3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tone woods and bow noise  (Read 587 times)

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
Tone woods and bow noise
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Here goes a weird one:

Many of the woods used in risers, veneers, tips, averlays, etc are usually some of the best tone woods for musical instrument making and are used because of specific fundamental and overtone properties unique to each plank.  Now, if for example, a guitar with a cocobolo or ziricote back is used because the overtones are evenly dissipated after the fundamental note, wouldn't a bow built out of similar woods have a different tone and longer reverberation after the string is released or plucked? Would this not mean that a bow could be louder for longer depending on the materials used?

:smileystooges:

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tone woods and bow noise
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
??? I have no clue but that is an interesting question.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
I can offer my personal observation. I have had a number of different bows by Dan Toelke: Whips, Recurves and Super Ds. Woods have consisted of Cocobolo, Bacote, Macassar Ebony, Black and White Ebony, Texas Ebony, Katalox, Goncalo Alves, Yew, Juniper, Zebrawood, Maple and Marblewood off the top of my head. Every one of them has been exceptionally quiet as Dan's bows are known to be and numerous posts here have attested to. I have shot with other shooters with bows made with some of the same woods in risers and limbs that were anywhere between slightly to just plain loud. I believe that the design of the bow and proper tuning are what determines a bow's quietness not the woods it is constructed from.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
I'm going with Jim's last sentence.

The guitar back is much larger and fairly thin I think(not a guitar guy) Once you glue the veneers to the core, it thickens the wood pc enough to nullify any overtones. The riser is a pretty good chunk too, so I don't think it will make any noise either. We hope anyway!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Not to say the back of instruments don't matter, but it is largely the softer wood in the top that does the most for sound and vibration. Rarely if ever are bow risers made of spruce for instance.

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
Not to say the back of instruments don't matter, but it is largely the softer wood in the top that does the most for sound and vibration. Rarely if ever are bow risers made of spruce for instance.
...and stringed instruments work because of the hollow cavity and it's shape, something a good bow should lack  ;)
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
As mentioned, bow sound comes from tiller, tune and string noise mostly. There can be other factors on breakdown bows because of mechanical parts IMO.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
I think the very fact that it is in the hand would serve to dampen vibration.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
I'm going with Jim's last sentence.

The guitar back is much larger and fairly thin I think(not a guitar guy) Once you glue the veneers to the core, it thickens the wood pc enough to nullify any overtones. The riser is a pretty good chunk too, so I don't think it will make any noise either. We hope anyway!!
I have built a few acoustic guitars and I agree with Kenny's post.not to mention the guitar has a "hollow box"
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
:knothead:     :deadhorse:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I have friends with carbon in their limbs, some of those limbs have a certain sound to them. Most of my limbs have bamboo in them, and a few have red elm. I have used rosewoods in risers, hard maple, sapele, black limba, dymondwood, resin impregnated wood and actionwood..I dont remember any of the being noisy or having a pitch difference..  I think limb design, string material and tuning has a lot to do with "limb noise"

I know almost nothing about "tone woods" I have a Fender Starcaster bass, it's Semi Hollow with an alder center block with maple body,maple fret board and maple neck. My Ibanez "Mikro" bass has a Mahogany body, maple neck with a rosewood fret board..But the one I like to play the most has a.....wait for it....plywood body yes plywood, rosewood fret board, neck is painted but I think its maple. Its a Danelectro "Longhorn" made in 2006, painted black body and back of neck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©