shot? Your not likely to get 5-10 shots at a deer, you're going to get tired whether you want to admit it or not after a couple of shots! First shot cold and how I've been shooting lately is how I determine it and my confidence level! It's a fluid measure!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
For me, my max. distance on whitetails in the mid-west is 15 yards. That said, however, my max. distance for western game, on animals the size of mulies and antelope, is 20 yards. On elk size game, my max. distance would be 25 yards.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
I haven't hunted paper plates yet.  I have days that i could call 30 yards good and ( many) days where 10 is it.  If i get shook and my head isn't on straight i can miss even closer.   I hunt to get the critters as close as i can....slam dunk on any shot i take.  Can no longer chance otherwise.  I don't have what i call an effective range.

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
The first time we take a deer target out to the trees for the year and take a 30 yard shot, most of the time we all shoot an inch or two over its back.  It is odd how the eye of all of us seem to pick on that back horizontal line and shoot high.  We could start up close, but we never do. For expanding my hunting range, I start out at point on and work in.  In the spring i start out with just shooting for form at about ten yards.  The first time i back out to the far corner, 25 yards, it seems like a mile, but when stump shooting 25 yards seems like spitting distance.  My visual comfort zone is a variable, one that changes with how much longer range practice that I have been getting. Although one may never take a 40 yard shot at a deer, I believe it is good practice to shoot at a 40 yard deer target until one gets comfortable with it.  After that, 25 yards won't have the same mental contradictions that it did before.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
I heard an old story one time of a hunt test for some hunt unit or state or hunter education or something...cant remember details.  part of the test was to go to range and shoot 5 arrows with 3 out of 5 having to be in the 10 ring at your effective range at a deer target.  This was supposed to simulate your proficiency to hit the vitals with your arrow to pass the test and get your permission to hunt or your license...as I say I cant remember the full context.  Anyhow all the youngsters and adults went out and some shot their compounds at 20 yds some at 40 yds and most were somewhere in between as all of them were able to put 3 out of 5 in the zone...some more but none put all 5 in there.  THe course instructors stood and nodded approvingly.  Then an older fella with a selfbow and some woodies was next and there were snickers as he toed the line at 20yds squinting and shaking his head nervously...then he squatted and slowly walked up to 8 yds and put all 5 arrows into the 10 ring.  The instructors asked why he did that and did not shoot from at least 20yds or more like the compound shooters.  He told them, "You told me to shoot from my effective range to put 5 arrows in kill zone...so I limited my shot distance to where I could not miss."       He walked away and unstrung his bow...he passed.    Whether this is true or not...I suspect NOT....there is a lesson there for all of us.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
Some years back to gain access to an eastern Iowa city park area they had a shooting test. 25 yards at a paper target.  A recurve shooter did not pass it. They also had a foam McKinsey deer target, he packed his arrows in tight behind the shoulder on that, but the  city dude would not pass him because he did not pass the test on the paper target.  I argued on his behalf, but it was pointless, so I shot my arrows into his precious paper target and told him to keep his tags.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks, Turkhunter, for this post, as I am also very interested in this topic. And with respect to other more seasoned hunters who have posted great advice here, I hope you won't mind if I throw my two cents in here.

While I am new to traditional archery, I have hunted my entire life. When I hunted with a rifle I wanted to take the max distance shot I could. And when I hunted with a compound, I found that I also planned to shoot at my max effective range. Certainly,I had some success, but when last season ended, I came across a nice mature buck that I did not see the entire season. I set out cameras and quickly discovered that this deer, and a lot of other mature deer I did not know I had, never came out in the open to the areas I hunted with a rifle or a compound. I realized, that my hunting tactics were planned around the weapon I was carrying instead of the game I was actually hunting. I had to get into the thick stuff where they were and where a rifle and a compound are practically useless, at least in my hands. Sure, I could use my shotgun, but for a chance at deer like him where I live, you've got to be in the woods during archery season before the shooting starts and the deer get spooked. To achieve this goal, I determined that instinctive shooting with a traditional bow was my best chance at success.

In my scouting and preparations now, I'm not setting up stands and brush blinds for my max effective range -- I'm setting them up for close shots I can make from the best concealment where the animals will actually be. Fifteen and under is my rule now because the terrain dictates it. Sure, I'll probably get busted every time, but if I do manage to make a shot, I am confident it will be a killing shot. I'm practicing as I will be shooting in the field in hunting conditions. An even mix of quick shots and slow draws to anchor and holding for the right moment. I practice from 5-20 yards from my Waldrop Pacseat in a brush blind, up against trees, and behind trees, and from my stand. As an example, I'm hunting this weekend out of a downed live oak I cut a blind into that is downwind of a bait sight I have for hogs. My max shot is under 10 yards on that sight. The hogs have no way to get downwind of me and it will be at night, so I'm hoping I find success.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little in thinking about your upcoming season. For me, the draw of traditional archery is its effectiveness at close ranges and under hurried conditions. But there are a lot better archers and better hunters on here than me, so take that into account when you read this. Good luck this season!
USMC 1997-2005

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
I never understood the maximum range statements.  If a deer is 15 a shot will be taken but 16 is out of the question?  Maybe if that is the case, the confidence the archer has in their shot and their ability is very low and lower.  I guess I would fail any "standardized" archery test, but I've put my share of game down quickly and humanely.  My maximum range resides on a sliding scale, measured by what looks right.  I have killed a deer at 40 yards and 14 too.  I am confident to take a shot, near or far, it if looks just-right.  Likewise, holding off and passing on a shot is easy if I don't feel its the right shot. If I didn't have that belief in myself I'd probably quit bowhunting, or at least regulated myself up to 9, but not 10 yards.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
My effective range varies by what feels right at the moment.  I've shot at some animals that were way out there by my standards and passed on others 10 yards out.  Part of hunting is knowing what shots you can make and when to/not to take them.  How an animal presents, how the woods look, how the lighting is, how in practice you are, what types of cover you have, shot angle, obstacles between you and the animal, what type of animal your hunting etc all have a huge effect on whether or not I take a shot.  

I can't claim that I'm 100% game on for EVERY 10 yard shot or 100% against EVERY 50 yard shot on a deer sized animal.  I can say that my typical shot distance is well under 20 yards and probably 60-70% of the shots I've taken on various game animals have happened at between 5-15 yards.  I've shot much farther out than 20 though with success and passed on numerous shots under 15 yards that just didn't seem quite right.

My best advice for how to learn and determine what's right for you and your particular setup is to practice how you hunt.  Shoot stumps at various ranges, angles, and situations in the woods with the same equipment you'll hunt with.  Make it as lifelike as possible.  Shoot through cover and windows, from various contortions of your body, sitting, kneeling, standing, leaning over, etc.  When you scout take a bow and plink along the way.  Learn your land, your weapon, your body, and how they all interact.  Soon, you'll not only improve your shooting but develop a very quick sense for what kinds of shots are risky for you and what kinds of shots you consistently can drill.  Only shoot at game animals in situations that inspire confidence.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
Like the last two posts I get either a green or red light on when to take the shot.Although the longest shot I've taken on game was 27 yds I've also taken them at almost touching range. Its either a do or don't for me-distance is the lesser part of the question.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©